Stamford, CT | January 8, 2020
About Keep America Beautiful
Keep America Beautiful ®, the nation’s leading community improvement nonprofit organization, inspires and educates people to take action every day to improve and beautify their community environment. Established in 1953, Keep America Beautiful strives to End Littering, Improve Recycling and Beautify America’s Communities. We believe everyone has a right to live in a clean, green and beautiful community, and shares a responsibility to contribute to that vision.
Behavior change – steeped in education, research and behavioral science – is the cornerstone of Keep America Beautiful. We empower generations of community and environmental stewards with volunteer programs, hands-on experiences, educational curricula, practical advice and other resources. The organization is driven by the work and passion of more than 600 Keep America Beautiful affiliates, millions of volunteers, and the collaborative support of corporate partners, social and civic service organizations, academia, municipalities, elected officials, and individuals.
Learn more and take action at kab.org.
The Vice President & Chief Development Officer (VP&CDO) fosters a culture of philanthropy within the organization. S/he assures that the organization’s corporate culture, systems and procedures support fund development and vice versa. S/he leads staff to institutionalize philanthropy and fund development within the organization and plans, coordinates and assures implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support the organization. S/he assures development and maintenance of appropriate systems to fund development including but not limited to donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. S/he maintains accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding sources.
As the senior most fundraiser, the Vice President & Chief Development Officer is responsible for the transformation of the organization’s fundraising model by creating the overall development strategy and executing all fundraising initiatives including revenue-sharing initiatives for the nonprofit’s national network of affiliates and partner organizations. Fundraising responsibilities include: short-term and long-term planning; cultivation, solicitation and stewardship among corporate, foundation and individual funders; direct marketing; development of a comprehensive strategic plan for major and individual gifts, and corporate relations. This executive will also be accountable for creating additional revenue sources through innovative approaches to fundraising and new business models. The Vice President & Chief Development Officer will lead the organization to become more innovative and sustainable.
- The VP&CDO will be a key member of Keep America Beautiful’s senior management team, providing leadership and counsel to guide the overall strategic work of the organization as well as lead board development;
- Will work closely with the KAB President & CEO and Senior Management team to operationalize the nonprofit’s vision to build and sustain vibrant communities; and
- This work will include defining and differentiating the organization in the competitive world of national nonprofits, mapping the right strategies and action plans, rewriting the financial and sponsor stewardship models and developing talent.
Role and Responsibilities
As a member of the senior management team, this is a high-level position that helps set the direction and ensures the financial health of Keep America Beautiful. The individual is expected to be a competent fundraising leader and an excellent organizational development specialist. The individual is expected to:
- Participate with the President & CEO, staff and Board of Directors to define the organization’s mission and direction;
- Provide general oversight of all of the organization’s fund development activities, manages the day-to-day operations of the development function and 8-member team, and monitors adequacy of activities through coordination with staff, appropriate committees, and governing body;
- Ensure attainment of the organization’s fund development activities through the selection, development, motivation and evaluation of human resources. Designs educational programs in fund development for staff, volunteers and affiliates; participates as teacher and facilitator. Pursues formal and informal education for self and others;
- Work with the President & CEO, development committee chair and chair of the board to ensure fulfillment of fund development roles and facilitate the optimum interaction between management, stakeholders and donors;
- Design and assure implementation of cost-effective fund development programs, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality and solid return on investment.
- Handle detailed, complex concepts and problems and make rapid decisions regarding management and development issues;
- Develop smooth and constructive relationships with people from all segments of the community; and
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management and demonstrate initiative and work as a team player.
- Commitment to the mission and purpose of Keep America Beautiful;
- Proactive team player, high energy, thoughtful colleague, creative thinker, likes to have fun;
- Proven leader of hands-on cultural change management with ability to influence and drive for impactful results;
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operational, with proven unique ability to lead a team to generate big results;
- Expert knowledge of individual, corporate and foundation arena with supporting demonstrable results;
- Proven track record of raising significant revenues ($10MM-$20MM) with limited resources in short timeframe;
- Proven track record of creating and executing innovative fundraising strategies;
- Expert communications skills and demonstrated presentations to small and large groups;
- Collaborative leadership style with abilities to work with three key stakeholder groups: KAB board of directors, KAB affiliate network and corporate/foundation sponsors among others;
- Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple audiences;
- Strong analytical, execution and management skills and extensive organizational skills with attention to detail and effective time management;
- Minimum 15 years of experience in developing, growing and executing a comprehensive, integrated development strategy in a non–profit organization;
- Skilled administrator with outstanding organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple priorities and to consistently meet timelines and budget expectations;
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas is required: The nature and dimensions of philanthropy, ethics, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events, telephone solicitation, and direct mail, and, development office functions including gift processing, prospect and donor histories, and fundraising reporting.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Keep America Beautiful has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Liz Lombard and Turner Delano. Please submit a resume to Liz and Turner here.
Keep America Beautiful does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.