Location Flexible, US | August 6, 2021
IGNITE is a movement of young women who are ready and eager to become the next generation of political leaders. We offer civic education, exposure to elected women, hands on training and work opportunities, and a peer network of women who support each other’s aspirations. We are a national, non-partisan 501c3.
IGNITE has a national office that is responsible for:
- Developing and codifying IGNITE programs, packaging them and making them digitally available.
- Developing a national communications calendar (including social media) and managing all communications.
- Developing national partnerships.
- Working in partnership with staff to prepare individual, foundation and corporate proposals.
- Working in partnership with staff to raise individual contributions from supporters across the US.
- Securing corporate sponsorships to support national-scale work.
- Developing annual budgets and managing all agency resources.
IGNITE staff are located across the country and work cross-functionally on regional and content-area teams. While this position reports to the Chief of Resource Development and Communications, they will need to maintain positive, collaborative relationships with staff in other parts of the country and be comfortable collaborating virtually.
About the Opportunity:
IGNITE is expanding into new markets rapidly and is looking for a seasoned development professional to help build its fundraising program, with an emphasis on major gifts. This position will be primarily focused on developing support in the west coast region, with a focus on Southern California, the Bay Area, and Seattle, WA.
Reporting to the Chief of Resource Development and Communications, Director of Major Giving, West will be responsible for securing funds for the organization by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting a growing portfolio of major donors and institutional funders who are passionate about IGNITE’s mission.
Responsibilities of the Director of Major Giving, West include the following:
- Research and identification of prospective individual and institutional (foundation and corporate) donors who have the capacity to make 4-6+ figure gifts.
- Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects and, over time, grow that portfolio to 200 individuals and institutions.
- Create donor engagement strategies that enable IGNITE to build authentic relationships and meet financial targets.
- Work with the program and the communications departments to create proposals that include up-to-date project information that will effectively steward and grow donor relationships.
- Set target dollar goals for each person and institution in the portfolio based on the donor’s giving history and net worth and report on portfolio activity and performance on a monthly basis to management.
- Design and execute donor cultivation, stewardship, and fundraising events.
- Leverage IGNITE’s database to track donor activities and participate in development team efforts to improve systems to effectively track donors and the donor pipeline.
IGNITE’s annual budget is $4 million. The base of this funding is currently in the Bay Area, Texas, and the Northern seaboard. The Director of Major Giving, West will lead the efforts to raise the dollars and relationships necessary to expand IGNITE’s programs along the West Coast, part of a broader effort to enhance IGNITE’s footprint and visibility nationwide as we bring our programs to scale over the next few years. This is a rare opportunity to make a significant impact on an organization during rapid growth; candidates will bring experience, energy, and a deep commitment to gender parity in politics.
This is a full-time position based in the west coast region, with some travel required.
The Director of Major Giving, West will possess the following attributes and competencies:
- Experience in the research, identification and qualification of donors as potential major supporters;
- Experience in the creation of solicitation strategies and reasonable ask targets for prospective donors in a timely and cost-effective manner;
- Ability to identify pertinent project and organization information in order to create and write effective proposals and asks;
- Commitment to donor-centered stewardship activities to grow IGNITE’s community;
- Knowledge of donor management tracking systems;
- Ability to manage portfolio performance and accurately reflect status to management;
- Capacity to work independently in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines;
- Ability to get along with peers, subordinates and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems; and
- Deep commitment to protect the mission, goals and values of IGNITE.
- Passion for addressing racial, gender, and economic injustices and systems change and a commitment and dedication to dismantling unjust systems.
- Proven track record building and growing a fundraising program to secure 4- to 6-figure gifts from a range of revenue sources;
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of IGNITE;
- An affinity for working with a culturally and politically diverse community and experience building mutually beneficial relationships with diverse constituents;
- 5-7 years development experience;
- Excellent communication, administration, coordination and analytical skills;
- Strong understanding of donor cultivation and stewardship strategies;
- Superior organizational skills to implement and maintain systems that improve the efficiency of the organization;
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Computer proficiency with MS Office, Slack, and Google suites, above average knowledge and proficiency with social media applications (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) a plus;
- Experience using a customer relationship management software or database such as Salesforce, HubSpot, EveryAction, or equivalent;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred, degree in public policy, political science, nonprofit management, education or related field a plus;
- Ability to be discreet and judicious with private information;
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism;
- Commitment to building and fostering a diverse, inclusive, and collegial workplace; multicultural competence and ability to work across lines of difference
- Experience working on remote teams, ideally in a geographically dispersed context with a high standard of excellence and accountability.
To apply please submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references
Salary Range: $85,000-100,000 base with health, vision and dental benefits and generous time off package.
IGNITE is committed to making reasonable accommodations for all employees. Anyone with disability related barriers is encouraged to apply.
IGNITE is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.