Step Up is a national nonprofit membership organization whose mission it is to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women.
Step Up leverages our professional women members who give back as donors, mentors and
volunteers to make our local communities and the Step Up programs a success.
We believe all girls should have the opportunity to fulfill their potential and do so by inspiring women to inspire girls through programs that engage and connect.
Step Up is currently serving 1,400 girls annually. We are in the midst of executing on an exciting strategic plan focused on scaling our impact dramatically, with the goal of having served 12,000 girls nationally by 2020. Los Angeles play a key role in our growth as we’re serving the highest number of girls here.
The Executive Director, Los Angeles is responsible for implementing our strategic plan at a local level, with oversight for all local fundraising, programs, staff, and operations. Reporting to the Vice President, Operations & Fundraising Strategy on the national team, the Executive Director will also work in partnership with the Los Angeles Chapter Board. The ED currently oversees 7 full-time and 3 part-time staff (estimating growth to 9 full-time and 6 part-time by the end of 2017).
The ideal candidate will have proven success in fundraising and managing a team and will be outgoing, resourceful, solution-oriented and comfortable working within a national organizational structure while also working independently. The ED is also part of Step Up’s executive leadership team and is expected to contribute to the creation and execution of strategic growth plans for the organization.
This is a full-time position located in Los Angeles, CA. For more information on Step Up, please visit www.suwn.org.
Step Up is looking for a successful Executive Director who will achieve the following outcomes:
- Building on a pipeline of local support, raise $1M annually and drive revenue generation with the goal of $1.7M budget by year four
- Motivate an effective Los Angeles Chapter Board and staff
- Create new school partnerships to expand to 4 new schools every other year while upholding standards of excellence for local programming
- Build, mentor and empower a talented and dynamic staff to achieve the highest levels of success in their roles to foster a positive, inspiring work environment
The Executive Director will possess the following attributes and competencies:
Passion for the Mission
The Executive Director will have a demonstrated passion for the mission of Step Up and be committed to the organization’s values. Take Pride in Involvement. Be Inspired by and for Each Other. Take the Long View. Celebrate Success. Innovate. Take Action. Trust Teamwork. Amplify our Message.
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Collaborate with the executive leadership team to set and achieve goals in alignment with the national strategic plan and lead the Los Angeles Chapter Board and staff in implementing strategies to fulfill Step Up’s mission, vision, and strategic plan
- Organize Board meetings, reports, and presentations, including a one-day annual retreat; oversee Board recruitment, retention and performance
- Develop community partnerships that position Step Up as a leader in our field and represent Step Up in the after-school/mentoring/education community in Los Angeles
- Act as a spokesperson for Step Up at internal and external programs and events
- Create and manage the LA office’s annual operating budget
- Communicate and maintain organizational policies for HR and accounting
- Manage the office’s administrative needs (technology, space, supplies, etc.)
Program Development/Team Management
- Supervise a team of 9 full-time and 6 part-time staff in 2017 and a projected team of 16 full-time staff and 3 part-time staff by 2020; uphold values of teamwork, entrepreneurship, and collaborative decision-making across staff
- Collaborate with the Manager, Teen Programs, to:
- Oversee the growth of active relationships with school and community partners
- Ensure that programs are meeting national and local standards of excellence and achieving intended outcomes
- Direct local program evaluation activities
- Supervise the execution of local events (breakfasts, panels, conferences) focused on inspiring women to inspire girls
- Drive local strategies for engaging individual donors, including: growing the number of major individual donors giving $1,000+ through effective qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Overseeing recruitment, retention, and engagement for individual donors/members at other levels
- Create and secure corporate sponsorships at the $25,000+ level
- Lead institutional development efforts, including writing and securing grants at the $25,000+ level and cultivating strong relationships with foundation supporters
- Partner with the Los Angeles Chapter Board on fundraising efforts, including Step Up LA’s signature fundraiser, Inspiration Awards
- Participate in developing national fundraising strategies and materials, and execute on national partnerships at the local level
- Manage local communications efforts, including PR and social media
- Strong organizational leader, with at least 10 years of professional experience, including substantial responsibility for and prior success in managing a team and department or program
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, with exposure to a variety of revenue streams (e.g. individual, institutional, corporate partnerships, events)
- Effective networker, spokesperson, and relationship-builder, able to engage donors and partners from a diverse cross-section of professional industries as well as program participants and community stakeholders
- Skilled staff manager, with experience building and leading teams and guiding team members’ growth and development
- Experience leading or collaborating with a board of directors
- Self-starter and adaptable professional; ability to collaborate effectively with a team as well as work independently, and comfort working within a national organizational structure
- Strong professional judgment, with the ability to make strategic and data-driven decisions within a fast-paced environment
- Ability to foster and lead within an inclusive environment
- Great written and verbal communication skills; comfortable with technology
- Excellent organization and time management skills, as well as strong attention to detail
- Passion for issues pertaining to women and teen girls; prior experience in education, after-school, or youth development organizations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full-time salaried position with medical, dental and vision insurance benefits. Step Up also offers a 401k. Salary commensurate with experience. All full-time employees qualify for paid time off including vacation, sick and all national holidays.
Step Up has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
Step Up is not just an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building local and national teams that represent the communities we serve and to consistently improving our ability to create inclusive and equitable spaces for our teens, our members and our staff.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.