About Build the Future Collaborative:
Founded in 2015, Build the Future Education Collaborative provides support services to the Freire network of charter schools, which was established in 1999 with the opening of Freire Charter School in Philadelphia, PA. For sixteen years this school was led by Kelly Davenport, Ed.D., during which time Freire became one of the highest-performing high schools in Philadelphia.
Build the Future’s leadership and staff support each Freire school and its leadership by providing services in the following key areas:
- Executive services: school leadership, governance, and facilities
- Educational services: developing school leadership, coaching and professional development, and performance management
- Operations: human capital, finance, school operations, information technology, compliance, and legal
- Development & external relations: fundraising and marketing
Build the Future now supports four Freire campuses in Philadelphia and Wilmington. Build the Future’s work is guided by the mission to serve urban, predominately low-income students to further their achievement, advancement, and joy in school, society, and life.
This is a full-time position located in Philadelphia, PA. For more information on Build the Future Education Collaborative, please visit www.buildthefuture.org.
Reporting to the CEO and Network Founder, the Director of Learning will initially be embedded in the newest school, Tech Freire Charter High School, and play a pivotal role in shaping the instructional vision and operationalizing the instructional systems that define teaching and learning at Freire. The Director of Learning will also partner with the school’s leaders across the network to ensure that each student has access to rigorous curriculum, great teaching, and the academic support they need to succeed as well as ensure that each teacher has access to best in class professional development opportunities.
The key responsibilities of the Director of Learning include:
- Build a culture of instructional excellence and constant improvement characterized by standards-based, data-driven instruction, collaboration, and a relentless focus on maximizing student learning
- Mentor and provide support to School Leaders to become exemplary coaches of teachers
- Hold teachers accountable for meeting high standards for student academic and behavioral performance
- Use data (internal benchmarks and state mandated testing) to analyze program effectiveness and identify areas needing improvement
- Align resources so that curriculum development activities provide opportunities for increased staff expertise and accelerated student learning
- Support teaching staff with suggestions and strategies to improve curriculum, instruction, assessment, and classroom management
- Train teachers to develop clear and consistent classroom expectations and routines
- Support teachers in building meaningful relationships with students and parents
- Observe lessons and provide targeted and actionable feedback to teachers
- Use evaluations and data to make recommendations for how to improve and edit curricula
- Align curriculum and assessment inside each school and across the network
- Ensure curriculum across the network is communicated and aligned to the student’s needs
- Actively pursue opportunities to continue to learn what works best in curriculum development for the kids served, through research, professional development, and other learning opportunities
Professional Development and Coaching
- Ensure all teachers and school leaders are growing and professionalizing their craft as learning experts to better service the kids;
- Develop and deliver professional development sessions that will train teachers in pedagogy and academic content
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Build the Future Education Collaborative
- Superior grasp of effective instructional methods and strategies for educating urban youth
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong people and project management ability, with the proven ability to influence and enhance cooperative working relationships within a team environment
- Interest in providing only the highest quality educational experience for students and their families
- Ability to be flexible, resilient and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Demonstrated experience prioritizing multiple assignments, meeting tight deadlines, and willing to be flexible with a lean staff in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates a level of cultural competency and connectivity that is evident in the development and delivery of curriculum and professional development
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated success in the classroom, preferably within an urban school setting
- Master’s Degree in Education strongly preferred; Pennsylvania Principalship certification highly desired
- Experience in and/or understanding of the public-school system or charter schools is desirable
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Build the Future Education Collaborative has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
Build the Future Education Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.