Founded in 2011, People’s Preparatory Charter School prepares all of its students to graduate from the college of their choice as informed, involved, and resilient citizens. People’s Prep’s core values of Grit, Empathy, Achievement, Curiosity, Humility, and Enthusiasm are at the heart of students’ daily experiences so that they are successful at the college of their choice and in life:
- Grit: We never give up. We do whatever it takes. We find another way.
- Empathy: We understand and serve the needs and feelings of others. We listen first and welcome differences of opinion. We support our teammates.
- Achievement: We set ambitious goals. We focus on results. We make each other better.
- Curiosity: We are eager to learn. We explore new things. We ask questions that deepen our understanding.
- Humility: We embrace our mistakes because we always have room to grow. We relentlessly seek feedback. We are grateful for our opportunities and advantages.
- Enthusiasm: We choose to stay positive. We invigorate others. We go all in, all the time.
People’s Prep students benefit from a 6:1 student-to-staff ratio that ensures individualized academic and social-emotional support; an engaging academic program that emphasizes core instruction while also providing arts and sports offerings; and internships with area partners including Big Brothers Big Sisters, Teach for America, and the Newark Downtown District. The school’s instructors benefit approximately 300 hours of annual professional development and multiple leadership pathways. Together, these elements have produced promising results for the entire school community, including a 90% two- or four-year college acceptance rate for its first graduating class.
The Chief Talent Officer (CTO) is responsible for setting the vision and strategy for People’s Prep’s talent management department. This individual will provide both hands-on and high-level leadership and strategic direction while overseeing People’s Prep’s human capital needs. This role reports directly to the Co-Directors and is considered a leader within the school. People’s Prep is looking for someone who can optimize talent management and retention processes, develop human capital-focused tools and systems, and drive the development and growth of People’s Prep’s organizational culture. The CTO role presents an extraordinary opportunity to grow professionally while working for an expanding organization where human capital is front and center, providing an outsized opportunity to create impact.
This is a full-time position located in Newark, NJ. For more information on People’s Preparatory Charter School, please visit www.peoplesprepnewark.org.
The CTO’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Talent Acquisition Management
- Manage and sustain a pipeline of teachers and school-based leaders while forecasting talent needs
- Drive the school’s recruitment strategy in cooperation with the Communications team
- Lead the school’s diversity efforts, with a goal of increasing the number of teachers (and teacher candidates) of color as well as ensuring that People’s Prep is an inclusive workplace that values and is sensitive to the diversity of staff, students and families
- Continuously improve, track and optimize selection and induction practices
Communications and Marketing
- Manage sourcing and placement of job postings and negotiate recruitment agency fees
- Develop and manage partnerships with universities and schools to cultivate sustainable and viable sources of teacher talent
- Collaborate with the Communications team to develop marketing strategies to attract teachers and leaders
- Track the school’s online and social media presence
Culture Management and Employee Relations
- Lead culture initiatives and conduct performance appraisals that ensure a high performing organization
- Establish and lead processes that facilitate top-down, bottom-up, and lateral communication across the organization
- Regularly assess and report on employee motivation while developing strategies to boost morale when needed
- Play a leadership role in fostering of a culture of inclusion
- Shape organizational culture by driving staff experiences
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Experience (five years minimum) working in talent management in the education sector or in leading high-performing schools
- Expertise in the core aspects of talent management and organizational development, including but not limited to recruitment, onboarding, training and professional development, performance management, and employee retention
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Work well with people and cultivate relationships within, and outside of, an organization
- Present effectively and persuasively to diverse audiences
- Build departmental or organizational culture
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with an ability to inspire others, garner buy in and build relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- A profound understanding of the issues affecting talent supply in urban areas
- Willingness to set and drive priorities; monitor progress towards goals; and track timelines, data, and information
- A clear and unwavering commitment to the school’s mission and core values
People’s Preparatory Charter School has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To apply, please submit a compelling letter of interest and resume to Trisha Sutrisno here.
People’s Preparatory Charter School Achievement is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT applicants.
Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission driven organizations, educational institutions and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.