Boston, MA or Flexible | May 4, 2020
About Clean Air Task Force
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. With nearly 25 years of nationally and internationally recognized expertise on clean air policy and regulations and a fierce commitment to fully exploring all potential solutions, CATF is an environmental advocacy group with the bold ideas needed today to solve the climate crisis.
At Clean Air Task Force we are practical climate problem solvers. Our goal is to explore any plausible solution that offers promise, even if it is not in the environmental or philanthropic mainstream. We are a 25-year-old organization with a startup mentality, bold ideas, and an honest perspective.
Push the change in technologies and policies needed to get to a zero-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost.
Achieve zero-emissions energy, waste, agricultural, and forest management systems by 2050.
Meet the world’s rising energy demand in a way that is financially, socially and environmentally sustainable.
For more information about Clean Air Task Force, please visit: https://www.catf.us/
The Director of Finance Opportunity
CATF is seeking a dynamic, mission-driven Director of Finance to provide strategic leadership for the organization’s core financial operations and in support of the goals and objectives established by the Board, Executive Director and Managing Director. This is an ideal opportunity for a seasoned, hands-on finance professional to help continue the growth trajectory of an innovative and impactful organization.
A strategic and experienced leader, the Director’s primary focus is on directing and managing the organization’s fiscal functions. In addition, the Director provides strategic oversight ensuring that operations are aligned with fiscal systems and policies and collectively provide effective support to the entire organization as it grows and evolves both within the US and internationally.
As a key member of the leadership team, the Director plays a critical leadership role in both day-to-day operations and setting long-term strategy development and implementation.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance directly manages the finance, budgeting, treasury, accounting, tax, and risk management, and forecasting functions for CATF.
The Director of Finance will be accountable for, but not limited to, the following key responsibilities:
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans
- Oversee all compliance and expense reporting for foundation grants and other gifts
- Prepare our annual budget for approval from our Board of Directors
- Oversee and manage our annual financial audit in compliance with state and federal regulations
Accounting and Administration
- Oversee the accounting staff and contractors to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for foundations, donors, and the board of directors
- Oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements and reports for Program Directors and Leadership Team
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- Manage contracts, negotiations, and vendor relations around financial services
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of organizational and program budgets
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts
- Participate in organizational policy development as a member of the leadership team
- Engage with the leadership team and Board of Directors to develop short-term and long-term financial plans and projections
- Represent the organization to partners, including financial institutions, investors, foundation executives, auditors, and public officials
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
- Ensure the Leadership Team and Program Directors have sufficient financial information to facilitate organizational and program strategy development
The Director of Finance will be a seasoned and highly experienced leader with at least ten years of broad finance and operations management experience. The Director should be adept at gathering and evaluating financial and operations data and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership and the board of directors. The Director will ideally have experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, reporting, and forecasting) for a complex nonprofit with multiple funding sources including, contracts, individual donors, and foundations on a global scale.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Clean Air Task Force
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; a CPA and/or MBA
- At least 7-10 years’ experience as Director of Finance or equivalent, preferably in a nonprofit organization with a budget of at least $10M
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies
- Significant experience in or knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting
- Global finance experience
- Experience working in a virtual environment with a geographically dispersed workforce and globally distributed team
- Experience implementing business and financial tools and systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. The salary will be commensurate with experience. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. CATF’s central office is in Boston, MA, but the location for this position is flexible.
Clean Air Task Force has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To express interest in this opportunity, please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms at Koya here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Clean Air Task Force is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. CATF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits and NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.