About Exposure Labs
Our Mission and Model
Exposure Labs uses stories to change the world. We believe that stories are the most powerful catalyst to build empathy, shape culture, foster equity, and shift systems. We share stories and craft campaigns to address big societal challenges.
We envision a world that is fair, just, and equitable for all people and the planet. A world that is sustainable and regenerative, where people recognize that science and truth can prevent unnecessary pain and suffering, where we recognize the complexities, nuances, and differences that unify us, and where we work together to build a better future for all.
We operate uniquely as a hybrid impact studio and film production company. Since 2012, we’ve been using our films on climate change – the Oscar-shortlisted and Emmy-winning Chasing Ice and Chasing Coral – as tools to advance the climate movement. We’ve challenged skeptical politicians, advanced clean energy legislation, and helped to shift the global narrative on climate change. With our latest film, The Social Dilemma, we shed light on the business models driving our toxic information ecosystem, which has hindered humanity’s ability to address climate change and many other issues.
Our Values & Culture
We believe a sustainable world must be fair and just for all people and the planet and that the path forward requires an intersectional approach to overcome systemic and institutional injustices. We believe passionately in the power of storytelling to change the world, and we value big ideas and creative thinking. We approach conversations with an open mind, respect, and humility, recognizing the need to unite, not divide, people around the challenges we face.
We don’t shy away from hard questions, and we maintain the open-mindedness to challenge our own beliefs. We seek out perspectives that differ from our own, approach the world with curiosity, and take the time to embrace the nuance in ideas.
We do what we believe is the right thing, even when it’s not the easy thing, putting time, thought, and care into our decisions, actions, and partnerships. We believe that a better world is possible and we recognize we must contribute and do our part to realize that change.
We are a small team with members in California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, New York, and Utah. Our world is fast-paced and at times demanding, yet we look out for each other’s well-being and know when to slow down; we work flexible hours with the energy of a start-up. As a close-knit and collaborative team, we prioritize working with passionate people who have a positive attitude and are down to earth.
For more information, please visit www.exposurelabs.com.
The Managing Director Opportunity
The Managing Director position is an exciting opportunity to bring complementary skills to the senior leadership team, working in partnership with our Director & Founder and Producer & Head of Creative Development. A critical senior leader with strengths as a manager, strategist, and culture-builder, the Managing Director will work to bring Exposure Labs’ mission and strategy to life by supervising, developing, and empowering our all-star team. The Managing Director will ensure that team members throughout the organization have the vision, leadership, and support they need to succeed in their roles and contribute to our shared mission and goals. They will need to balance the urgency of the issues we are addressing with the sustainability of our organization and team. Acting as a champion for our values, the Managing Director will guide our ongoing work in fostering an equitable and inclusive culture.
- Partner with other members of the Senior Leadership Team in long-term strategic planning, including organizational- and campaign-level resource planning
- Ensure progress toward our strategy and vision by ensuring that team members understand our organization’s overall direction and have the supports they need to contribute to our vision, goals, and culture
- Facilitate input and feedback from the broader team that can inform the ongoing evolution of our strategic approach
- Oversee staff across impact, production, development, and operations functions; maintain a vision for how these different functional areas can best support each other
- Manage, train, develop and support the work of a team of director-level direct reports and advise and coach these team members in their roles as staff managers
- Foster a high-performance environment by maintaining team motivation and morale, creating opportunities for celebration and learning, setting appropriately ambitious goals, and upholding our core values and culture in every aspect of our work
- Deepen the integration of our values of equity, justice, diversity, and inclusion into our operations and culture
- Enable seamless communication between different project leads and team members, orchestrating many moving pieces in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment; develop institutional learning and knowledge management practices
- Work with other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure our organization remains financially viable and sustainable and compliant with regulations and best practices across financial, legal, and human resources processes
As the incoming Managing Director, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following qualifications and characteristics:
- You are a strong team leader and manager, with experience building, leading, motivating, and developing teams of various sizes in fast-paced environments; prior success in managing cross-functional groups of staff will be considered a strong plus.
- You are a strategic thinker who is excited to collaborate with other leaders on translating a vision into action and results. You can anticipate the needs of team members, balance the perspectives of different stakeholders, and proactively plan for how to address potential challenges.
- You demonstrate excellent professional judgment, strong communication skills, and the ability to build trust within a values-driven organization. You collaborate well with others and foster an open environment for creativity and ideation.
- You are passionate about social change and eager to work in an organization that addresses a variety of meaningful causes. Prior experience in managing teams on social impact campaigns is considered a plus.
- You share our commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, as evidenced through your professional or personal activities, ideally with experience working with teams or organizations on culture change that supports these values.
- You are a thoughtful leader who is candid about achievements, shortcomings, and opportunities for learning and growth. You make decisions based on supporting the mission, vision, and team well-being.
- While you take initiative and can drive work independently, you are not afraid to ask for help or clarity when needed.
- You possess strong organizational skills, with detail-orientation and the ability to prioritize, delegate, and meet deadlines.
- You are effective in leading within a remote/virtual environment; demonstrated experience and success in this type of work setting is considered a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this role starts at $100,000. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance and unlimited paid time off.
This position may require light travel in the future. Traditionally, travel for this role would include team retreats, advisor summits, film festivals, and screening events. Travel would typically include overnight trips – depending on location – and would primarily be domestic. Occasional international travel may be involved, if relevant for a particular campaign or goal.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Cassie Scarano and Kirstin Griffiths are leading this search. To express your interest in this role, please click here.. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion: Exposure Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status, to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.