On November 1, 2005, Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services became one of the largest private providers of children’s mental-health services in Los Angeles County. The agency achieved this position of prominence through the merger of two leading child-welfare organizations: The Sycamores and Hathaway Children & Family Services. Each organization brought with it roots reaching back many decades. In 2014, Hathaway-Sycamores’ annual budget was $51M and an anticipated increase to $55M in 2016. The Agency also employs 700 throughout the Greater Los Angeles area.
Today, Hathaway-Sycamores Child and Family Services stands tall in the child-welfare arena, providing a comprehensive continuum of services to thousands of children and families annually through a network of facilities stretching across the greater Los Angeles area including the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, and the Antelope Valley. Services include:
- A residential-treatment center for youth ages 6 through 18;
- Foster care and adoption services;
- School-based and outpatient-mental-health services;
- Wraparound and in-home counseling services;
- A transitional-living program for teens and young adults;
- A family resource center;
- A grief and loss center for children.
Looked to as a leader in the adult and children’s mental-health-services field, Hathaway-Sycamores is licensed by the California Department of Social Services, certified by the Los Angeles Department of Mental Health, and accredited through The Joint Commission.
The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications (EVP) is responsible for overall strategic leadership and management of Hathaway-Sycamores fundraising, marketing and communication efforts. This individual is part of the Agency’s Executive Leadership Team, and reports directly to the President/CEO of the Agency and participates in executive leadership activities specifically to shape and lead the Agency’s culture towards accountability and innovation.
The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising, marketing communications and public relations that assures revenues are generated in a cost effective manner and positive public image and reputation are always maintained. Fundraising activities include such components as major gifts, corporate donations, annual campaign / individual gifts, grant solicitation, planned giving, special events and in-kind resources.
Planning and Organization
- Collaborates with the Board of Directors and President/CEO to create a long term and annual fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Implements the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitors and evaluates all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitors trends in the community or region and adapts fundraising strategies as necessary Develops and manages timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Develops policies and procedures for the department which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Ensures grant applications are prepared and submitted as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Ensures the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Identifies and develops corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Ensures the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Ensures the coordination of in-kind donations and decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
- Assists Board in developing donor strategies, staffs Board in development activities and staffs the development committee
Fund Development and Marketing
- Researches prospective individual, foundation and corporate donors
- Works directly in the cultivation of major donors and major donor advancement strategies and activities
- Ensures that accurate records of all gifts are maintained with specific and complete information as to their sources
- Ensures that proper recognition is made to all donors Fosters an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Develops a comprehensive communication plan to promote the agency to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Ensures the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Builds relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Ensures all internal and external communications and public relations issues are coordinated as per the media relations protocols
Management & Oversight
- Recruits, interviews, and selects well-qualified fund development staff and identifies strategies for staff retention
- Ensures staff receive regular and appropriate supervision and training, as well as feedback on their performance with written evaluations
- Actively participates in supervision process with President/CEO
- Engages volunteers for special fund development projects using established volunteer management practices
- Develops and gains approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program
- Prepares regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
- Monitors expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary
The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications will be a collaborative, flexible, passionate doer, well-versed in development and marketing communications best practices and committed to the overall mission of Hathaway-Sycamores. In concert with the Chief Executive Officer and other senior leaders, s/he will be responsible for envisioning and executing on a strategic development plan aimed towards expanding Hathaway-Sycamores’ reach, visibility and impact. The Executive Vice President will be an organized and thoughtful strategic leader, responsible for setting priorities, driving all development planning and making well supported decisions that reflect the overall needs of the organization.
The ideal candidate will have at least six years of development and marketing communications experience; proven experience managing a team and achieving results; and a thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base. S/he will have knowledge of fundraising management, including: federal and state legislation affecting charities; implementation of planned giving programs; special events planning and management; and management of volunteer resource.
In addition, ideal candidates will have the following core competencies, personal qualities and qualifications:
Passion for the Mission: The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications will have a passion and commitment for Hathaway-Sycamores’ mission and its work. S/he will understand how their role contributes to the overall mission, and will consistently endeavor to achieve or surpass the Agency’s fundraising goals. Driven by the mission, s/he will influence the culture and impact of the Agency through the modeling and adoption of best practices. This EVP will be an empathic leader, treating others with respect. S/he will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation.
Expertise in Development: The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications will be an experienced leader in the field of development with a measurable track record of success in generating and implementing a fundraising strategy, and growing an organization’s development capacity. This executive will have demonstrated expertise in a wide range of fundraising channels, and have knowledge of development tools and metrics. This Executive Vice President will be a self-motivated team player who will partner with the Chief Executive Officer, Board Members, and other senior leaders across the organization in identifying fundraising opportunities and strategies. S/he will anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed expectations. The Executive Vice President will have experience leading the planning and implementation of donor cultivation and fundraising events, and will have a strong record of personal success in raising money and support from individuals, foundations, corporations. This executive will build, nurture and retain a strong team of professionals that is focused on excellence, accountability, and efficiency.
Entrepreneurial Innovator: The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications will be a natural change agent with a creative approach towards fundraising and communications, driven to meet high, attainable benchmarks. The Executive Vice President will have the ability to implement clear, action-oriented, innovative growth and marketing communication strategies that will elevate Hathaway-Sycamores and broaden their footprint and profile. A motivated and results-oriented leader, s/he will be focused on the outcome of a given strategy, able to adjust expectations, processes and approach if necessary.
Relationship Builder and Collaborator: The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing Communications will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships externally with donors, funding partners and volunteers as well as internally across all levels of the organization. S/he will be a natural collaborator with an ability to work with a diverse group of constituents. With a high degree of initiative, this executive will be a skillful problem solver able to assess and take risks when appropriate.
Persuasive Communicator: The Executive Vice President for Fund Development and Marketing will be a superior communicator, adapting her/his choice of language and the presentation of ideas to fit the audience needs and perspective in a manner that energizes and inspires. The Executive Vice President listens intently and responds effectively to inquiries or challenges on a range of subjects. S/he makes effective and persuasive presentations on topics of importance to a Board, donors, staff, families, constituents, external partners and stakeholders with complete transparency. Additionally, s/he will have excellent written skills with strong knowledge of marketing and communications tools/platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred
- Technical proficiency in fundraising software (Raiser’s Edge)
Hathaway-Sycamores has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Michelle Bonoan and Melanie Damm. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here or email Michelle and Melanie at the following:
|Michelle R.S. Bonoan
Manager, Executive Search
Hathaway-Sycamores is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.