About Financial Health Network
The Financial Health Network (formerly the Center for Financial Services Innovation) is the leading authority on financial health. We envision a future where all people, especially those who are most vulnerable, have the day-to-day financial systems they need to be resilient and thrive. We are a trusted resource for business leaders, policymakers and innovators united in a mission to improve the financial health of their customers, employees and communities. Through groundbreaking research, advisory services, measurement tools, and opportunities for cross-sector collaboration, we advance awareness, understanding and proven best practices in support of improved financial health for all. With offices in Chicago, New York, San Francisco and Washington, DC, the Financial Health Network is a fast paced, entrepreneurial and collaborative environment, seeking people who share our values: Innovation; Passion; Excellence; Impact; Directness; Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Our approach informs the work that we do and the communities we seek to help. We believe:
- Financial health should be accessible by all. Opportunities to build resilience and thrive should be inclusive of everyone, including communities that have historically been marginalized.
- Improved financial health is good for business. Financially healthy customers drive new opportunities for increased engagement, loyalty and long-term revenue streams. Thriving employees result in better productivity and increased retention.
- Meaningful improvements in financial health require an integrated, cross-sector approach. A productive financial health network includes stakeholders across industries, policy influencers, and technology innovators.
- Financial health innovation isn’t just about technology. It takes many forms, including emerging technologies like AI and machine learning, dynamic partnerships between nonprofits and the private sector and new ways to address policy and regulation.
- Deep consumer insights are central to providing better financial health offerings. Measuring what works to improve the financial health of customers, employees and communities allows organizations to build solutions that meet customer needs and show impact over time.
This is a full-time position located in Chicago, IL. For more information on the Financial Health Network please visit www.finhealthnetwork.org and follow us on Twitter at @FinHealthNet.
The Chief Operating Officer Opportunity
At this important time in the organization’s history, the Financial Health Network seeks to hire a seasoned, strategic and mission driven Chief Operating Officer (COO) to lead its internal operations, ensure that all people and systems are operating in support of the organization’s mission, and scale the organization’s future impact. The COO will be a detail-oriented and disciplined leader who is able to translate vision and ideas into results and motivate and inspire the team. Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the President & CEO and others on the Leadership Team, the COO will have the skills and personal confidence to empower others while holding them accountable to deliver measurable results. The COO will be an integrator, championing cross-functional collaboration, with a focus on positioning the organization for forward-looking growth. With a passion for the mission, a strong work ethic, a commitment to transparent and concise communication, and the ability to learn quickly, the COO will have the opportunity to play a tremendous role in Financial Health Network’s impact in the coming years.
Key criteria for success for the Chief Operating Officer include:
Results Orientation – The COO will have a proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
Strategic Vision – The COO will have the ability to anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan; experience scanning the landscape for opportunities and enabling growth and innovation in response
General Management – The COO will have broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems. These include:
- Strategic Financial Oversight and Planning
- Risk Management
- Business Operations
- Facilities & Office Management
- Board & Funder Relations
Capacity Building – The COO will have the ability to effectively build organizational capacity, developing the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
Leadership and Organization – The COO will have exceptional abilities around managing, leading and developing people; a team builder who has experience in growing organizations
The COO of Financial Health Network will possess the following attributes and competencies:
Passion for the Mission
The COO will lead by example, demonstrating a passion for the mission of Financial Health Network and a belief in the power of financial empowerment to change lives. With a keen focus on achieving organizational goals and a strong operations background, they will understand and model the importance of efficient business practices as a key factor in organizational success. The COO will consistently have an eye on the future and be looking for ways for the organization to adapt to its changing environment. They will be an empathic, confident leader who treats others with respect. The COO will understand the value of relationships and will consistently be looking for opportunities for the organization to facilitate both internal and external stakeholders towards increased impact.
Strategic Leadership and Management
The COO will be an experienced leader who enjoys inspiring staff to achieve exceptional outcomes and models a customer service approach to shared services. Working with the President & CEO as a member of the Leadership Team, they will help to translate the organizational vision into a strong business model for the organization, lead the team to execute the business model efficiently, and continuously make improvements based on internal learning and market feedback. Smart and confident in their ability to contribute, they will be highly collaborative, skilled at managing in all directions and will approach others with a deep level of respect and curiosity. The COO will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
The COO must be able to build and sustain excellent relationships at multiple levels internally and externally and must demonstrate emotional intelligence, a high level of cultural fluency and a deep respect for the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. In addition, they must readily be able to understand how to nurture and leverage external constituencies, including the Board of Directors, partners, donors and investors, and key vendors and contractors, in order to best execute against the business model, deliver exceptional services, and ensure financial sustainability. It is imperative that they are an excellent and persuasive communicator with exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills, and the ability to foster an atmosphere of collaboration and partnership across and beyond the organization. They will help to build and retain a talented team and be deeply committed to the personal and professional growth of the staff.
Business Acumen and Strategic Financial Management
The COO will bring strong experience with strategic financial oversight and an outstanding and comprehensive record of overseeing various businesses. They will have proven experience in process management, budgeting, strategic forecasting and planning, capital planning, and in overseeing financial, accounting, compliance and risk management of a complex organization. An experienced executer who can link strategy with tactics, they will have experience with knowledge management, a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use financial and operational metrics to drive organizational decisions and achieve strategic objectives. The COO will also be skilled at presenting financial and operational information in a clear, concise fashion to a range of constituents with varying levels of expertise in those areas.
- Deep belief in and commitment to the mission of Financial Health Network
- 10+ years of senior leadership experience in a nonprofit or business environment
- Highly strategic mindset, including experience developing plans for growth and scaling a business or an organization
- Ability to drive progress against a plan in service to Financial Health Network’s strategic direction with an affinity for/experience with impact-driven decision making
- Demonstrated strategic financial management skills; knowledge of nonprofit finance a strong plus
- Demonstrated success in business or program operations and experience implementing systems and structures designed to increase efficiency and standardization
- Strong affinity for technology and experience identifying ways to capitalize on technology to achieve a mission
- A high level of personal responsibility and demonstrated experience growing and leading talented and experienced teams to excellent results
- High level of cultural competence and a commitment to building an environment that respects and values diversity, equity and inclusion
- Highly developed relationship-building skills and an ability to establish positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working with a nonprofit Board of Directors and knowledge of Board governance
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Financial Health Network has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
The Financial Health Network believes deeply that diversity is an asset to, and of, the organization and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.