About American Nuclear Society:
Established in 1954, the American Nuclear Society (ANS) is a professional organization devoted to the peaceful applications of nuclear science and technology. Its nearly 11,000 members, from over 40 countries, come from diverse technical backgrounds covering the full range of engineering disciplines as well as the physical and biological sciences. The organization is advancing the application of nuclear technologies to improve the lives of the world community through national and international enterprise within government, academia, research laboratories and private industry.
The Vision, Mission and Purpose of ANS:
Vision: ANS will be the recognized, credible advocate for advancing and promoting nuclear science and technology.
Mission: ANS provides its members with opportunities for professional development. It also serves the nuclear community by creating a forum for sharing information and advancements in technology, and by engaging the public and policymakers through communication outreach.
Purpose: The core purpose of ANS is to promote awareness and understanding with regard to the peaceful application of nuclear science and technology.
A primary objective of the organization is to promote the advancement of engineering and science relating to the atomic nucleus. Other purposes are to integrate the many nuclear science and technology disciplines, encourage research, establish scholarships, disseminate information through publications and journals, inform the public about nuclear-related activities, hold meetings devoted to scientific and technical papers, and cooperate with government agencies, educational institutions, and other organizations having similar purposes.
The organization fulfills a very valuable role as an independent and highly influential voice for nuclear technologies. A valued member shared, “ANS has a fantastic concentration of expertise within the nuclear sciences. They have great credibility throughout the industry, with the media, and with policy makers.”
Making ANS succeed is a Board of Directors, 20 standing committees, 19 professional divisions, one technical group and two working groups, 32 local sections, 63 student sections, and 50 professional staff members.
The Center for Nuclear Science and Technology Information (the Center) is ANS’s primary public information and public policy arm, created to foster interest in and to increase understanding about nuclear science and technology. Funded by individuals and corporations both inside the organization and outside, the Center provides credible, trustworthy information for those seeking to better understand how nuclear science and technology impact the quality of their lives.
The Center serves an important role in advancing STEM Education, providing thousands of teachers and students with workshops, and offering materials that support classroom lessons, science fairs and other activities that help the next generation learn of the power of the atom. The Center works with educators, policy makers, the media, and the public to help ensure that a reliable, independent source of factual information about nuclear science and technology is maintained and available to all. The Center also harnesses the collective knowledge and passion of ANS’s members for the advancement of nuclear science and technology.
ANS is national and international in its scope, headquartered in La Grange Park, Illinois, just over 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. For more information, please visit www.ans.org.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Membership and Marketing (the Director) will be responsible for the recruitment and retention of members and the implementation of the marketing strategy for ANS. This strategy will increase membership and brand recognition expanding the reach, and its scope and services to members worldwide.
- In collaboration with senior colleagues and department staff, the Director will work to engage current and prospective members through strategic messaging and by enhancing the environment for rewarding and meaningful experiences for both individual and organization members. S/he will offer strategic insights and direction for enhancing existing products and developing potential new products.
The Director will oversee a team of 5 marketing and customer service professionals. The Director will work with other departments across the organization to refine ANS’s identity and position it externally. S/he will identify the needs and satisfaction levels of current and potential new members and other “customers.”
- A collaborative and communicative leader, the Director will provide market research and database analysis services to the organization, manage member services activities including customer service, record maintenance and membership dues billing and processing.
Responsibilities of the Director of Membership and Marketing include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting research to determine the universe of potential new members; understanding the competitive market;
- Developing and implementing strategies to retain current members and recruit new members, utilizing innovative and multi-channel approaches including, but not limited to email, direct mail, telemarketing, space ads and social media;
- Participating in or otherwise providing guidance to other departments on new business/product development strategies and processes;
- Managing the overall operations of the member/customer services function, including phone, email and mail customer service, dues billing and processing, and various fulfillment activities;
- Managing the planning, copywriting, design, production and distribution of promotional campaigns for existing products, programs and services, in conjunction with other departments; Identifying and recommending member dues and pricing strategies to optimize revenue generation and membership growth; and
- Managing the ANS Champions Program, a member giving program.
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
Marketing & Membership Expertise
The Director is an experienced leader in the field with a curious mindset and a high level of intellectual horsepower. S/he has demonstrated experience in setting and implementing marketing and membership strategies in associations or membership organizations. S/he has a measurable track record of success in previous roles and experience implementing branding and integrated marketing strategies and tactics with demonstrated results increasing membership, awareness and engagement. S/he is analytical and data-driven, able to conceptualize and analyze both problems and solutions and identify key metrics that will help the ANS’s goal towards increased membership and engagement . S/he is a strong communicator able to interface with a variety of audiences, both internal and external and will bring a strong client service perspective to the role. S/he has extraordinary written and verbal communication and presentation skills and the credibility and poise to present to a wide range of stakeholders.
Strategic & Innovative Leader with Strong Execution Skills
The Director will have the ability to set marketing and membership priorities decisively, delegate responsibilities, assure accountability and allocate resources to ensure results. A tactical executor, s/he will have a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive decisions and achieves strategic objectives. The Director will be a strategic and results-oriented leader who can translate business and operations plans into marketing and membership strategies. S/he is a creative thinker who effectively and constructively will lead ANS to consider new and innovative approaches to targeting and engaging new members. S/he is a visionary leader, and a highly collaborative colleague; someone who can enlist the support of the entire organization behind a marketing and membership strategy.
A Relationship Builder and Communicator
The Director will be skilled at building and sustaining relationships at multiple levels with varied constituencies including ANS’s Board of Directors, global members, volunteer leaders, senior leadership team and staff. S/he will be a confident and articulate communicator with the ability to work fluidly across all levels. S/he will be a collaborative leader who can talk with all constituents. S/he will have a strong working relationship with key leaders and will be a proactive communicator at all times. S/he will have an inspirational approach to building collaboration and buy-in and generating support and engagement from global members.
Passion for the Mission
The Director will have a passion for ANS’s mission with a genuine interest in nuclear science and technology. S/he will embrace the ANS culture while continuing to innovate to improve and strengthen member relations, products, programs and services. The Director will be an individual of unquestioned integrity, ethics and values; someone who can be trusted without reservation.
A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
Marissa Martin and Turner Delano of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here or email Marissa and Turner directly at email@example.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The American Nuclear Society is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.