Brooke Charter Schools is a Boston-based network of college preparatory public charter schools, consisting of three K-8 schools and a high school. Brooke currently serves 1,650 students in grades K-9 and in the next four years will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12. Our Students are 90% black and Latino and 76% qualify for free or reduced-price lunch.
Brooke schools are nationally recognized as among the nation’s top-performing public schools. On the 2015 PARCC tests, Brooke was the highest performing district in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. More African-American students scored at the highest level of the PARCC math test at Brooke than in all the Boston Public Schools. Our first graduating 8th grade cohort has a 40% 6-year graduation rate from 4-year colleges (as opposed to 8% for their low-income peers in district schools).
We are often asked how it is that our scholars are achieving at such a high level. The answer: It’s the teaching. Research has conclusively shown that the quality of a child’s classroom teacher is by far the biggest predictor of a child’s in-school success. And yet, too often, our schools don’t act on that knowledge. Getting to excellence in teaching is an enormous challenge that requires all of our time and attention. Great teaching is a challenge of leadership and intellect and all-out will. It requires people of extraordinary skill who are committed to constant improvement. It requires principals who are able to create instructional cultures of excellence and collaboration. It requires operational leaders and teams who are able to insulate instructional teams from the myriad of urgent non-instructional dilemmas schools are confronted with each day. The Brooke example is proof that when we have outstanding teachers and principals who are able to focus themselves completely on excellent teaching, ALL of our kids can soar.
This is a full-time position located in Boston, MA. For more information on Brooke Charter Schools, please visit http://www.ebrooke.org/.
Brooke Charter Schools is seeking a senior, experienced development officer to provide strategic direction and oversight for an $11.7m capital campaign to support the development of Brooke High School’s permanent campus. Reporting directly to the Co-Director and Co-Founder, the Director of Development (DoD) will serve as a critical member of the network senior leadership team and work closely with the Brooke Board of Trustees, and Brooke’s Board of Ambassadors. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of Brooke’s fundraising, including individual giving, local and national foundation and corporate investments, and state and federal funding opportunities.
The Director of Development will act as Brooke’s chief fundraiser developing major-gift proposals and solicitation opportunities for both individuals and institutions, expanding donor stewardship, leading board engagement, and collaborating on all development communications. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Work with leadership and the board to develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan to meet our two-year, $11.7 million capital goal.
- Lead Brooke’s effort to grow our network of individual supporters, overseeing donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship action steps.
- Research and cultivate grant opportunities from foundations and from state and federal government sources while also managing and maintaining Brooke’s existing grants and relationships with foundations.
- Lead the board’s development committee, the Board of Ambassadors, and provide all board updates.
- Manage Brooke’s year-end annual appeal.
- Work collaboratively on donor communications and marketing efforts – including annual reports, newsletters, and other capital campaign tools – to increase Brooke’s visibility, supporting content development, while ensuring that all external materials align with and enhance Brooke’s mission and values.
- Manage a part-time Development Associate who provides all individual donor data entry support.
- Successful track record in individual and institutional fundraising, development operations, and comfort collaborating with Boards of Directors.
- Experience growing the donor base of an organization; successful track record of raising at least $1M annually.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; demonstrated ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is mission-aligned, and compelling to a diversity of audiences.
- Comfort with making decisions independently combined with an ability to work collaboratively; strong understanding of their role as a leader on any project and team.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to plan effectively, meet all deadlines, and provide exceptional detail management.
- Tireless networker and developer of a broad base of relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to Brooke’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Brooke Charter Schools has engaged Liz Lombard and Alicia Salerno of Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
The community and students Brooke Charter Schools serves are diverse, and they are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. Brooke strives to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, they encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, they provide the best educational experience to prepare their students for a future reflective of the world we live in.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.