Addgene was founded in 2004 as an organization dedicated to helping academic scientists share high-quality plasmids. With over 2,100 contributing laboratories and over 30,000 requesting laboratories, Addgene receives strong support from the international academic community.
Addgene is reaching this goal by operating a plasmid repository for the research community, working with thousands of laboratories to assemble a high-quality library of published plasmids for use in research and discovery. By linking plasmids with articles, scientists can always find data related to the materials they request.
As Addgene continues to enhance its program and build capacity, they are seeking an experienced Director of Finance to help the organization thrive during growth of the operation. The Director of Finance will play a critical role as part of the senior leadership team in strategic decision-making and operations. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
The Director of Finance will be an operational and strategic leader for the company and report to the Executive Director (ED). The successful candidate will be a hands-on partner managing all financial operations and supporting business planning and business development. This is a terrific opportunity to join a dynamic team and to contribute to an important resource for the scientific community in a company with a unique culture.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to craft financial plans and forecasts
- Produce, analyze and present financial reports; communicate monthly and annual financial statements, and oversee all financial accounting
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the audit committee of the Board of Directors; assess any changes necessary
- Ensure financial activity complies with Addgene investment policy
- Alongside the external audit/tax firm, prepare and file annual reports including the 990 and Form PC
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and keep senior leadership team informed of the organization’s financial status
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting
- Oversee financial accounting systems, including existing Netsuite implementation
- General knowledge of international accounting practices is a plus
- Oversee, update and implement all necessary accounting policies and practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Board of Directors and the audit committee
- Provide financial insight into strategic decision-making throughout the organization, including pricing on products and services
- Work with the Director of Operations to oversee the processing of accounts receivable and accounts payables
- Manage vendor relationships with the Director of Operations
- Cooperate with the Executive Director and Legal Team to identify corporate legal issues (e.g. trademark, risk management, non-tech transfer contracts, business insurance)
Human Resources Responsibilities:
- 403b Administration
- Collaborate with Accounting Manager on payroll administration, time tracking, check reimbursements and expense reports
- Work in collaboration with HR on compensation, professional development reimbursements, and benefits renewal and pricing
Business Development Responsibilities:
- A critical aspect of success is the ability to identify and evaluate risks and opportunities with each unique business model and industry structure
- Manage business model structuring and implementation
- Manage corporate structuring, including mergers and acquisitions and divestitures
- Support the Business Development team to research and develop strategies for international growth and expansion, including finding solutions payments, distribution, and marketing
- Support in financial aspects of contract and agreement negotiations (e.g. licensing fees, financial targets)
- Minimum of an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least five-seven years of overall professional experience in financial/accounting roles
- The ideal candidate has the experience of final responsibility for quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for a significant program area
- Ability to translate financial concepts to—and to effectively collaborate with— colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technologically savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills that support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Addgene
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Addgene has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard at https://koya.refi.ne/jobPosting/apply/881.
Addgene is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
Addgene is a unique, thriving nonprofit company that drives progress in biomedical research and discovery. Our unique biorepository is the largest and most recognized organization of its kind in the world. Addgene does the international collection, archiving and distribution of DNA-based materials called plasmids. Addgene is financially self-supporting through distribution fees. It does not rely on grant funding or donations for any of its operations.
The Addgene library contains over 40,000 samples and continues to grow. Over 9,000 plasmids are distributed each month reaching over 80 countries with 50% of the distribution going outside the United States. Addgene’s plasmid collection represents a broad range of disciplines and can be used for all types of life science and medical research. Addgene provides a user-friendly website for customers to interact with the database and complete their online purchases. Learn more about Addgene at www.addgene.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.