About Natural High:
Natural High inspires youth to discover, amplify, and pursue their natural high so they have a reason to say no to drugs and alcohol. After founder Jon Sundt lost his two younger brothers to drugs, he was determined to save other families from the same heartbreak. He realized that by changing how we speak to youth we could dispel the myth around drugs and alcohol.
Natural High partners with drug-free celebrity role models who share their stories about growing up and the choices they made to achieve their dreams. These videos are paired with standards-based curriculum provided free of charge to educators around the country, creating a powerful message and effective set of tools to teach the benefits of natural highs and the consequences of drugs and inspire youth to lead a drug-free lifestyle.
Today, Natural High’s programs reach more than 20,000 classrooms across the country, inspiring 8 million youth in all 50 states to say yes to life, and no to drugs and alcohol.
For more information on Natural High, please visit www.naturalhigh.org.
Natural High is seeking a highly skilled Executive Director who will be responsible for leading the organization’s fundraising, external communications, staff management, and strategic direction as the organization seeks to increase its visibility and impact among young people and their mentors throughout the country. The Executive Director will be responsible for providing vision, direction, and leadership in achieving Natural High’s mission, vision, and objectives.
The Executive Director will serve a key face of the organization to external stakeholders including major donors, celebrities, key educators and partners, and the youth leadership team in order to achieve the organization’s fundraising and programmatic goals. The Executive Director will manage a small staff including an Assistant Executive Director, and will report to a small Board of Directors that includes founder, Jon Sundt.
This is a full-time position located in San Diego, CA.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following key areas:
Fundraising & External Communications
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to expand fundraising infrastructure and lead revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion;
- Steward relationships with key influencers, including celebrity talent, who will raise the profile of Natural High’s programs;
- Maintain knowledge on drug prevention and related issues and causes, and build connections within the drug prevention and advocacy network;
- Represent Natural High at various events and meetings to increase visibility;
- Cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors and board members, and actively engage and energize Natural High’s external stakeholders to garner new opportunities for generating revenue.
Organizational Leadership and Management
- Assure the organization, its mission, programs, products, finances, and services are consistently of the highest caliber and presents a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders;
- Develop, maintain and support a strong Board of Directors by keeping the Board informed on issues affecting Natural High’s programs or progress and as a liaison between Board and staff;
- Coach, develop, and retain Natural High’s leadership team to achieve high levels of success;
- Communicate organization performance to the BOD and funders as appropriate.
Strategic Planning and Operational Oversight
- Assume oversight of Natural High’s long-term strategic planning process in collaboration with the Board of Directors;
- Identify, recommend, and implement new business models for program expansion into new markets;
- Manage and utilize talent of direct reports, and ensure appropriate and effective management of indirect reports by the management team;
- Collaborate with Assistant Executive Director to develop and recommend organizational budget for Board approval;
- Establish effective processes that enable Natural High and its employees on all levels to achieve short-term and long-term goals and objectives.
Strong candidates will bring an entrepreneurial approach to fundraising and external relations as well as a proven track record of helping organizations expand their reach.
Other desired qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- A minimum of 4 years serving in a Director-level capacity, ideally in a non-profit organization;
- A passion for the mission of Natural High with demonstrated experiences related to drug prevention, healthy living, and/or youth initiatives;
- Experience with fundraising, marketing communications, and strategic partnerships;
- Experience working within innovative, highly dynamic organizations that quickly adapt to changing environmental needs;
- An understanding and appreciation of the power of expertly produced and curated digital stories;
- Well-developed management and leadership skills;
- Strong written and verbal communication;
- Polished presentation skills;
- Exceptional relationship-building ability;
- Familiarity with the education and/or Ed Tech sectors is a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience required; Master’s preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Natural High has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan here.
Natural High is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.