Durham, NC | July 22, 2020
About Forward Justice
Forward Justice is a nonpartisan law, policy, and strategy center dedicated to advancing racial, social, and economic justice in the U.S. South. They serve as a strategic partner for nonprofit organizations, coalitions, and networks at the forefront of movements organizing for a more just, equitable, and free South. Their work catalyzes tangible success for movements and expands democratic opportunities for people affected by injustice.
For more information on Forward Justice, please visit its website.
Forward Justice seeks a Staff Attorney to support their racial justice movement work, including program work in democracy, voting rights, economic justice and criminal justice. This position will report directly to the Legal Director.
Job duties include direct legal representation and litigation, advocacy involving community outreach and coalition building, writing and publishing reports, planning and participating in community meetings, and legislative research. Candidate should have excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent project management skills, and a keen interest in Forward Justice’s mission.
The ideal candidate will have an unwavering commitment to excellence, a deep analysis of the intersectional issues relating to racial justice and democracy, economic justice and criminal justice, and a commitment to using the law to develop creative strategies toward movement-building goals.
- Litigation, legal, and campaign support under supervision of the Legal Director.
- Research legal and policy analysis related to democracy, economic justice, criminal justice and other racial justice issues.
- Draft complaints, briefs, motions, memos, reports and other documents in support of litigation and policy work.
- Perform legal research, design litigation strategy, draft legal documents, and maintain legal calendaring.
- Communicate regularly with Forward Justice’s clients, co-counsel, advocacy and partner organizations.
- Policy responsibilities may include analyzing law, preparing advocacy materials, assisting in organizing and grassroots campaign strategies.
- Supervise outreach activities related to cases and campaigns.
- Supervise, mentor, and manage the legal work and related tasks of team members, law fellows, interns, and outreach paralegals.
- Represent Forward Justice in various forums, including before community groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Case development, including the ability to manage and collaborate with national, state and local advocacy organizations, other litigators and co-counsel.
- Excellent legal research and writing, consistent attention to detail and the ability to manage, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Enthusiastic self-starter, with strong project management skills and ability to multi-task at a high level.
- Aptitude for and willingness to be a team player.
- Initiative, vision, and a proven commitment to the struggle for racial justice.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills, follow-through and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to work on several campaigns at once in conjunction with other staff.
- Strong communication skills and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with diverse groups of partners.
- J.D. degree; admitted to practice law. Preference for North Carolina barred attorney.
- Three plus years of experience.
- Superb legal research, writing, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal, active listening, and communication skills.
- A high level of independence, initiative, creativity, and good judgement.
- Commitment to Forward Justice’s mission, vision, and values.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email [email protected] and [email protected]. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Forward Justice is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. It welcomes and encourages applications from those who will increase their staff diversity. Women, people of color, directly impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.