Founded in 2000, Exhale is the nation’s leading organization addressing the emotional health and wellbeing of women and men after abortion. Exhale envisions a social climate that is supportive, respectful, and free of stigma for every unique personal abortion experience. In this cultural context, abortion—and other polarized topics—are viewed not simply as subject of political debate, but as complex human experiences that can be approached with empathy and compassion.
Exhale shifts the narrative around abortion using an approach called pro-voice—a practice of listening and sharing our truths, and a philosophy of caring and compassion. In an age of distraction, polarization, sharing and listening are radical counter-cultural acts of peacemaking, and the foundation for changing the world.
Exhale achieves their mission one story at a time, working to empower those who have experienced abortion and keeping their needs, leadership, and expertise front and center. Exhale partners with the media to shift public dialogue; advises advocates on communications strategies; backs efforts for new emotional health research; and educates health providers in order to increase the quality and availability of post-abortion counseling. The impact of Exhale’s work is felt by each person who feels loved and supported after an abortion, and who hears messages of support and respect from the media, political advocates, academic researchers, and health providers.
A community-driven organization, Exhale influences the broader culture through its programs, community engagement, and via social and traditional media.
For more information on Exhale, please visit exhaleprovoice.org.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the next Executive Director will be a visionary leader who sets the strategic direction and has ultimate responsibility for the fiscal and operational health of the organization.
Exhale’s Founding Executive Director, Aspen Baker, is transitioning out of her role as leader of the organization. She will continue to contribute to the organization during the new Executive Director’s first six months and ensure a successful transfer of knowledge to her successor. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced and growth-minded leader who has a vision for carrying the organization’s important work forward. This is a full-time position located in Oakland, CA.
The Executive Director’s primary responsibilities will include:
Strategic and Visionary Leadership
- Ensure that Exhale has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress
- Collaborate with the Board and staff to refine and implement the strategic direction while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with Exhale’s core mission
- Provide inspirational leadership and maintain a strengths-based organizational culture which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people; supervise staff in overseeing all administrative, operational, engagement, and programmatic functions of organization
Resource Development and Fiscal Management
- Hold ultimate responsibility for the fiscal management process of the organization, ensuring that the organization operates within budget guidelines
- In partnership with staff, lead foundation fundraising, cultivating, and stewarding relationships with key program officers and engage in all organizational fundraising strategies
- Collaborate with the Board and staff to develop, cultivate, and steward strong relationships with all potential individual, major donor, and foundation funding sources
External Liaison and Thought Leadership
- Represent Exhale as an articulate, inspiring, and knowledgeable public spokesperson and ambassador; maintain a positive professional reputation in the community
- Speak and write about the pro-voice model and the Exhale mission; push the envelope in how people think about abortion and other conflicted issues
- Recruit experts, funders, and colleagues to the Exhale mission; develop and foster strategic relationships with high-level partners, including the media and other cultural, political, and entertainment influencers
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong and diverse Board that is highly engaged and leverages and secures resources
- Provide the necessary information and guidance to the Board in order to assist it in making governance decisions
- Work with Board to assure Exhale has sound risk management policies, accounting systems, human resources policies, and procedures
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal skills, qualities, competencies, and characteristics:
- An experienced, strategic, and visionary leader who can establish new partnerships, maintain current relationships, and seek opportunities to promote Exhale
- An excellent communicator, both in writing and speaking
- A cultural advocate who is capable of driving cultural change relating to and beyond abortion through pro-voice leadership and advocacy
- A competent fundraiser; a storyteller and strategic networker
- Bold and committed leader, with a focus on innovation and entrepreneurship; a commitment to staying flexible and innovative in operations and strategy
- Passion for the mission and an abundance-based mindset
- Comfortable with constructive conflict
- Emotional sensitivity: connected to how different types of individuals are impacted by crises, difficult situations
- Experience managing Board dynamics and developing inspirational relationships with stakeholders
- Adept at understanding and navigating changing cultural conversations about abortion and beyond
- Uses data and evaluation to inform decision making
- Commitment to the judgment-free, supportive mission of Exhale which respects individuals’ experiences with abortion and to the pro-voice movement
- 8-10 years of management experience; a leader who trusts in her/his staff
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant advanced degree preferred
Compensation & benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Exhale has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Melissa Madzel here.
Exhale is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.