Per Scholas drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, Per Scholas prepares motivated and curious adults who are un- or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals and creates on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents.
Since 1995, Per Scholas has trained 6,000 individuals, helping them build successful careers in technology and spurring economic development in their communities. Today, Per Scholas works across the country in Atlanta, Greater Cincinnati, Columbus, Dallas, the National Capital Region, and New York City and is headquartered in South Bronx, NY.
Primary support for Per Scholas’ work comes from private and corporate foundations, government grants/contracts, and individual donations. Earned income models, including an asset recovery service, deliver additional funding.
With a budget of over $10M and a staff of approximately 80 people, Per Scholas is in a rapid period of growth, creating an opportunity for larger and more strategic national and local funding partnerships. In this moment of expansion, Per Scholas seeks a forward-thinking leader, the Executive Vice President, Resource Development and Communications, to oversee the development and communications functions of the organization.
This is a full-time position located in New York, NY with regular travel to Per Scholas national sites and other locations, as needed. Flexible and remote work opportunities are possible in the Greater New York City area. For more information on Per Scholas, please visit www.perscholas.org.
Working at Per Scholas:
Per Scholas believes the staff is the heart and soul of the organization. The workplace culture is supportive, collaborative, challenging, and mission-driven. Per Scholas takes a genuine interest in career paths and work-life balance, and considers contributing ideas from staff at all levels. Working at Per Scholas means working somewhere full of engaging, savvy, diverse people who care deeply about pushing the mission forward.
You’ll enjoy company happy hours, retreats, a welcoming and casual professional environment, self-development opportunities, innovative technology, and benefits like affordable health care and a 401K match. Per Scholas is proud to be a progressive organization, where every person on staff can build something meaningful, bring their whole self to work, and have fun while doing it.
Based in New York City, the EVP, Resource Development and Communications will lead the strategy development and execution of an innovative, diversified funding model that builds on key partnerships for the organization. This work will incorporate traditional fundraising elements, namely corporate and foundation partnerships with a moderate amount of individual giving, alongside new models of resource development.
These new areas include venture philanthropy, impact investing, social impact funds, Pay for Success, or other opportunities that leverage the unique programmatic model that Per Scholas offers.
As an external representative for Per Scholas in these partnerships, EVP, Resource Development and Communications will be a passionate advocate for innovative workforce development programs. Working closely with the CEO, s/he will act as a leading spokesperson and representative with funding partners and prospects to engage and solicit new partners. Leveraging those relationships, the EVP, Resource Development and Communications will lead her/his team in managing effective relationships that ensure continued funding growth.
To align the linkages between marketing/communications and development, the EVP, Resource Development and Communications will also manage Per Scholas’ communications functions. S/he will serve as a senior leader in the organization, partnering with the CEO and other members of the National Leadership Team to contribute to the strategic growth of the organization.
A team of six staff members will report into the EVP, Resource Development and Communications, including, two Development Associates, a Development Director, as well as two Marketing Managers and writing consultants. S/he will also collaborate closely with the Social Ventures team, who lead the organization’s revenue-generating enterprises. Beyond the direct management role, the EVP, Resource Development and Communications will serve as the internal expert and guide for regional directors, who manage their own fundraising partnerships.
- Senior experience (at least 8-10 years) building sophisticated partnerships and alliances, primarily with national corporate, foundation, and/or government funding partnerships (understanding of individual giving is also helpful) with multi-million dollar revenue targets
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills with significant experience pitching, presenting, and engaging audiences, leveraging metrics to demonstrate return on investment for donors and partners
- Leadership experience in creating and executing development strategy involving multiple departments and teams throughout an organization
- Experience managing organizational communications
- Understanding of and passion for issues relating to underemployment and workforce development in underserved communities and populations and/or understanding of the technology sector
- Business acumen to develop, negotiate, and understand complex contracts, budgets, and partnership packages
- Experience growing and managing Board of Directors that are directly involved in the fundraising process
- Demonstrated skills in management with an eye toward coaching, developing, and empowering staff
- Ability to travel approximately 35% of the time and to participate in evening/weekend obligations, as needed
- You stand behind our mission, believing that individuals from any community should be able to access well-paying career positions, and that talent should be recognized and recruited from many diverse sources
- You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment with people who are passionate about their work and mission
- You are data-driven, results-oriented, and a forward-looking catalyst for social change
- You have an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and flexible workstyle; you’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and independently
- You are able to work and manage remotely and you have the ability to manage up and influence decisions without relying on authority
- You are an effective communicator with strong oral and written skills
- You are tech-savvy and can learn fast
- You are strong at managing your time and you can balance multiple projects and tasks
- You are open to personal learning and growth
Per Scholas has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Melissa Madzel here.
Per Scholas is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Per Scholas:
Per Scholas is a national nonprofit that drives positive and proven social change in communities across the country. Through rigorous and tuition-free technology training and professional development, we prepare motivated and curious adults who are unemployed or underemployed for successful careers as IT professionals, and we create on-ramps to businesses in need of their talents. Today we provide our solutions in six cities across the country: Atlanta, GA; Greater Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, OH; Dallas, TX; the National Capital Region; and New York. To date, Per Scholas has trained 6,000 individuals, helping them build lasting, life changing skills and careers in technology.
For more information, visit perscholas.org, @PerScholas on Twitter, and Per Scholas on Facebook.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.