The Chief of Schools is responsible for promoting and sustaining exceptional academic achievement and positive school culture at Maya Angelou Schools. The Chief of Schools leads a diverse team of talented, dynamic school leaders to succeed in their roles. The Chief of Schools supervises our school leaders and is responsible for developing their leadership skills, with the expectation that s/he foster collaboration among all program areas.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, evolving, nurturing environment that is grounded in a comprehensive approach to education that focuses on academic achievement, social and emotional support, and career and college preparation so students are ready for life. In particular, strong candidates will possess the strategic, problem solving and communication skills to enhance the performance of staff and bring knowledge and experience as a former principal with a clear understanding of the challenges and opportunities in special education, alternative schools, and adult education.
The Chief of Schools must excel at building relationships among a wide variety of constituencies, managing a talented team of educators, and driving results. In addition to school leaders, s/he will work closely with the Board of Directors, administrative staff, and senior leaders of the See Forever Foundation to maintain and strengthen school quality. The Chief of Schools manages three principals and a Director of Special Education, is part of the senior leadership team, reports to the Chief Executive Officer, and is based in Washington, DC.
Build and manage a high-performing team of school leaders:
- Provide leadership, coaching, feedback, and performance evaluation, to ensure that school leaders are on track to meet school goals;
- Oversee high quality implementation of each school’s educational design, including standards, assessments, instructional guidelines, and school culture;
- Along with the human resources department, develop robust processes for hiring outstanding teachers and non-instructional staff who work with the academic program; train and support school leaders to make good hiring, professional development, and retention decisions.
Oversee organization-wide academic policies and practices:
- Align program, data tools, and online resources, and share best practices across Maya Angelou Schools;
- Support school leaders in the areas of family and community relations;
- Oversee major student discipline issues including expulsion hearings and chronic student truancy; and
- Work with data department to ensure that organization-wide data is accurate and is used to achieve results.
Implement academic priorities, including the following:
- Supervise the Director of Special Education to ensure that our special education program is compliant, successful, and supports our special education students;
- Develop with school leadership a competency-based learning model, support curriculum development, design, and alignment with school values and goals;
- Develop and support career and technical education pathways at all schools
- Support the implementation of instructional technology pilots and initiatives. Work collaboratively with leaders to establish vision for blended learning and instructional technology; and
- Oversee policy and documentation of all course offerings and grading.
Ideal candidates will have a deep knowledge of curriculum, curriculum development, and effective instructional practices, and proven success driving institutional change.
In addition, candidates should possess:
- An unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic and workforce skills, and can develop pro-social behaviors that will enable them to succeed in the workplace, post-secondary education, and beyond;
- The ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals, exhibit flexibility, and drive results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Demonstrated success leading or supporting the leadership of an alternative and/or adult education school;
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate and develop a diverse group of leaders;
- Experience with analyzing, interpreting, and using data to collaborate, identify best practices and areas for improvement, and drive results;
- The capability to effectively build, develop and maintain strong relationships with school leaders, staff, teachers, parents, students, Board members, and community stakeholders, while translating plans into action;
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills with keen attention to detail
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
See Forever Foundation has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Jackie Sergi at https://koya.refi.ne/jobPosting/apply/879.
See Forever Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About See Forever Foundation:
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation’s mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. In our schools:
- Over-aged under-credited, court-involved, and/or disengaged teens can connect with adults who believe in them, support them, and challenge them to excel;
- Curriculum is built around competency-based learning and promotion, where students at all academic levels and ages can achieve at high levels;
- Learning is relevant, meaningful, and engaging;
- Teachers are completely committed to educating some of DC’s most at-risk students; and
- Students graduate with the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with non-profits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.