Boston, MA | April 29, 2022
About Fidelity Foundations
The Fidelity Foundations are a group of private foundations that fund a diverse set of programs on a national scale. The Foundations are committed to advancing the long-term vibrancy of communities through capacity-building investments in non-profits from across arts and culture, education, conservation, health, and economic opportunity. We have a deep history of funding organizations in Boston and New England for over 50 years. We also support non-profits that strengthen the communities in other regions of the country where Fidelity Investments employees live and work.
Today, the Foundations are at an important and exciting stage in our organizational history, having grown and evolved in recent years under new leadership. As our strategies and organization continue to develop, we are seeking individuals with skills and expertise that support the advancement and execution of a long-term portfolio of significant and strategic philanthropic investments.
As a capacity-building funder, the Foundations seek to make catalytic, lasting investments in non-profits at strategic inflection points and support projects that substantially enhance their impact and sustainability. Our values of integrity, compassion, innovation, and a deep sense of humility guide our grantmaking which is executed quietly, and most grants carry external anonymity.
Learn more about their Foundations at: www.fidelityfoundation.org
The Director of Communications is a new position that will be responsible for overseeing and managing the Foundations’ communications needs and advancing strategic projects in support of the Foundations’ mission and interests. The Director of Communications will build the communications function, write strategic communications for internal and external audiences, and oversee internal and external communications tools. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations and working closely with the President and the entire team, the Director of Communications will both contribute to organizational strategy and support long-term organizational success as well as lead and execute communications projects within a complex, matrixed, and evolving organization.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a strategic partner to senior leadership to advance long-term organizational success through strategic messaging and key communications platforms
- Develop and oversee execution of key internal and external communications projects serving as a project manager and lead content developer, including the management of select vendors and partners as appropriate
- Write and edit a variety of communications deliverables including strategic memos, announcements, board summaries, and website updates
- Lead on the development, implementation, and ongoing oversight of the Foundations website
- Manage and generate content for essential digital communications tools, including an internal communications hub
- As a guiding expert, serve as an internal resource to all staff on best practices for written and verbal communications
- Stay informed of trends, best practices, and activities in non-profit and foundation communications and translate them back to the organization as appropriate
- Evaluate communications needs against stated objectives and strive for continuous improvement
The Director of Communications will be a highly collaborative and collegial team player who listens and communicates well. Confident and knowledgeable while also humble and down to earth, they will bring a high level of intellect, curiosity, judgment, and interpersonal skills to the role. They will exhibit many, but likely not all, of the following experiences, attributes, and competencies:
- Minimum of eight years of related work experience; experience in non-profits or private philanthropy is strongly preferred
- Skill at translating ideas and concepts into clear, concise materials that are compelling and engaging for a range of internal and external audiences
- Proven experience in as a strategic partner and an implementer, leading projects and building systems within a complex organization
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, collaborative relationships at all levels, drawing on a high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to foster mutual trust and respect
- Ability to meet deadlines and work flexibly and creatively within a fast-moving, changing, and complex environment
- Natural curiosity and ability to envision possibilities, with an eye towards aligning opportunities with the priorities of the Foundations
- Alignment with the Foundations values and a commitment to diversity and inclusion, a service orientation, enthusiasm for continual learning, and respect for confidentiality
Compensation & Benefits
The Fidelity Foundations offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an annual performance-based bonus, and a comprehensive benefits package.
The Fidelity Foundations are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive professional environment. We encourage applications from candidates with a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Boston, MA (Proximate to Downtown Crossing); the current work environment is hybrid with all staff expected to be on site on a weekly basis.
Background Check Process
All finalist candidates for roles at the Fidelity Foundations are required to undergo a rigorous background check process.
The Fidelity Foundations are committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees, grantees, and candidates. To ensure your safety as a job candidate, we will be relying on virtual interviewing and other digital communications; we may request an in-person conversation for finalists. Note that we currently require COVID-19 vaccination attestation for in-person interactions. We are committed to providing the support you need throughout the hiring and onboarding process. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility during this time.
Koya Partners has been exclusively retained for this engagement. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email [email protected]. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
Fidelity Foundations is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.