New York, NY | January 3, 2020
About Overdeck Family Foundation
The Overdeck Family Foundation believes that unlocking every child’s potential is the key to a better future – for all of us. Founded in 2011 by entrepreneurs John and Laura Overdeck, the Foundation focuses exclusively on education, supporting research and organizations that seek to open doors for every child in the U.S. by measurably enhancing education both inside and outside the classroom. Using a data-driven and evidence-based approach, the Foundation’s investments enhance each stage of learning, from birth to graduation, and are grounded in five focus areas: early childhood; educators; schools; out-of-school STEM opportunities; and the use of data to improve policy and practice. The Foundation’s grantmaking is guided by a ROI approach, with data /research investments supporting R+D and new insights and programmatic investments following a venture philanthropy model. This year, the Foundation will distribute approximately $40M in funding, and with growth of its assets forecasted, annual distributions will increase over the next 5 years.
The Foundation’s grantees have included leading organizations such as Parent Corps, Centering Healthcare Institute, ILabs, Springboard Collaborative, EdReports, Public Impact, Highlander Institute, New Schools Venture Fund, Khan Academy, FIRST Robotics, and many others. Please visit https://overdeck.org/grantmaking/grantee-listing/ to see a full grantee list.
For more information about the Foundation’s work, impact, and values please visit www.overdeck.org.
The Overdeck Family Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About The Data and Insights Manager Opportunity
The Strategic Impact and Learning (SIL) team guides strategy and investment decision-making at the Foundation by supporting impact assessment and learning. SIL enables the Foundation and its portfolios to:
- Invest in the highest ROI grants for achieving strategy goals
- Pursue foundation and portfolio strategies based on evidence and continuous learning
- Influence education practitioners, funders and policymakers by contributing new knowledge
- Build grantee capacity to measure and achieve impact cost-effectively
The Data and Insights Manager (the “Manager”) is a newly-created position on the SIL team that will build and manage Foundation data and learning systems. Reporting to the Strategic Impact and Learning Director, the Manager will play an instrumental role guiding Foundation efforts to meaningfully harness data and knowledge in service of decision-making and greater impact. The Manager will collaborate closely with portfolio teams to ensure data is effectively collected, analyzed and utilized to produce actionable insights. The Manager will guide systems and processes that enable the Foundation to become a best-in-class learning organization.
Specifically, the Data and Insights Manager will:
- Co-develop and guide the implementation of learning agendas that articulate how the foundation and portfolios will pursue strategic learning priorities
- Design and manage structures and practices that support reflection and learning that can be applied to strategy decisions (e.g., all-staff meetings, brown bag lunches, externally-facilitated trainings, etc.)
- Manage semi-annual reviews of portfolio grantmaking results and lessons aligned with Foundation and portfolio learning agendas
- Analyze grantee and external datasets to surface key insights
- Synthesize and communicate insights, new research, and best practices gleamed from the field (via academic literature, conversations with grantees and peer funders, conferences, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Communications team to develop and disseminate external learning and knowledge products
Knowledge & Information Systems
- Maintain and enhance the foundation’s grants data system (AirTable) to efficiently collect high-integrity data that meaningfully informs decision-making
- Train staff on the grants data system, and track and resolve all questions and issues pertaining to the grants data system
- Collaborate with SIL and Program colleagues to ensure grant outcomes data and learning are captured and reflected appropriately in the grants data system
- Design, generate, and interpret monthly, annual, and ad hoc reports in service of effective grantmaking administration
- Partner with the Operations team to design and manage internal systems, tools, and approaches for capturing learning and knowledge from different sources (e.g. research, conferences, grantee reports, team discussions) to be accessible and actionable
Grantee Capacity Building
- Manage cohort of foundation partnerships and grants building the data and learning capacities of foundation grantees
- Support grantee needs and questions concerning measurement, learning and data (e.g., phone consultations, grantee convening sessions, recommended resources/tools)
- Provide training to program staff on assessing grantee data and learning capacity and needs to inform the provision of capacity-building support
- Learn from and alongside peer funder grantee capacity-building efforts
Candidate Profile and Qualifications
As the incoming Data and Insights Manager, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- 7+ years relevant experience preferably working in strategy/management consulting and/or social sector contexts
- Demonstrated experience with proactive database management to ensure knowledge capture and management systems and processes
- Strong data analysis/visualization skills, with the ability to effectively synthesize and communicate information
- Outstanding attention to detail combined with creativity and initiative, with the ability to thrive in an environment of high expectations and driven by a growth mindset
- Proven success as a project manager in a cross-functional setting, including strong interpersonal and relationship management skills to ensure execution of project components
- Experience designing and facilitating learning/training; experience in adult learning theory is preferred
- Deep commitment to the mission and approach of the Foundation and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization that prioritizes continuous learning, innovation, and data-driven decision-making and demonstrates a bias towards action
- Disposition toward seeing options and opportunities within ambiguity and taking calculated risks in order to challenge the status quo and achieve ambitious results
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree in business, economics, statistics, or other highly quantitative field preferred
Compensation & Benefits
The Overdeck Family Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Benefits include:
- Fully paid medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and dependents, competitive 401k match, employer-paid life & disability insurance
- Onsite gym with laundry service, wellness activities, casual dress, snacks, game rooms
- Generous vacation and unlimited sick days, competitive paid caregiver leaves
Learn more about working at the Foundation here.
The Overdeck Family Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to Jon Sotsky, here. All inquiries should be directed to Koya Leadership Partners.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.