VentureWell envisions a world where science and technology innovators have the support they need to solve the world’s most difficult problems. We are leaders in developing programs in higher education, government, and philanthropy that prepare innovators to launch economically scalable, technological ventures around the world.
Watch our Introduction to VentureWell video here. We also invite you to view our blog and more videos of our work to deepen your understanding of our work in technology innovation, invention and entrepreneurship.
Founded with support from the Lemelson Foundation, VentureWell also receives substantial funding from the National Science Foundation, the United States Agency for International Development, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. We are a growing organization with an annual budget of $10 million dollars.
Our success has positioned us for growth and we are seeking a dynamic, collaborative, and hands-on Director of Development who will report directly to the President and lead the expansion of our foundation and public funding sources.
VentureWell is located in the beautiful Pioneer Valley/Five College area in Western Massachusetts. We offer competitive pay and generous benefits including insurance, paid time off, and retirement.
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies and plans in support of VentureWell’s strategic plan
- Develops and executes the identification, qualification, cultivation, and stewardship processes to solidify relationships with foundations and government agencies
- Manages and leads proposal development and grant writing – from research and prospect development, to stewardship of program initiation within the organization. Scope includes concept papers, foundation proposals, federal solicitations, and requests for quotations and proposals
- Ensures alignment of funding opportunities, partnerships, and new programs with the organization’s mission and vision using a collaborative approach and screening process
- Organizes and drives collaborative, cross-departmental development efforts with other VentureWell leadership and staff to identify, cultivate, and respond to strategic opportunities
- Manages reporting requirements for the current portfolio of grants
- Effectively manages and leverages departmental resources including budget, staff, and contractors
- Coordinates and manages external relationships related to fundraising and strategic business development
- Attends industry and VentureWell conferences, events, and workshops to meet and cultivate current and potential corporate and foundation funders and alumni
- Organizes development events at VentureWell’s annual conference including funder and alumni engagement
- Builds and maintains relationships with prospective donors, including current and former grantees and program participants
- Implements and optimizes fundraising processes, tools, and technologies
- Supervises development staff who research, identify, and track foundation partners
- Supports other administrative tasks as needed
- Minimum of 10 years related fundraising experience
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree a plus
- Background in science, technology, and/or entrepreneurship a plus
- Track record of success in the following:
- Securing and sustaining funding from private, federal, and other sources including grants, contracts, and earned revenue programming;
- Identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and closing strategies; and
- Management of people and complex projects
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills; significant experience in developing and writing proposals
- Ability to:
- Lead and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment; and
- Deal with ambiguity, be flexible and dynamic, and adapt to changing environment/needs
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and fundraising and project management software
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred
Koya Leadership Partners has been exclusively retained for this search, which is being led by Liz Lombard. To express your interest in this role, please submit your resume via Koya’s online system: https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/963.
VentureWell is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
VentureWell was founded in 1995 as the National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance (NCIIA) and rebranded in 2014 to underscore its impact as an education network that cultivates revolutionary ideas and promising inventions. A not-for-profit organization reaching more than 200 universities, VentureWell is the leader in funding, training, coaching, and early investment that brings student innovations to market. VentureWell is located in the beautiful Pioneer Valley/Five College area in Western Massachusetts. We offer competitive pay and generous benefits including insurance, paid time off, and retirement. For more information about VentureWell, visit www.venturewell.org.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.