Durham, NC | June 7, 2021
About Forward Justice
Forward Justice is a nonpartisan law, policy, and strategy center dedicated to advancing racial, social, and economic justice in the U.S. South. They serve as a strategic partner for nonprofit organizations, coalitions, and networks at the forefront of movements organizing for a more just, equitable, and free South. Their work catalyzes tangible success for movements and expands democratic opportunities for people affected by injustice.
For more information on Forward Justice, please visit its website.
The Director of Finance will play a critical role working directly with the Co-Directors on strategic decision making and operations as the organization continues to grow its impact in North Carolina and beyond. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
- Promote and ensure a culture of financial transparency, consistent communication, and meaningful collaboration with colleagues;
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Co-Directors; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and keep senior leadership team informed of the organization’s financial status;
- Produce, analyze and present financial reports; communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial accounting; manage organizational cash flow and forecasting;
- Provide financial insight into strategic decision-making throughout the organization;
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors as necessary, prepare and file annual reports;
- Evaluate Forward Justice’s current financial systems, identify areas for improvement and implement changes; participate in the hiring and on-boarding of finance staff as needed, and manage the department as it grows.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with accounting and financial systems as well as the ability to develop fiscal policies, procedures, and systems informed by finance and industry best practices;
- Proven track record of managing complex projects, including the ability to creatively problem solve, to focus on the strategic landscape, to effectively delegate, and to take responsibility for decisions;
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – colleagues who may or may not have a finance background;
- Skilled at working to solve problems and advance an institution’s goals including setting priorities;
- Comfort with technology; ability to update systems and processes using technology, and the ability to train team members on new ways of executing the work.
- At least 5 years of overall experience in financial/accounting roles;
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a significant program area;
- Past experience managing and growing a finance team, or comparable experience;
- Minimum of advanced degree in a related field required;
- Knowledge of the nuances of 501c3 finances required;
- Keen analytic skills which support and enable sound decision making;
- Willingness to dig into the details;
- Active listening skills, including the ability to understand and to show respect and empathy for others;
- Commitment to Forward Justice’s overarching goals and objectives.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email [email protected] and [email protected] directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Forward Justice is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. It welcomes and encourages applications from those who will increase their staff diversity. Women, people of color, directly impacted, queer, trans folks, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.