Washington, DC | August 26, 2020
About the Center for Policing Equity
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) uses evidence-based approaches to social justice problems and conducts research to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change. They work with police and communities to change the policies and procedures that perpetuate bias in policing and use their Data-Driven Interventions (DDI’s) to equip law enforcement and communities to address racial bias systematically. CPE also focuses on leveraging technology to analyze data on police stops, searches, arrests, and use of force to measure disparities and reveal patterns of unjust outcomes.
For more information on the Center for Policing Equity please visit its website.
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a VP of Legislative and Community Engagement (VP) to build federal, state, and local advocacy capacity and advance the organization’s position with federal, state, and local policymakers by leveraging their scientific and subject matter expertise.
The VP is responsible for developing and executing policy campaigns on the organization’s public safety policy and partnership priorities; building, resourcing, and maintaining strategic alliances with engaged and influential federal, state, and local policymaking officials. The VP will also have the opportunity to work with civil rights, advocacy, and community-based organizations to ensure engagement with the community informs the policy work.
The VP must possess a passion for social justice as it pertains to the public safety landscape. With CPE’s mission as a focus, the VP will work to set legislative and community priorities by diagnosing the current landscape of public safety on a national (federal and multi-state) level and identifying the policymakers and changemakers who are most influential in the space.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead the Policy and Community Engagement teams to develop the organization’s strategic priorities;
- Represent CPE’s data-driven solutions to federal, state, and local legislators;
- Develop systems for keeping key staff informed of public safety policy developments across the country;
- Oversee the drafting and review of legislation;
- Lead small, high-functioning teams to deploy advocacy strategies at the federal and state levels;
- Lead small, high-functioning teams to deploy a cohesive community engagement strategy for our law enforcement partnership cities;
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders, experts, and policymakers.
The VP of Legislative and Community Engagement will be a values-oriented executive who will collaborate across the organization for the success of CPE. As a high visibility external and internal leader at CPE, the VP will have a deep personal and professional connection with CPE’s core values.
The VP will possess most if not all of the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree(s) in law, public policy, or a related field;
- At least fifteen (15) years of relevant senior-level experience working in government, consulting, or related think tanks; deep networks at the federal level strongly preferred;
- Proven ability to craft and execute high-impact federal and multi-state campaign strategies;
- Experience supporting policy advocacy, working in state or federal legislative and executive branch offices on public policy issues;
- Experience with legislative drafting, analysis, and implementation;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience leading executive-level discussions;
- Full command of federal and state policymaking systems, legislative processes, and political activity reporting requirements.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong leadership and management skills;
- Strategic, entrepreneurial approach to developing advocacy solutions;
- Ability to understand and translate technical and legal concepts to academic and lay audiences;
- Capacity to effectively prioritize projects, work simultaneously on multiple ventures, and meet deadlines working with the director of a project manager.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please visit this link or email [email protected] or [email protected]. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Center for Policing Equity strives to build a diverse team that is inclusive of multiple perspectives and welcoming for people of all backgrounds. Women and members of minority communities are especially encouraged to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com