The Jesuit Volunteer Corps (JVC) seeks an inspiring, energetic and innovative leader to join the Leadership Team as the Director of Programs. The Jesuit Volunteer Corps is the largest lay Catholic full-time volunteer program in the world, a pioneer in the service landscape since 1956. Over 10,000 women and men have served tens of thousands of individuals and families within hundreds of communities worldwide since its inception. Jesuit Volunteers work tirelessly for social justice, living in community with one another and those on the margins, while exploring their spirituality and faith through the framework of Catholic, Ignatian values. Aspiring to create a more just and hopeful world, the Jesuit Volunteer Corps engages passionate young people in vital service within poor communities, fostering the growth of leaders committed to faith in action.
The Director of Programs works on the Leadership Team to provide strategic and operational oversight for the formation and service program. Leading a national staff, which includes operations in four different offices, this position is responsible for ensuring the quality and sustainability of JVC’s domestic and international programs operating in 37 cities in the United States and six countries internationally. By working with a cross- functional and collaborative Leadership Team, the Director of Programs will integrate work and relationships throughout the organization.
This is a full-time position reporting to the President and is located in Baltimore, MD. For more information about the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, please visit http://www.jesuitvolunteers.org/.
The Director of Programs will have the following responsibilities:
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- In connection with a dynamic Leadership Team, develop the resources, platforms, and systems necessary to improve the JV experience in the field
- Infuse programming, daily work, and operational decision making with the charism of Ignatian Spirituality to integrate JVC’s mission across all work – both internally and externally
- Cultivate organizational and interpersonal relationships to foster the growth and sustainment of JVC’s mission
Program Development and Team Management
- Hire and supervise Program Managers in their work with local Jesuit Volunteers, placement site and support networks
- Develop contacts and resources to keep abreast of domestic, international and environmental issues that affect the safety and well-being of volunteers serving in the U.S. and abroad
- Initiate strategic planning for the needs and opportunities of the program including: collaboration with agency partner sites, relationship to supporting institutions, and location planning (growth or contraction/specialization and generalization)
- Create, manage, and report on program budget
- Lead and oversee implementation of screening and placement process across domestic and international program
- Supervise a cross-functional team of staff in four regional offices
- Develop and provide training and oversight for JVC policies and procedures as related to the JV and agency experience in the field
- Manage crisis incidents in the field when necessary
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Familiarity with JVC and commitment to overall mission
- Experience in program development and evaluation
- Experience in hiring, supervision, assessment, and training of staff and demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated intercultural competency and experience working across cultures
- Demonstrated experience in developing train-the-trainer materials
- Experience working with young adults
- Experience with group facilitation, conflict management, and project management
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with various constituencies
- Ability to multi-task and work both individually and as part of a team
- Flexible, ability to adjust to changing circumstances
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Familiarity with Roman Catholic Theology, particularly in the areas of service and justice
- Personal experience of and comfort with Ignatian Spirituality
- At least 5-8 years’ work experience, preferably at non-profit organization or college setting
- Former Jesuit Volunteer or alumnus of a faith-based volunteer program a plus
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
The Jesuit Volunteer Corps has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To apply, please submit a compelling letter of interest and resume to Erin Reedy here.
The Jesuit Volunteer Corps encourages applications from candidates of all ages, races, classes, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, languages, and physical abilities.
Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.