Washington, DC or New York, NY | September 15, 2020
About Demand Progress
Demand Progress is a leading national policy, lobbying, and grassroots group with two million affiliated activists who fight for basic rights and freedoms needed for a modern democracy. The organization focuses on internet freedom, anti-monopoly and anti-corporatism work, money in politics and financial reform, building Congressional capacity and open and accountable government, and opposition to excessive militarism and promotion of human rights.
For more information on Demand Progress, please visit its website.
Demand Progress is seeking a Development Director to lead the fundraising efforts of the organization. This role is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious leader and creative thinker who wants to set strategy, spearhead fundraising efforts, and champion the work externally. The Director will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
- Research and prospect for potential funders.The Development Director will research potential funders in core issue spaces, including civil liberties, internet freedom, open government, money-in-politics, and financial reform. They will also identify new and non-traditional funders and opportunities to support the work.
- Conduct funder outreach. This will include outreach to potential funders and keeping in close contact with existing funders and program officers about Demand Progress’s current and prospective work.
- Manage grants.The Development Director should be skilled and extremely organized when it comes to writing grant applications; overseeing budgets and deadlines; and drafting interim and final reports for funders. They will be responsible for ~20 grants a year.
- Craft collateral for funders.The Development Director should be adept at creating materials, including digital products, that communicate Demand Progress’s high-impact work in a way that is compelling and creative to their funders and members.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- At least 5-7 years of experience in development and fundraising for non-profit or progressive organizations;
- Collaborative self-starter, with a proven track record of identifying, cultivating, stewarding, soliciting, and closing gifts from prospects and donors;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills with proven ability to craft persuasive proposals and donor correspondence;
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information;
- Inspired by Demand Progress mission with ability to creatively bridge mission and program objectives with donors’ interests and priorities.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email [email protected] or [email protected]. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Demand Progress is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.