New York, NY | November 8, 2019
About 32BJ SEIU
At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Founded in 1934, 32BJ SEIU is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. They have a powerful and important mission:
To build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
32BJ SEIU is dedicated to making life better for working families and building a fair economy. A progressive and goal-oriented labor union, their work includes campaigns to guarantee living wages, like the ‘Fight for $15’, promoting responsible development, and expanding access to health care. 32BJ SEIU is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ SEIU is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda. The union has approximately 475 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, D.C.
32BJ SEIU is about to launch a four year strategic planning process with great focus on the opportunities that lie ahead. Union leadership and staff are enthusiastic about building on the successes of the past and planning for greater capacity in the future. Staff development is a crucial component as the union moves forward.
32BJ SEIU’s headquarters are in New York City, where this position is based.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.
32BJ SEIU seeks a strategic and visionary leader to effectively build internal capacity around training and staff development, with an eye on succession planning. The Director of Staff Training and Development will be responsible for identifying learning and development priorities, building strategies to meet those priorities and measuring progress along the way.
Reporting to the Vice President for Staff and Member Development, this is a new position that will lead the Union’s efforts to retain and develop a high-performing, diverse staff. This is an exceptional opportunity for a candidate who is excited about contributing to a learning culture, building alignment across organizational stakeholders, setting strategic goals and delivering resources and programs that meet organizational needs and advance 32BJ SEIU’s mission.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess, understand, prioritize and address key training and development needs, and help build a holistic and effective organizational strategy for staff development and training.
- Collaborate with Officers and the Executive Office on succession planning and leadership development, including the development of a mentorship and coaching program.
- Design and deliver targeted training plans that are linked to organizational goals and objectives and enable staff to develop in their roles and advance in the union.
- Implement a system for tracking and documenting training needs, holding staff accountable and ensuring compliance, as well as creating and tracking individual development plans.
- Partner with senior management to reimagine the performance evaluation system and procedures; establish data-driven, measurable, key metrics and qualitative measures to inform staff development.
- Work with Officers and senior management to help strategically and successfully move the organization and its staff through growth and change.
- Work in partnership with colleagues to strengthen a culture of learning, coaching, and inclusion; collaborate with other departments to coordinate staff development agendas and trainings.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, collaborative, and action-oriented leader with a compelling presence and exceptional communication and relationship-building skills. The successful candidate will have a strong background in adult education and training focused especially on leadership development, professional development, and social justice.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and the ability to work effectively across and in support of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Proven track record of success in union or non-profit management and/or complex political and organizational situations
- Experienced facilitator proficient in developing and delivering organization-wide development programs to a large staff and/or at an organization that has gone through rapid growth and change
- Strong public presence with compelling written and oral presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to serve as a strategic advisor and sounding board to staff at all levels of the organization
- Comfortable with ambiguity and working through solutions with creativity and innovation
- Working knowledge and experience managing an annual budget
- Excellent project management and strategic planning skills including the ability to develop, sequence and map long-term plans while delivering on short-term goals
- Motivated self-starter who can work independently, as well as be an enthusiastic team player
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite with ability to quickly learn internal systems, applications, and workflows
- Ability to travel to regional offices when necessary (anticipated to be about 30-40% of time, especially in the first year)
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical and dental plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a pension and 401K.
32BJ SEIU has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Shavon Bell. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
32BJ is an inclusive, diverse and anti-racist organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.