City on a Hill Charter Public Schools (CoaH), a high-performing network of high schools, seeks an Executive Director to oversee all aspects of the three schools in operation (~1000 students), as well as successfully implement the Board of Trustees’ strategic plan of growing the network to serve over 3,500 high schools students across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Established in 1995, CoaH was among the first charter schools to open in the Commonwealth. CoaH has been designated a “proven provider” in Massachusetts and has been granted two new schools. During the 2013–14 school year, in response to growing waitlists that indicated strong demand for additional educational opportunities, CoaH opened its second campus in Boston, taking a big step forward on an expansion plan. In the 2014–2015 school year, CoaH opened its third campus in New Bedford, bringing its proven model for success to one of Massachusetts’ high-need Gateway Cities. CoaH is now a growing network of college preparatory high schools with an annual budget of over $10M.
The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring that each school achieves the mission of CoaH and its academic and organizational goals. The Executive Director is also the organization’s representative to the larger political and fundraising community and is responsible for ensuring that the network is a fiscally viable and sustainable organization. As the individual primarily responsible for all essential financial and legal functions in the network, the Executive Director collaborates with key staff and advisors to develop community relationships and ensures organizational health and good standing with all stakeholders. The Executive Director holds authority over and responsibility for all outcomes of the schools and leads the recruitment, selection, and oversight of all key leaders within the network.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Trustees. He/She supervises the Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Operations Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, the Chief Development Officer, and the Chief of Staff. The Executive Director’s responsibilities include the following areas:
Strategic Planning, Execution, and Board Relations
- Serve as a strategic leader and visionary, ensuring successful implementation of CoaH’s 2015-2020 strategic plan
- Collaborate closely with the Board of Trustees to realize CoaH’s vision and mission
- Seek and accept board input on programming and strategic initiatives at the school, including being open to robust discussion and constructive feedback
Development, Community Relations, and Communications
- Provide leadership for all fundraising efforts to achieve the needed increases in funding laid out in the 2015-2020 strategic plan
- Establish community partnerships, public relationships, and communications that advance the mission
- Communicate CoaH’s mission, vision, and goals as well as success stories and achievement to a range of internal and external stakeholders; Act as the champion of CoaH’s high expectations and public accountability of student results
- Ensure good relations with CoaH’s various community stakeholders (e.g. external partners, donors, community members)
Operational Leadership and Management
- Attain the academic, organizational, and financial goals articulated in each school’s Accountability Plan
- Implement effective talent management strategies; manage, evaluate, and recruit staff to be a high-performing, collaborative team
- Ensure network finances are healthy and adhere to audit expectations
- Complete accurate and compliant Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) reporting
- Maintain legal compliance for all federally and state-funded programming
- Ensure operations and facilities are safe and support the academic program
The Executive Director also performs functions on behalf of and at the direction of the City on a Hill Foundation, Inc. Such functions include oversight of fundraising efforts, real estate, facilities, finances, and such other matters as determined from time to time by the Board of the Foundation in consultation with the Board of Trustees. The Executive Director will be a voting member of the Foundation Board, as well as an ex-officio non-voting member of the school Board of Trustees.
Strong Executive Director candidates will bring demonstrated success in building and scaling operations in high-growth entrepreneurial environments as well as:
- A demonstrated ability to inspire and lead a diverse community of educators, learners, and other stakeholders
- Excellent analytical and strategic leadership skills as well as strong financial and business acumen
- A track record of leading, motivating, and developing high-performing teams that deliver results
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills and highly effective interpersonal skills to allow successful interaction with the Board of Trustees, staff, donors, potential donors, and community organizations
- Superior project management and execution skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple and simultaneous high-priority work streams
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with teams of stakeholders and collaborate effectively with others
- Impassioned alignment with the organization’s mission and core values
- Unwavering commitment to the belief that demography is not destiny and that all students deserve the opportunity to graduate from college
- Deep understanding of and experience with the opportunities and challenges of urban education and the charter school landscape
- Evidence of well-developed emotional intelligence and ability to read others
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Public Policy, or similar field; Master’s degree and knowledge of the greater charter school movement, including best practices and models preferred
- Drivers’ license and car to move among existing and prospective school facilities
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/922.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill Charter
Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
About City On A Hill Charter Public Schools:
City on a Hill graduates responsible, resourceful, and respectful democratic citizens prepared for college and to advance community, culture, and commerce, and to compete in the 21s century. We do so by emphasizing academic achievement, citizenship, teacher leadership, and public accountability.
City on a Hill believes first, and most centrally, that all students must learn at high levels in order to address the social, economic, and political inequities of our nation. We provide an accelerated academic program to our students and work tirelessly to prepare them for success in college and beyond. We are passionate about teaching our students to be active in their communities and instilling civic values in them. And we do this with a fierce commitment to public accountability for student results.
City on a Hill serves students who are traditionally underserved by the public school system. The majority of our students come to us performing significantly below grade level in reading and mathematics. Our program provides students with academic and social-emotional supports so that they can accelerate their academic growth. As a result, 100% of our graduates earn college acceptance.
For more information please visit: http://www.cityonahill.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.