About Wish of a Lifetime:
Wish of a Lifetime (WOL) is a nonprofit based in Denver, CO whose mission is to shift the way society views and values our oldest generations by fulfilling seniors’ dreams and sharing their stories to inspire those of all ages. These meaningful experiences connect seniors with the passions, people, and purpose that bring meaning and joy to life. Wish of a Lifetime strives to engage the community in supporting and celebrating these amazing seniors, and contributing to the accomplishment of their lifelong dreams.
The granting of a Wish is a simple act, yet the outcomes are profound. WOL’s wish recipients report that they are happier, healthier, and feel more involved in the world after experiencing their Wish. By reaching out to elders in our lives, we can all help show them they are loved and appreciated. WOL connects seniors with people, purpose, and passions to eliminate their feelings of isolation and help them live vibrant, purposeful lives. The senior population is expected to double by 2050, and the 85+ population will triple in that time. Seniors are the fastest growing population in the world, and the number of seniors will only continue to grow. Currently, 11.3 million seniors live alone, and the number of single-person households increases with age.
A true Wish of a Lifetime achieved makes other goals seem possible, and encourages our Wish recipients to keep dreaming and pursuing their passions. Wishes have a ripple effect on the community, inspiring individuals to start seeing seniors in a new light. One incredible life story at a time, we are changing the perception of aging—not just how we view our oldest citizens, but also how we see and value ourselves as we age. Wish of a Lifetime has granted over 1,000 stories in 50 states.
Wish of a Lifetime is currently seeking a skilled Director of Development to oversee fundraising to support the mission. This is a full-time position and the location for the role is flexible.
For more information on Wish of a Lifetime, please visit www.wishofalifetime.org.
The Director of Development must be an experienced fundraising professional with a successful track record and demonstrated experience developing and implementing creative strategies for increasing funding and support for mission-driven organizations. The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director to develop and further the strategic development plan to expand the impact of Wish of a Lifetime and is expected to closely collaborate with other WOL staff to build involvement, enthusiasm and ensure seamless coordination of fundraising efforts with ongoing marketing and communications initiatives, earned local & major national media and programming operations. The responsibilities of the Director of Development include but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute ambitious but achievable annual and long-term plans for fundraising across the organization;
- Direct all fundraising activities, including identifying opportunities and prospecting, implementing targeted strategies for each opportunity, and soliciting and stewarding donors;
- Lead and implement the organization’s fundraising efforts to achieve revenue goals (Includes annual giving campaigns, fundraising events and ongoing individual, corporate and foundation development efforts.)
- Initiate and track grant proposals to targeted corporate and private foundations and manage accountability reporting for grants awarded and received.
- Work in close collaboration with the Executive Director and Wish of a Lifetime’s Board of Directors on fundraising initiatives;
- In partnership with the Director of Community Outreach, supervise the design and implementation of all donor communications and materials;
- Prepare and monitor Wish of a Lifetime’s annual fundraising plan, budget, and revenue forecasts;
- Provide accurate projections for budgetary and financial reports, and monitor and report on performance against plan and budget;
- Passion for the mission of Wish of a Lifetime and the ability to successfully advocate for the organization with a variety of audiences;
- Supervise Development Manager directly, along with interns/volunteers assigned to development related functions from time to time;
- Provide leadership, direction, and management for Wish of a Lifetime’s fundraising work among all staff.
The Director of Development must be a highly skilled fundraiser with a track record of successfully and strategically identifying, cultivating, and stewarding donors. Other desired skills and qualifications include:
- 7+ years of fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts
- Experience managing and mentoring staff and the ability to coach fundraisers to increasing levels of success
- Ability to interface effectively with the highest level of Wish of a Lifetime donors and senior staff members
- Ability to plan strategically and build long-term relationships with donors
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple, complex fundraising activities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with Wish of a Lifetime’s senior management team, board of directors, donors, and staff as well as external partners;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail and aspirations for excellence;
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of database marketing tools, and strong working knowledge of social media, and other online sales/marketing channels.
- Bachelor of Arts or Sciences degree required
- Passion for the mission and goals of Wish of a Lifetime
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, attention to detail, high degree of initiative, ability to take calculated risks, measure performance, and demonstrate an overall drive to build lasting fundraising success for the organization.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Wish of a Lifetime has engaged Liz Lombard and Turner Delano of Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
Wish of a Lifetime is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.