The mission of iNACOL is to drive the transformation of education systems and accelerate the advancement of breakthrough policies and practices to ensure high-quality learning for all. An internationally-engaged network, iNACOL supports a diverse community of practitioners and educators. We maximize our support for these education innovators through policy advocacy, field-building and knowledge creation, and connecting and convening these parties via our annual Symposium and other events.
iNACOL is seeking an experienced and passionate Communications Director to join the leadership team at the organization and develop and implement holistic communication strategies to broaden the awareness and impact of iNACOL’s programs (Policy Advocacy, CompetencyWorks, the Symposium) and evolve iNACOL’s brand. Reporting directly to the CEO and working collaboratively with senior leadership, this position will oversee external and internal strategic communications including public outreach, media relations and organizational messaging. This is an exciting role for a senior level communications professional to help drive the future impact of the organization, empower policy makers and leaders across the field of K-12 education and effect system change that will increase opportunities for learners everywhere.
This is a full-time position with the opportunity to work virtually. For more information on iNACOL, please visit https://www.inacol.org/.
The Communications Director will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and manage iNACOL’s overall communications strategy
- Contribute to overall organizational strategy and serve as an advocate and spokesperson for iNACOL
- Ensure consistency in developing and executing internal and external communications with alignment to iNACOL’s mission, vision, values and strategic plan
- Implement the iNACOL Strategic Communications Plan
- Supervise brand management to foster deeper understanding of the breadth and depth of iNACOL’s work toward our mission of transforming teaching and learning
- Be accountable for articulating and implementing a communication strategy to foster greater awareness of iNACOL amongst external audiences including the media, policy makers and key influencers
- Develop pro-active relationships with industry leaders in K-12 education journalists and media outlets
- Write and develop Letters to the Editor, Op Eds, interviews on key education topics
- Seek opportunities for iNACOL communication outreach in a variety of public forums and social media (news, blogs, radio, TV interviews, etc.)
- Manage media requests. Facilitate interviews with iNACOL staff as required
- Prepare presentations, talking points and written products as required
- Track iNACOL media relations activities including outreach, placements and mentions
- Work with various lead authors to manage final stages of iNACOL publications, including:
- Coordinating publications schedules with strategic communications opportunities
- Developing publication launch plans
- Editing and copyediting
- Graphics needs including managing layout (including revisions)
- Managing reports launch and distribution
Symposium and Special Events
- Coordinate and approve media representation at events
- Manage communications items for all events (i.e. Symposium, special events and regional conferences)
- Coordinate partnership opportunities with the media and other external groups for outreach
- Manage annual Voices Hub podcasting studio at the event
Social Media Strategy
- Create strategy and produce creative and compelling content to strengthen the iNACOL brand and engage our community on social media
- Produce thought leadership pieces for distribution on the blog and other social media channels
- Oversee blog production, schedules and outreach; provide management for guest bloggers
- Provide management for guest bloggers
- Write press releases, distribute e-blasts, and run social media campaigns to drive attendance for webinars
- 5+ years of communications and marketing experience. Nonprofit sector and/or K-12 education experience strongly preferred.
- Prolific and exceptional verbal and written communication skills; well versed in public speaking (both planned and extemporaneous). Must be precise in language used.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Google Drive, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, WordPress, and selected database and email targeting tools
- Experience creating and contributing to web-based publications and content sharing tools
- A self-starter and highly motivated, possessing the ability to be pro-active and accomplish goals with minimal supervision
- Highly organized, capable of keeping multi-tasking and keeping multiple strands of work moving forward all while producing timely, high-quality deliverables
- Familiarity with multiple social media platforms (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people both internally and externally
- Good judgement and decision-making ability; attention to detail and accuracy and flexibility
- Commitment to iNACOL’s stated values of being Student-Centered, Equity-Driven, Future-Focused, Credible, Knowledge-Driven and Collaborative
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
- An ability to travel periodically is required
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
iNACOL has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
iNACOL welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education, and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.