About Mozilla Foundation:
Founded in 2003, the Mozilla Foundation is a California not-for-profit corporation dedicated to building and protecting the Internet as a public resource that is open and accessible to all. Mozilla Foundation is also the parent to the company that makes the Firefox web browser. The Foundation has 85 full-time staff who work closely with almost 1,000 staff in the Mozilla Corporation and tens of thousands of Mozilla volunteers around the world.
We believe that a healthy Internet and a healthy society are deeply entwined. A healthy Internet is private and secure; understandable; open; distributed; and inclusive. Sadly, the Internet is changing, and we are losing the freedom and opportunity we’d hoped for. The Foundation is growing the Mozilla Network to fuel and amplify the impact of a movement of people worldwide who are already working to support Internet health. We believe that as we shape the agenda, invest in leaders, and mobilize citizens, this movement will grow. The Foundation accomplishes this by: hosting convenings with thought leaders in the field; leading proactive and responsive advocacy campaigns; issuing the annual Internet Health Report; providing critical funding to support the work of partners in the field; and much more.
The Director of Operations Opportunity:
The Mozilla Foundation seeks an experienced, strategic, and entrepreneurial Director of Operations to oversee operations, finance, and administration. Ideal candidates will be strong, systems-oriented generalists with significant experience managing and building nonprofit operations functions. The Director of Operations will report directly to and serve as a thought partner to the Executive Vice President (EVP), helping to develop and implement the strategy for the Foundation’s operational support structures and team. This exciting key role is an opportunity to join an innovative, collaborative, and growing movement organization.
This is a full-time position, with preferred location for San Francisco, Portland, New York, or Toronto. Other locations will be considered for exceptional candidates.
The Director of Operations’ specific responsibilities will include:
- Partner with and advise the EVP and other key leadership team members on the development of the Foundation’s strategic goals and the accompanying business plans, including the design of the operational support function and team
- Set metrics and key performance indicators to ensure objectives are being achieved; monitor and ensure accountability, promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to excellence
- Troubleshoot and roll up your sleeves to solve operational challenges and issues as they arise
- Oversee, direct, connect, and organize the work of the operations teams (including finance and administration, legal, tax); mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; oversee the work of related external consultants
- Oversee the financial planning, budgeting, and cash flow of the Foundation
- Cultivate an organizational culture of shared financial management and increased business acumen, develop tools for forecasting and scenario planning; partner with leaders in the organization to bring a financial and operational perspective to strategic decisions
- Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, operational standards, and procedures that reflect the current and future needs of the Foundation
- Implement operational best practices to help the Foundation grow into a high impact movement organization
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, skills, and characteristics:
- Experience managing operations and finance in fast-paced, mission-driven nonprofit environments for 10+ years; exposure to human resources and legal compliance ideal but not required
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make and recommend good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment
- High level of business acumen and thorough understanding of operations, finance, and internal, cross-org support systems; experience creating policies and processes that enhance and facilitate the delivery of high impact programs
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Exceptional real time problem-solver; rolls with the punches and solves problems quickly as they arise
- Strong capacity for managing and leading people in a team-based environment; experience building teams and scaling up organizations
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to translate operational and financial information and implications for a variety of audiences
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth, entrepreneurial, and largely distributed environment
- Highly collaborative, inclusive, and skilled at effectively working across different teams; ability to lead through influence and build support at all levels of an organization
- Commitment to equity, access, and inclusion
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Mozilla Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Alena Guerra and Meghan Franklin here.
Mozilla Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.