Flexible, USA | October 19, 2021
About the Pat Tillman Foundation
The Pat Tillman Foundation (PTF) unites and empowers remarkable military veterans and spouses as the next generation of public and private sector leaders committed to service beyond self. Inspired by Pat Tillman, who proudly put his NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals on hold to serve his country, family and friends established the Pat Tillman Foundation following Pat’s death in April 2004 while serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment in Afghanistan. Over the last 17 years, the Pat Tillman Foundation has supported over 750 Tillman Scholars as they’ve furthered their education and increased their professional impact in the world.
For more information on the Pat Tillman Foundation, please visit https://pattillmanfoundation.org.
PTF seeks an experienced and dynamic Director of Development to lead national development efforts in support of our mission and our Tillman Scholar community of 750. They will serve on the 5-person Executive Team of PTF to inﬂuence, manage, and deliver on a 3-year strategy that includes creation of an earned income revenue stream. We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the skillset to succeed in this role, regardless of industry, we encourage you to apply.
In order of preference, this position is ideally based in Chicago, New York, or the San Francisco Bay Area. Some travel is required. Remote will be considered and would require additional travel. This position reports to the CEO.
Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Oversee development activities for a $6M non-grant-making foundation to meet or exceed revenue targets across corporate, major, and individual giving.
- Manage a portfolio of individual and corporate investors and lead all stages of engagement including: identiﬁcation, qualiﬁcation, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Deliver, own, and improve upon a high-quality investor experience that connects our investors with our mission and our Tillman Scholars.
- Prepare ﬁnancial progress reports and budgets for the CEO and Director of Operations.
- Cultivate new relationships and manage existing relationships around key PTF events, some of which you’ll be responsible for driving: Tillman Honors, Pat Tillman Leadership Summit, Pat’s Run, Pints for Pat, Regional Summits, and Team Tillman.
- Leverage data in PTF infrastructure and across teams to drive impact.
- Inﬂuence & execute a nested development strategy that uniﬁes efforts across major gifts, online giving, and partnerships as we grow toward consistent $10M annual revenue.
- Create and support a community of stakeholders who are more than ﬁnancially invested, whose relationship with the Pat Tillman Foundation is not just transactional.
- Develop and support our digital giving strategy, working with our marketing team to create sophisticated digital strategies and campaigns.
- Develop and execute a funding model that rebalances in favor of earned income.
- Externally represent a nonproﬁt deeply rooted in values, committed to impact, and inspired by the selﬂess service of Pat Tillman, servicemembers, veterans, and spouses.
- Lead a 4-person development team based in Chicago and elsewhere.
- Engage and leverage Board of Directors and Tillman Scholar community in fundraising.
- Lead and support the Board of Directors’ fundraising committee.
- Create an Advisory Board that will formalize relationships and partnerships with PTF.
- Partner with Executive Team of CEO, and Directors of Program, Marketing & Communication, Development, and Operations to guide long term strategy.
The Director of Development will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Driven and adaptable. You want to leverage the skills you’ve built over your 10+ years of experience, whether in fundraising or elsewhere, that demonstrate exceptional leadership ability and effective management.
- Inspired and inspirational. You are moved by the selﬂess sacriﬁce of our country’s veterans and their families, even if you didn’t serve personally. You love working with people and know how to excite them about the opportunities to fund the Pat Tillman Foundation’s work. You love brainstorming to come up with big, inspiring ideas.
- Deal closer. You know how to deliver on big, inspiring ideas. You can communicate clearly and concisely. You make compelling asks and know how to prospect as well as close funding opportunities. You understand the power that small, daily, consistent actions have to create trust and build lasting relationships.
- Fundraising expert. You have deep knowledge of both the art and science of fundraising, and have shown you can deliver on a plan that includes corporate, major, and individual gifts. You have a strong facility with fundraising software and a broad understanding of investor acquisition and digital giving.
- Results- and data-driven. You are driven by results and informed by data. You use data to make decisions and translate strategy into action.
- Highly organized. You are a systems thinker who can manage multiple projects and prioritize appropriately to produce high-quality results quickly and on time. You create clear and logical systems and processes to support your work and that of your team.
- Detail-oriented. You are highly efﬁcient and detailed with investor lists and management of fundraising software. You can use these tools to create impactful strategies.
- Relationship-driven. You love having the opportunity to work across diverse constituents, representing a wide range of investors and members of the community who support veterans and leadership development.
- Passionate: You care about making a difference in the world, and want to support veterans and their families working at an impactful level across sectors including health, law, business, policy, academia, government, and defense. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Erin Reedy and Sarah Wilson of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email us at [email protected] or [email protected]. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
The Pat Tillman Foundation is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. PTF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.