Freedom of the Press Foundation (FPF) aims to protect and defend journalism in the 21st century through internet advocacy, digital security and crowdfunding. FPF develops and maintains the SecureDrop project, the open source whistleblower submission system in over 60 major news organizations worldwide; runs the US Press Freedom Tracker, a collaboration with over two dozen other press freedom groups which documents and counts every press freedom violation in the US; provides general digital security training to advocates for strong press freedom rights; and builds other tech projects that help journalists and whistleblowers communicate securely.
Freedom of the Press Foundation is seeking a Director of Philanthropy to enhance the work of the Foundation. This role is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious leader and creative thinker who wants to set strategy and build a team, spearhead fundraising efforts, and champion the work externally. The Director reports to the Executive Director, and will work closely with the senior leadership team, and the Board.
This is a full-time position located in San Francisco, CA or New York, NY. For more information on Freedom of the Press Foundation, please visit https://freedom.press.
As FPF’s first Director of Philanthropy, you will work directly with FPF’s Executive Director to manage the development portfolio of the FPF’s top organizational prospects and major donors.
- Actively soliciting and closing gifts of $50K or more from FPF donors and prospects through a strategic nationwide program of face-to-face cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, including renewals, upgrades and continuous strategic identification of new leadership donors
- Creating and managing a central database of all information relating to major donors and prospects within the portfolio, in a manner that emphasizes the highest standards of data integrity
- Developing and implementing short and long-term strategic plans for significant income growth from donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $50K or more
- Collaborating extensively with FPF’s Executive Director to create and implement donor strategies to meet funding goals
- Providing executive-level support to FPF’s Executive Director, including appropriate, concise briefing materials in advance of meetings with donors and prospects
- Maintaining working knowledge of FPF’s priorities, strategy and issues
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Bachelor’s degree required; a minimum of five years’ experience in development with at least two years of solicitation experience
- Proven track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, soliciting, and closing gifts of $50K or more from prospects and donors
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills with proven ability to craft persuasive proposals and donor correspondence
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information
- Experience working with fundraising databases
- Strong organizational skills and discipline in stewarding donor information and database records
- Ability to follow tasks through to completion
- Ability to coach others, including providing and receiving feedback on donor strategies and portfolio development
- Strong interpersonal skills and poise; ability to demonstrate diplomacy and grace while working in high-pressure situations
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive in a complex organization. Experience in a national organization with an affiliate or chapter structure is desirable
- Willingness and desire to travel frequently to meet with donors in person
Freedom of the Press Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
Freedom of the Press Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.