New York, NY | May 17, 2021
About Riders Alliance
The Riders Alliance fights for reliable, affordable and world-class public transit in order to build a more just and sustainable New York. Riders Alliance organizes subway and bus riders to build grassroots power across racial, economic, and neighborhood lines: holding elected officials accountable, engaging the public, and taking direct action to guarantee that riders have a powerful voice in the decisions that affect them.
For more information on Riders Alliance, please visit http://www.ridersny.org.
The Riders Alliance runs powerful community organizing and policy-level advocacy campaigns to win better public transit in New York. The Riders Alliance is working hard to make sure that public transit is at the center of an equitable and inclusive recovery for New York City, and to bring the transit rider movement to its next ground-shifting level.
The Director of Fundraising & Organizational Development is responsible for overseeing development and donor engagement for the Riders Alliance, and serving as a senior leader in the organization.
The Director of Fundraising & Organizational Development’s responsibilities include:
- Set direction, vision, and strategy for the organization by partnering with the Executive Director and Leadership team to enhance the organization’s reach, relationships, and funding;
- In partnership with the Executive Director, develop and execute a fundraising plan, including individual donors, foundations and corporate sponsorships.
- Create communications, events, and opportunities for donors to participate in the programmatic work and organizational growth of the Riders Alliance;
- Build and maintain direct personal relationships with major donors;
- Regularly provide individual donors with programmatic and/or organizational updates;
- Develop and execute a cultivation and recruitment strategy for new donors;
- Develop and maintain grant applications and renewals, including requests for general operating and project support;
- Run participatory in-person and/or virtual events for donors;
- Provide overall management and strategic guidance on the Riders Alliance annual gala, participate in individual and corporate fundraising for the gala, play a leadership role in event production and management.
- Work in close collaboration with the Executive Director, board, and other senior staff to set organizational priorities and structures for success;
- Set strategic goals and actively manage a talented team to raise funds and engage supporters;
- Manage key priorities, particularly around donor engagement, board development, and organizational growth opportunities;
- Work closely with board members on organizational matters, attend to board needs, and support board growth and effectiveness;
- Develop and present budgets, including annual budgets, project budgets, and financial reports for review and approval by the board, including liaising with the accountants to produce needed information;
- Oversee organizational operations, including personnel policies, administration systems, and benefits;
- Directly manage two staff members: the HR & Operations Manager and Development & Events Manager.
The ideal candidate is a high-level organizational strategist, an experienced and effective fundraiser, a strong manager, and a creative and collaborative thinker.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, experience, and savvy developing donor engagement strategies, and the ability to help manage the Executive Director’s donor relationships; experience developing and/or running sophisticated and detailed donor tracking systems a plus;
- Experienced manager with a commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for staff;
- Experience with collaborative decision-making styles and experience supporting organizational leaders and decision-makers;
- Experience building the strategy, tools, and processes that support successful donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, as evidenced by revenue and donor base growth;
- Collaborative self-starter, eager to create and innovate from the ground up within a highly collaborative environment;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills with proven ability to craft persuasive proposals and donor correspondence;
- Comfortable working on a relatively small, nimble, and growing team and able to toggle between strategic thinking and detail-oriented implementation.
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email [email protected] and [email protected] directly. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Riders Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply for the position.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.