Oberlin College and Conservatory seeks a visionary and innovative leader to build and direct entrepreneurship programming, comprised of LaunchU and Creativity & Leadership, at the college. This critical role reports to the deans of the Conservatory and the College of Arts & Sciences and engages a broad range of constituents to develop entrepreneurship in its many forms at Oberlin.
LaunchU is a singular platform for launching, advising, and investing in a full spectrum of startup ventures. Established in 2012 as a partnership between Oberlin College and its alumni, faculty, families, and other partners, LaunchU evolved out of Oberlin’s signature Creativity & Leadership Program. LaunchU provides resources, training, coaches, connections, and investment capital of all types—intellectual, technological, financial, philanthropic, and relationship-focused—to help start, accelerate, and grow student and alumni ventures. Please visit www.OCLaunchU.com for more information.
Creativity & Leadership is an on-campus program that drives students to put their innovative ideas into practice. The program draws on the synergy between the liberal arts and pre- professional training in music, and is open to students of all majors, from first-years to seniors. The program offers financial support on a competitive basis for students to move their ideas from concept towards implementation, and coordinates curricular and co-curricular opportunities to prepare students for the challenges of developing and implementing those ideas. Please visit www.oberlin.edu/creativity for more information.
- Provide leadership and vision for the robust development of all entrepreneurship activities related to Oberlin College and Conservatory, with both with students and faculty on campus and with alumni across the country
- Build a nationally recognized, transformative, and uniquely Oberlin program that spans:
- Develop and implement a focused curriculum and programming for student and alumni entrepreneurs, including an annual pitch competition and regional events throughout the year
- Recruit and engage participants, coaches, investors, and other partners
- Foster dynamic and productive connections among alumni and to the college around entrepreneurship
- Oversee the development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies to advance the program
Creativity & Leadership:
- Develop and implement programming that reaches broadly across the institution, including courses, workshops, speakers, and other on-campus events, as well as student funding opportunities
- Collaborate closely with the Office of Development and Alumni Affairs, as well as the Office of Foundation, Government, and Corporate Grants, to coordinate fundraising and development activities towards sustainability
- Oversee the development and management of program budgets
- Oversee entrepreneurship coaching for students from throughout the College and Conservatory
- Build and strengthen faculty, alumni, and partner networks in support of Oberlin entrepreneurship
- Teach (or coordinate the teaching of) ENTR 100: Introduction to Entrepreneurship and other courses as required
Ideal candidates will have a true passion for entrepreneurship and a clear vision for the place and value of entrepreneurship programming within an undergraduate education, as well as the capacity to articulate that value compellingly to students, faculty, parents, alumni, and others and to engage a broad range of partners.
In addition, candidates should possess:
- Capacity to cultivate creative risk-taking and innovation amongst students
- Demonstrated skills relevant to entrepreneurial endeavors, including a background in business, finance, and marketing or accomplishment in launching an initiative
- Strong management and execution capacity with demonstrated experience leading teams to desired outcomes
- Capacity to connect people, ideas, and opportunities and to establish and maintain effective networks and partnerships, including experience identifying and cultivating funders
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a range of constituencies, both on-campus and off
- Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organizational skills, including demonstrated ability to coordinate complex and multi-faceted projects, as well as to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to develop and manage a budget
- Capacity to manage and mentor student employees
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Oberlin College and Conservatory has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/917.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.