New York, NY | February 5, 2020
A national nonprofit in the midst of substantial, strategic growth is seeking an Executive Vice President, Development. This technology workforce development nonprofit has a roughly $25M budget, 200 staff, and regional locations in over 10 major cities. Headquartered in New York, NY, the organization is in the midst of a $30M campaign, for which they have raised 75% to date. The current development leader is transitioning into another role within the organization, so they are looking for a new dynamic leader to step into the chief fundraising position.
The Executive Vice President, Development will report directly to the CEO and will serve as a member of the national leadership team. The Executive Vice President, Development will design and execute the strategy around an innovative, diversified funding model that incorporates traditional fundraising elements, namely corporate and foundation partnerships and individual giving, alongside new models of resource development. These new areas might include venture philanthropy, impact investing, social impact funds, Pay for Success, or other opportunities that leverage the unique programmatic model that the organization offers.
The ideal candidate will be excited to partner on a local and national scale, building and strengthening relationships with key current and prospective stakeholders, including Board members, corporate partners, regional and national funders, policymakers, elected officials, and other influential individuals across broad sectors.
The Executive Vice President, Development’s primary responsibilities will include:
Strategic Fundraising & External Partnership Orientation
- Partnering closely with the CEO and other members of the national leadership team as the primary facilitator in fundraising efforts with philanthropic investors, institutional foundations, and family offices/foundations, serving as part of an entrepreneurial team to raise the philanthropic capital needed to augment the organization’s earned revenue
- Alongside the CEO, acting as a lead representative and spokesperson with funding partners and prospects to engage and solicit new partners and, once partnerships are formed, ensure continued funding growth
- Serving as the primary spokesperson for the organization, pitching, presenting, and engaging audiences around the organization’s work and the return on investment for donors and partners
- Driving forward the organization’s desire to increase individual contributions
- Providing coaching, feedback, and support for the 10-person Development team
- Serving as the internal expert and guide for regional directors, who manage their own local fundraising partnerships, and helping to ensure they meet their annual fundraising goals
- Utilizing Salesforce and a data-driven approach to effectively identify potential donors and refine the organization’s fundraising efforts
- Partnering on the development of organizational-wide and development-specific strategy
Board Partnership & Cultivation
- Collaborating with the 30-person Board of Directors and leadership to set and meet fundraising goals and objectives
- Alongside the CEO, identifying and cultivating new Board members
- Supporting regional Boards across the organization in their fundraising strategy and efforts
Ideal candidates for the Executive Vice President, Development opportunity will possess the following skills and attributes:
- At least 10 years of experience building sophisticated partnerships and alliances, primarily with individuals and national corporate, foundation, and/or government funding partnerships
- A personal commitment to diversity and inclusion; demonstrated interest in and passion for supporting people within communities that are often overlooked, such as people of color, women, and disconnected youth
- Experience raising philanthropic capital needed to augment earned revenue models, which leads to longer term sustainability and investments in innovation
- Exceptional communications and presentation skills, with significant experience pitching, presenting, and engaging audiences, leveraging metrics to demonstrate return on investment
- Leadership experience in creating and executing development strategy involving multiple departments, teams, and locations throughout an organization
- Business acumen to develop, negotiate, and understand complex contracts, budgets, and partnership packages
- Demonstrated skills in management, with an eye toward coaching, developing, and empowering staff
- Tech-savvy, with the ability to effectively partner with and supervise remote colleagues
- Experience growing and managing a Board of Directors who are directly involved in the fundraising process
- Highly organized, with a systems-minded and data-driven approach
- Professional maturity and a high EQ
- Excellent change management skills, with an entrepreneurial approach and an appetite for working in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
The Executive Vice President, Development opportunity will require a willingness to travel approximately 35% of the time and participate in evening/weekend obligations as needed.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Meghan Franklin is leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role, please visit this link here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
This organization is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.