Center for Responsive Schools, Inc. (CRS) was founded in 1981 by a group of public school educators who had a vision of bringing together social and academic learning throughout the school day. We remain dedicated to helping those who want to learn about elementary teaching that emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe school community. CRS is a not-for-profit 501c3 organization and is the sole source provider of the Responsive Classroom® approach.
Today, CRS employs about 50 people full-time, plus over 100 certified workshop presenters. CRS offers workshops for teachers and consulting services for schools and districts, and publishes award-winning books, DVDs, and resources for school-based study groups.
CRS seeks a Director of Publications to provide strategic and tactical leadership for the publications department, including overseeing the development and production of all retail publications and working in close collaboration with colleagues across the organization to ensure the development and production of innovative, timely, and effective new materials that support the CRS mission.
This is a full-time position located in Turner Falls, MA. For more information on CRS, please visit https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/. Relocation is required, and relocation assistance is available.
The Director of Publications of CRS will report to the Executive Director and manage a team of six. S/he should possess the following attributes and competencies:
Strategic Leadership and Management
The Director of Publications will serve not just as leader of the Publications Team, ensuring the production of a wide range of high quality publications, but also as a key member of CRS’s leadership team, setting and executing on organizational vision and strategic direction.
The Director of Publications will be a creative thinker who understands the competitive landscape and can propose new ideas and initiatives that enhance CRS’s mission. S/he will be a thoughtful risk-taker, always looking for new opportunities with a focus on outcomes and impact.
Passion for the Mission
The Director of Publications will have a genuine passion for the CRS mission, ensuring that all publications reflect and advance that mission. S/he will believe strongly in education programs to positively support greater teacher effectiveness, higher student achievement, and improved school climate. S/he will have a deep respect for the history of CRS while staying focused on the opportunities that present themselves to the organization.
The Director of Publications is responsible for providing strategic and tactical leadership for CRS’s publications department. The Director oversees the development and production of retail publications and works closely with the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Director of Elementary and Middle School Program, the Director of Consulting and Certification, the Director of Operations, and the Executive Director to develop and produce materials for all of these areas.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Defines, administers, and directs the work of CRS editorial, design, and production staff
- Ensures that the retail product pipeline is filled at all times
- Responsible for quality control for all CRS publications
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the CRS style sheet
- Stays informed of current educational trends, topics of high interest to Responsive Classroom teachers and school leaders, and customer response to retail products
- Stays informed of new publication mediums and ensures CRS uses those that are suitable to our audience
- Searches for and identifies potential new contributors to CRS publications
- Evaluates proposals for new titles and negotiates agreements with contributors
- Oversees videography and photography, including the selection and oversight of freelancers and ensuring the quality and ongoing development of the video and photo libraries
- Collaborates with other directors to plan for the best use of staff time on interdepartmental projects and joint supervision
- Works closely with Director of Elementary and Middle School Programs to produce materials needed for workshops, courses, and other standardized Responsive Classroom services
- Works closely with Director of Communications and Marketing to produce print marketing and communication materials
- Represents CRS at conferences as requested by the Director of Communications and Marketing
- Works with Director of Operations to set yearly budget predictions and manage to this budget
- Serves on CRS’s directors team, playing a key role in setting and executing on organizational strategy
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a high performing team
- Exceptional project management expertise, particularly the ability to oversee multiple, complex projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment
- The ability to operate on both a tactical and a strategic level, overseeing a highly effective publications team while also collaborating with colleagues to develop new, innovative publications
- Strong editing and writing skills, including book development, line editing, copyediting, project management, and production
- Deep publications expertise, including budgeting, printing, editorial and production management, and related technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of publishing landscape, including use of the Internet, pricing, and dissemination issues
- Management experience with vendors and contractors for writing, illustration, photography, and other related supplies and services
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with high expectations and competing priorities
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of CRS
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience required; Master’s preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package is provided.
Center for Responsive Schools, Inc. has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan and Liz Lombard here.
Center for Responsive Schools is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Center for Responsive Schools:
The Center for Responsive Schools, Inc. is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to the improvement of elementary and middle school teaching and learning. Their approach to teaching, called the Responsive Classroom® approach, emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe school environment. The Responsive Classroom® approach promotes optimal learning by helping children to develop high-level academic and social-emotional competencies and knowledge.
For more information on Center for Responsive Schools, please visit https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.