About The Los Angeles LGBT Center
The Los Angeles LGBT Center is the world’s largest LGBT organization of any kind, and one of the oldest. Since its founders first began providing services in 1969, the Center has cared for, championed, and celebrated individuals and families in Los Angeles and beyond. Today, in 10 locations across Los Angeles, the Center’s nearly 800 employees and hundreds of volunteers offers programs, services, and global advocacy that span four broad categories: Health, Social Services, and Housing, Culture and Education, Leadership, and Advocacy.
Despite the Center’s size, scope, and determination to meet the growing demand for services, the organization remains a lean, fiscally disciplined organization, earning a four-star Charity Navigator rating for nine consecutive years. The Center is an unstoppable force in the fight against bigotry and the struggle to build a better world; a world in which LGBT people are healthy, equal, and complete members of society.
Learn more about the Los Angeles LGBT Center here.
The Los Angeles LGBT Center has just completed an exciting and historic capital campaign for its new Anita May Rosenstein Campus that was, by an order of magnitude, the largest ever conducted in the LGBT world. A total of $67 million was raised, plus an additional $63M in affordable housing funding streams. The Center’s donor base is committed, passionate, engaged and generous. Its CEO is a highly- regarded movement leader and skilled fundraiser and the Center is known for its success with visionary, cutting-edge programs. Its new innovative, intergenerational campus and other new programs provide an unprecedented opportunity to expand the organization’s donor base.
At this exciting point in its growth, the Center seeks a seasoned, creative and bold Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead all fundraising and donor communications strategies and initiatives. Currently in its annual program, including its premiere pledge event the AIDS/LifeCycle, the Center is budgeted to raise over $16M. Further, a CDO is sought who is enthusiastic about participating fully as a member of the Center’s talented and diverse Senior Executive Team, which oversees the entire organization, whose FY 20 budget exceeds $141M.
The CDO will serve as a strategic partner to the Center’s CEO and Board of Directors spearheading all fundraising activities which includes completing capital campaign collections and growing the Center’s annual fundraising program. This position will enhance the Center’s fundraising strategies, refine an already-impressive development infrastructure and seize near-term opportunities for revenue, engagement, and long-term sustainability. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated and accomplished development professional who is also an effective team player to lead the fundraising efforts within a progressive organization committed to building a world where LGBT people thrive. The ideal candidate will have experience in all areas of a diversified development program (including planned giving), cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of six-figure donors, public speaking, achieving ambitious annual fundraising goals and collaborating with and managing a team.
The CDO reports directly to the CEO and will be based in Los Angeles.
Design and Lead Development Strategy
- Develop and implement fundraising plans for the organization in conjunction with the CEO and the
- Board of Directors;
- Lead completion of capital campaign collections and follow-up;
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer in creating a Development Department budget with realistic assessments of projected revenue and expenses;
- Oversee regular reporting on progress toward fundraising goals;
- Manage interdepartmental/cross-functional coordination and communication between Development, Marketing and Communications, Finance, and Program Teams;
- Identify and implement strategies that support program staff members’ role in donor engagement and stewardship;
- Provide leadership to committees in pursuit of private fundraising; and
- Participate as a member of the Senior Executive Team in the planning and decision-making process.
Relationship Management and Donor Stewardship
- Work in close partnership with the CEO, Senior Executive Team, members of the board of directors, and other volunteers to identify and cultivate prospective donors to the organization;
- Develop a strategy for attracting and engaging new donors of new and varying profiles;
- Prepare written development – and/or oversee the development of – materials, including briefing memos to support the CEO’s engagement with donors; appeal letters and other donor communications; and select funding proposals and reports;
- Steward current donors into greater affinity and levels of support;
- Oversee stewardship efforts to ensure that donors are well-informed, acknowledged, and appreciated in meaningful and timely ways; and
- Participate and lead donor cultivation and recognition events.
Effective Development Team Leadership and Operations
- Build and lead a best-in-class performing development team with a high level of professionalism and dedication;
- Develop and manage Development Department budgets and understand critical organizational financial issues;
- Select, develop and evaluate departmental personnel;
- Increase the effectiveness and productivity of the team by serving as a coach and mentor, promote diversity and inclusion, and motivate team members with energy and passion;
- Ensure clear expectations with the team while establishing efficient and best practice systems, processes and structures; and
- Handle a variety of special projects and other related duties, as assigned.
The Chief Development Officer will be a collaborative, flexible, passionate leader, well-versed in development and communications best practices and committed to the overall mission of the Los Angeles LGBT Center. Successful candidates will have experience in high-level nonprofit fundraising leadership and management with a proven track record of driving all major fundraising functions and strategy; building a strong development infrastructure and achieving results; and cultivating, soliciting, and closing significant major gifts from a diversified funding base (individuals, corporations, and foundations).
The ideal candidate will also have the following core competencies and personal qualities:
Expertise in Development: The Chief Development Officer will be an experienced leader in the field of development with a measurable track record of success in generating and implementing a fundraising strategy and growing an organization’s development capacity. This leader will have demonstrated expertise with a wide range of fundraising channels with particular focus on major, principal, capital campaign donors, including individuals, foundations, and corporations. The CDO will be a flexible self-motivated team player who will strategically partner with and support the CEO, Board of Directors, and development staff in identifying fundraising opportunities and strategies, planning and implementation of donor cultivation and fundraising events, budget management and accountability, and volunteer activities.
Entrepreneurial and Strategic Leadership: The Chief Development Officer will be a strategic thinker with the vision, capacity, and experience to understand and balance the complex array of development needs and priorities at the Los Angeles LGBT Center. This person will have robust analytical skills and the ability to think creatively and collaboratively, making practical, strategic, and data-driven decisions in a timely, thoughtful way.
Expert Relationship Builder and Manager: This leader will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships externally with donors, funding partners, and volunteers as well as with the Center’s staff internally across all levels of the organization. The CDO will be a decisive, results-oriented leader with a collegial, team-oriented working style. They will have a proven record of visible and effective management and the demonstrated ability to build, nurture, motivate, and retain a strong team of professional fundraisers that is focused on impact, excellence, accountability, and efficiency.
Persuasive Communicator: The CDO will be a superior and diplomatic communicator who energizes, educates, and inspires. As a member of the senior leadership team, this leader will make persuasive presentations on topics of importance to leadership, trustees, donors, staff, volunteers, and other stakeholders with complete transparency and accuracy. They will inherently understand the nuances of creating and delivering compelling and meaningful communications such as proposals, reports, and updates and will have excellent written skills with strong knowledge of marketing and communications tools/platforms.
Passion and Commitment to the Mission: The CDO will have a passion for the mission of Los Angeles LGBT Center and a commitment to supporting the goals of the organization. The CDO’s eye will consistently focus on the future and how to best position the Center as a leader in LGBT services and programs. On the most fundamental level, this leader will have experience with and cultural competency regarding LGBT people. They will be a proactive advocate of LGBT rights and will work tirelessly in the struggle to champion, celebrate, and advocate for LGBT individuals and families in Los Angeles and beyond.
Los Angeles LGBT Center has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Michelle Bonoan and Miecha Forbes. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here or email Michelle and Miecha at the following:
Michelle R.S. Bonoan
Los Angeles LGBT Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. You are encouraged to apply regardless of your race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, marital status, religious creed, medical/physical/ mental condition, sexual orientation, Veteran status, or age.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.