The William Davidson Foundation seeks a highly experienced, committed, and entrepreneurial Chief Program and Strategy Officer to oversee all of the Foundation’s programmatic work. The Chief Program and Strategy Officer will work closely with the President, Executive Committee, and the Board of Directors to ensure that the Foundation’s investments are aligned with the overall mission and vision, and provide leadership for all program-related activity and staffing.
Created in 2006 by William Davidson, the mission of the William Davidson Foundation is to honor its founder’s memory and to continue his philosophy of giving. The Foundation is committed to efforts to preserve and enhance Jewish life in the United States and abroad and also funds efforts to improve the economic prosperity of its home community in southeastern Michigan in order to make the region an even more desirable place to work and live. The Foundation has assets of over $800 million and will make upwards of $50 million in investments in 2014.
The Chief Program and Strategy Officer will report to the Foundation’s President and Chair of the Grants Committee. The Executive Committee of the seven-member family board will conduct an annual performance review. This is a full-time position located in Troy, Michigan.
The Chief Program and Strategy Officer works closely with the President and Board of Directors to create Foundation-wide strategic goals and lead the program team in the development, implementation and evaluation of all of the Foundation’s program-related activities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serving as a member of the Foundation’s senior leadership team; advising the President and Executive Committee on key policy and strategy issues related to the Foundation’s mission, funding priorities, and grant-making programs
- Developing and implementing a rigorous investment evaluation framework that ensures grants are cohesive, strategic, and implemented effectively
- Consulting with the Chief Financial Officer on operational and budgetary matters in support of Foundation efforts
- With the President and Board of Directors, serving as an additional public face for the Foundation by developing and strengthening relationships with grantmakers, government agencies, legislative staff, national organizations and researchers working on related issues and representing the Foundation in a range of forums
- Building and managing the program team, including hiring and managing Program Officers for the Foundation’s areas of focus as well as grants administration and support staff
- Working closely with the Grants Committee to ensure that grant decisions are aligned with the Foundation’s strategy
- Collaborating closely with the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors as well as the larger board to facilitate discussion and decision-making around investments and overall strategy
- Identifying priorities, gaps and trends in program areas and making recommendations accordingly
- Representing the Foundation in funder and cross-sector collaboratives
- With Chief Financial Advisor, lead annual planning and budgeting for grants programs and participate in annual organizational planning and budgeting
- Working closely with outside consultants to develop and disseminate key content and materials, including the Foundation Web site and Annual Report
Strong candidates will offer a genuine passion for the Foundation’s mission and goals as well as the desire to help shape the long-term vision and impact of a relatively young but significant family foundation.
Other qualifications include:
- Ten or more years of professional work experience which includes team/project leadership, portfolio management and/or organizational development or other transferrable experience
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders by building trust and effective, genuine relationships
- Deep people and team management skills, including the ability to build and manage a team
- Excellent strategic planning and execution skills, including experience developing and implementing tactical plans to fulfill a broader vision or mission
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and track record of building and growing new initiatives
- An independent, confident leader who is comfortable supporting a deeply committed and passionate President and Board of Directors
- A results orientation and a commitment to accomplishing concrete outcomes
- An understanding of the role philanthropy can play in shaping a public policy agenda and creating better outcomes for a broad range of people and organizations
- Graduate degree preferred
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (10-15%)
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The William Davidson Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Molly Brennan at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/767
The William Davidson Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About William Davidson Foundation:
Created in 2006 by William Davidson, the mission of the William Davidson Foundation is to honor its founder’s memory and to continue his philosophy of giving by:
- Supporting projects that will have a significant, long-term impact on the lives of the participants.
- Collaborating with organizations and individuals that are creative, visionary and transformational.
- Leveraging its resources to work with other organizations and grantors.
- Encouraging a spirit of entrepreneurship.
The Foundation seeks to have impact in the following areas of interest:
- Preserving and enhancing Jewish identity and tradition in Israel and the United States, with a special interest in Southeast Michigan.
- Strengthening and revitalizing Southeast Michigan.
For many years, Mr. Davidson was the Chairman and CEO of Guardian Industries Corp., one of the largest manufacturers of flat glass in the world. In Southeast Michigan, Mr. Davidson was well known as a civic leader, philanthropist, and the owner of professional sport teams, including the Detroit Pistons.
His family is dedicated to continuing and expanding upon Bill Davidson’s vision and philanthropic legacy.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained search and consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.