Concord, NH | December 3, 2019
About New Hampshire Charitable Foundation
Founded in 1962, The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is New Hampshire’s statewide community foundation by and for the people of New Hampshire. We manage a growing collection of nearly 2,000 philanthropic funds created by generous individuals, families and businesses. These donors make it possible for the Foundation to award more than $40 million in grants and scholarships every year.
We work with generous and visionary citizens to maximize the power of their giving, support great work happening in our communities and lead and collaborate on high-impact initiatives.
Committed. Collaborative. Accountable. Adaptive. These four words describe the core values of the Foundation’s work with generous donors, community leaders and nonprofit partners. And they also describe our workplace culture.
For more information on New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, please visit https://www.nhcf.org.
Learn more about our work by visiting our blog, What we’re up to, and by reading our Purpose newsletters and annual reports.
The Director of Tillotson Funds Opportunity
The Director of Tillotson Funds oversees one of the largest and most innovative rural philanthropies in the United States. With more than $100 million in assets, the Tillotson Funds are primarily focused on New Hampshire’s North Country and adjacent communities in Vermont, Maine, and Quebec. By far the largest of these funds is the Neil and Louise Tillotson Fund. The Tillotson Funds are all component funds of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, a community foundation and the largest grantmaking foundation in northern New England.
The successful candidate will have experience living in and working on behalf of rural communities, superb interpersonal qualities, strong people and project management skills, and a proven ability to build and sustain trust among diverse stakeholders and groups. The Director will initially report to the President & CEO, but future supervision could also include the Vice President for Community Impact.
This is a full-time position which will be based out of a home office in Northern New Hampshire with regular meetings in the Foundation’s main office in Concord, and will require additional travel around the state as necessary.
The Director of Tillotson Funds will be responsible for:
Overall Leadership and Program Strategy
- Work with fund advisors, staff and consultants to design strategic priorities and special programs of the Foundation’s family of Tillotson Funds; implement programmatic priorities and activities of the Tillotson Funds including but not limited to grant programs, leadership opportunities, targeted investments, evaluation, special programs, etc.
- Oversee the work of a highly engaged and diverse advisory committee with final decision-making authority for grants
- Develop and monitor annual operating budget and grant program budgets to achieve the strategic priorities of the Tillotson Funds
- Ensure all activities are consistent with the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation’s vision, mission, values, and policies
- Manage the selection and appraisal of the staff and contractors/consultants focused on Tillotson work, and any other roles assigned; deploy staff and consultants to ensure the highest performance standards for all operations
External Relations and Foundation Liaison
- Serve as the lead spokesperson and representative for the Tillotson Funds, maintaining the highest standard of trust and confidence in the work of the Foundation
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders in the region, including community and nonprofit leaders, state agencies, members of the press, and elected officials
- Cultivate effective partnerships with major public and private funders, both state and national, to ensure coordinated efforts and leverage of the Tillotson Funds’ grantmaking
- Identify opportunities for shared work, learning and knowledge transfer between the Tillotson team and other staff and volunteers of the Foundation
- Participate in key regional meetings, selected statewide events and national conferences
Additionally, the Director of the Tillotson Funds will:
- Participate in the Foundation’s organizational life, including department management, improvement teams, and events as required
- Positively demonstrate the values and contribute to the culture of the Foundation
- Demonstrate a commitment to community and the well-being of New Hampshire
- Interact professionally with other employees and external stakeholders
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments
- Follow all company policies and procedures, as well as all local, state and federal laws concerning employment
- Contribute to a safe and productive environment
The ideal candidate will have many but not necessarily all of the following professional and personal skills, competencies and characteristics:
- Belief in the mission and vision of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation; experience in place-based philanthropy and/or rural community development is preferred
- Successful track record in team leadership and inspiring a mission-driven team to achieve results; collegial and team-building approach
- High level of emotional intelligence; demonstrated ability to interact well with, respect, and develop and manage relationships that achieve a high level of trust with a diverse range of people, experiences, and constituencies
- Broad understanding of equity and social justice issues and philanthropy’s role in advancing equity
- Ability to be self-directed, as well as succeed and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills; ability to represent the Foundation in a professional, engaging and dynamic manner
- A high level of intellectual curiosity and desire to explore new ideas
- Strong ability to maintain tact and confidentiality at all times along with impeccable integrity
- Able to thrive in a complex environment with competing priorities
- Demonstrated commitment to the North Country region of New Hampshire and/or surrounding communities in the US and Canada including knowledge of key regional stakeholders and opportunities
- Valid driver’s license
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and the Foundation offers a generous benefits package.
The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help with this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Cassie Scarano and Alicia Salerno here.
The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all applicants without regard to factors such as race, color, sex, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.