San Francisco, CA | June 22, 2021
About The Immigrant Legal Resource Center
The ILRC is a national nonprofit legal support center with offices in San Francisco, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and Washington D.C. The mission of the ILRC is to work with, educate, and enhance the capacity of immigrants, community organizations, and the legal sector, in order to build a democratic society that values diversity, dignity, and the rights of all people. Founded in 1979, the ILRC is regarded as one of the foremost experts on engaging immigrants and developing their leadership in the democratic process, providing expertise on complex issues of immigration law, procedure and policy, and engaging in advocacy and educational initiatives on policies that affect immigrants. We are a team-based organization that makes most of its decisions in a collaborative fashion that allows for significant staff input.
For more information on The Immigration Legal Resource Center, please visit its website.
The Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC) is seeking a full-time Director of Finance & Operations based in our San Francisco office.
The Director of Finance & Operations will report to the Executive Director and lead a team of eight. The Director is a critical member of the organization’s management team that provides leadership and strategic guidance across finance, IT, and sales. This includes overseeing administrative services to ensure the organization’s fiscal health and financial accountability, legal and compliance obligations, and technology systems.
Strong candidates will offer the requisite finance, and administrative skills as well as a collegial, supportive, and engaging management style.
While no candidate will bring every qualification desired, the details provided below are representative of the knowledge and skills ILRC is seeking for this important hire.
Mission & Culture Alignment
- Fully embraces the mission of ILRC and understands the full potential, power, and impact of helping people create success for their selves, families, and communities
- Leads by example, understanding that at times, empathy is an essential quality.
- With an eye consistently focused on the future, the Director will know how to best adapt ILRC’s financial and operational activities to an ever evolving environment.
- Demonstrates excitement to be part of a team that is focused on identifying creative and strategic solutions.
- Manage annual agency budget of $19+M, working with the Executive Director to create a yearly budget for review and approval by the Board of Directors
- Provide fiscal management throughout the year, tracking income and expenses, reporting monthly progress to budget, and highlighting issues and areas for focus
- Ensure compliance with external requirements and regulations, including annual audit, tax return reporting, and all state and local filings
- Manage all accounting functions to ensure outstanding services and appropriate controls for payroll, re-granting, payables, receivables and cash management
- Provide financial support to programs, including models for grant proposals and financial reporting for funders
- Monitor and manage investments, including monitoring the manager of long-term investments, and directly investing our short-term cash
- Manage insurance policies and vendors, including general liability, employment practices, professional liability and workers’ compensation policies
- Provide support as needed to the ILRC’s benefits programs, including retirement programs and pre-tax contribution
- The Director will be a thought partner to the IT staff, who will independently execute the following day-to- day technology and facilities functions:
- Provide routine, high-quality office applications, including hardware and software, ensuring our systems and data are secure from outside threats
- Support multiple devices that employees use to access systems, allowing staff to be productive, nimble, meet compliance requirements and maximize revenue
- Select and manage technology vendors
- Manage updates and upkeep to the San Francisco facilities
- Support the publications operation including producing book files and managing marketing codes and product pages as well as the sales process (including conferences and vendors).
- Provide direct support to the Finance and Audit committees of the Board of
- Present to the Board of Directors 4-5 times per
- Staff the ILRC Board finance committee and provide regular reporting to the ILRC Board of Directors and finance
Desired Skills, Qualities and Characteristics
- A strong personal interest in working in a diverse organizational environment committed to racial justice and immigrant rights
- 8-10 years of financial and accounting experience in a leadership role
- Not-for-profit experience in a social justice organization preferred
- Previous experience serving on a senior management team, preferably working with the Board of Directors
- Advanced financial modeling and forecasting skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience coordinating the budgeting process for an organization with a multi-million-dollar budget and significant grant funding and re-granting
- Strong project management skills, including the interest and ability to lead on solving cross-functional matters across the organization
- A knack for understanding and optimizing the financial and administrative components of the organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex data, findings, and ideas clearly to audiences of all skill levels
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and supporting the professional growth of direct reports
- A strong work ethic, including the following qualities: organized, flexible, reliable, goal-oriented, and dependable, with the ability to be an independent worker, and
able to handle several projects simultaneously while thriving in a team-based collaborative decision-making environment
- A compassionate individual who displays and embodies respect for all co-workers
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related discipline; CPA helpful.
Compensation & Benefits
The pay range for this role is $150,000 – $170,000, commensurate with experience. The ILRC offers excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance, a flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, vacation, and sick leave. The ILRC also sponsors a retirement plan option upon fulfillment of eligibility.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Shelby Woods, and Martens Roc are leading this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Immigrant Legal Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
At Koya, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.