Green Dot Public Schools seeks to hire an experienced Human Resources leader to set the strategic direction for their rapidly expanding, multi-state team. The Director of Human Resources will ensure that employee services, policies, and programs serve the needs of over 1,000 employees across California, Tennessee, and Washington state. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and collaborating with the Director of Human Capital and Controller, the Director of Human Resources will refine existing systems and develop new processes that support staff retention and increase employee engagement. This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who operates as a strategic visionary and has proven success in implementing workforce management practices.
Strategic Implementation and Execution of HR Functions
- Partner with management team members to embody and champion Green Dot Public Schools’ culture and core values, while developing HR systems and tools to guide the company’s growth and evolution.
- Serve as a network leader in all HR conversations, interactions, and communications so as to best represent the interest of Green Dot Public Schools’ staff and students and serve as point person for leadership team.
- Partner with Director, Human Capital to connect talent strategy with a seamless Human Resources operation that ensures that programs, policies, and services meet the needs of staff and with all legal, government, and benefits reporting requirements.
- Partner with COO to identify and implement systems (HRIS, benefits, time tracking systems, etc.) to automate HR processes, increase employee self-service, and ensure accurate employee data and timely reports for payroll processing and state reporting.
- Maintain personnel information in Workday to ensure timely and accurate processing of employee benefits.
- Negotiate with vendors to secure the maximum benefit for employees across Green Dot.
- Evaluate existing HR Functional Systems for service efficiency; create new strategies where necessary.
- Implement systems that align to the strict adherence of School System based and Federal employment regulations.
Building Relationships and Investing in Others
- Ensure a seamless onboarding and transition process for all full- and part-time employees.
- Actively engage with employees at all hierarchal levels to promote positive and constructive employee relations.
- Build favorable relationships with external stakeholders to the benefit of Green Dot personnel.
- Partner with the Union to ensure teacher and staff workplace satisfaction through active negotiations.
Managing Persons and Teams
- Be a visible leader who champions and inspires the team to make Green Dot Public Schools a great place to work.
- Manage and develop the five-member HR team to effectively develop strategy and execute toward set visions.
- Guide and support teachers and leaders through securing NCLB certification, tracking all components of the process through completion.
- A strong commitment to the Green Dot Public Schools mission and vision for educating students in the communities we serve.
- Ability to thrive in a faced-paced, entrepreneurial environment; comfortable with ambiguity and shifts in scope of duties.
- Track record of building, managing, and developing high-performing teams.
- Ability to analyze complex HR problems and develop effective strategies that balance multiple factors, including legal regulations, company culture, and best practices.
- Customer-service orientation, with a focus on understanding and meeting the needs of staff across the organization.
- Ability to balance strategic thinking with operational efficiency and to prioritize and manage multiple large-scale projects that overlap in timeframes.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to effectively build and leverage internal and external networks to achieve results.
- Demonstrated experience with multiple human resources disciplines, including benefits, compensation, compliance, employee services, onboarding, and organizational development in an education setting.
- Proven interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, positive track record of working with a diverse set of co-workers in multiple regions and/or locations.
- Five plus years of related HR experience, and proven leadership in managing a team toward executing HR functions in a mission critical environment.
- MBA preferred, but not required.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Green Dot Public Schools also offers a comprehensive benefits plan as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization.
Green Dot Public Schools has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Jackie Hanselmann Sergi at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/980.
Green Dot Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Green Dot Public Schools:
Green Dot Public Schools (www.greendot.org) is the leading charter school operator in Los Angeles, one of the largest in the nation, and an important catalyst for education reform in the State of California. Green Dot currently employs nearly 1,000 dedicated mission-driven personnel to serve more than 10,500 students. We are the only charter school operator in the country to lead the wholesale take-over and turn-around of a 3,000-plus-student high school. Green Dot’s take-over of Locke High School has received national recognition and has been hailed by the US Department of Education as a model for turnaround schools.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.