BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) position is a redesigned role critical to supporting BSR’s ongoing growth and development. Reporting to the President and CEO, and as a member of the six-person executive committee, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting and budget processes, conducting strategic analysis of business performance and forecasting, and provide oversight of the finance, IT [and operations and HR] functions. The CFO is also the primary contact for the Board of Directors’ Audit Committee.
The CFO provides direct leadership and oversight for BSR’s Finance and Information Technology functions, including oversight of BSR’s global accounting operations; compliance with relevant legal requirements, and ensuring that business operations systems run smoothly and efficiently. S/he will also take an active role in partnering with Operations and Human Resources, to ensure that revenue and expense forecasting and staff allocation is managed effectively. This position oversees finances in a global, nonprofit organization that relies on diverse revenue streams, primarily consulting services, foundation grants and government contracts, membership dues, and events, especially a large annual conference.
BSR seeks the most qualified candidate to serve in its San Francisco office, working closely with colleagues in other BSR locations. The CFO’s direct reports include a Controller, IT Director, and indirect management of the remainder of the seven-person Finance team.
This position takes the lead on cross-organizational functions and activities, with primary responsibility for Finance, and oversight of IT, as well as input into Finance related aspects of revenue generation, staffing, and operations/infrastructure. The role is crucial in enabling the organization to achieve its mission; grow its activities; and operate efficiently, and is a core part of the organization’s Executive Committee.
Specific responsibilities include:
Financial and Operational Management
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP, IFRS, FASB, and tax rules for all jurisdictions in which BSR operates.
- Provide leadership and oversight of the Finance function, including:
- Ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting and analysis
- Reviewing and providing analysis of financial reports,
- Reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics, overseeing implementation of accounting systems (Intacct)
- Supporting and advising the President/CEO and other Executive Committee members in decision making
- Manage cash flow and revenue forecasting. Enhance a reliable revenue projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum sales thresholds to meet operating needs.
- Leadership of the annual budgeting process, working with members of the Executive Committee and other budget “owners,” resulting in clear financial metrics used to manage all aspects of the organization.
- Ensure that BSR’s management of financial reporting and cost allocation of revenue provided by charitable foundations and government funders is effective, accurate, and timely, and complies with funders’ requirements.
- Manage and track the performance of BSR’s banking relationships and enhance investment of cash in keeping with the policies and guidelines established by the board.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities including insurance coverage, internal controls, and input into the development and execution of contracts with member companies, consulting clients, and funders (charitable foundations, corporations, and government entities), as well as those related to the operations of BSR’s offices and legal status in multiple jurisdictions.
- Maintain internal controls and oversee with the board timely execution of all internal and independent financial audit activities, including leading communication with the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors
- Communication of key finance and operational matters to BSR’s Board and entire staff.
- Partner with the IT Director to procure and implement systems that meet the needs of the organization and to ensure ongoing maintenance and updating of infrastructure, including hardware, software, and ASP applications.
- Partnering with the President/CEO and other members of the Executive Committee, take the lead in assessing organizational performance against both the annual budget and BSR’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and executive committee – and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with BSR’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers new activities, revenue streams and collaborations with other organizations.
- Mentor and develop a team of 10 in Finance and IT, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Coordinate with other BSR units to ensure operational effectiveness, particularly on items tied to financial reporting and analysis.
The successful candidate will embrace the opportunity to lead finance and accounting operations for a growing, global, entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization. He or she will have the ability to ensure exceptional quality and attention to detail, while also operating in a mission-driven organization with people passionately committed to the content of their work.
The successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional leadership skills, with demonstrated expertise in financial management and oversight, and the ability to oversee, Information Technology, and contractual and legal compliance. The CFO will have a strong track record in working with global teams, and be proactive and consultative in his or her approach.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- The CFO will be a seasoned leader with at least 12-15 years of broad finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting, followed by experience in a professional services-based organization with at least five years’ experience in a senior management role, gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to boards and senior leadership.
- S/he will have excellent financial oversight skills and experience managing a global finance function (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) preferably in an organization comparable to BSR in size and complexity, engaged in both commercial and nonprofit activities.
- Strong analytical skills and experience translating a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Demonstrated success partnering with IT staff to manage critical business systems for both financial and programmatic work that involve high levels of coordination.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written fluency in English and an ability to share financial information effectively with a mission-driven staff.
- A hands-on, operational CFO with a strong service mentality and experience funding professional services activities to both cover costs and generate operating margins.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree; MBA preferred; CPA a plus.
- Passion for BSR’s mission and capacity to work and thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial, global organization with a highly collaborative culture.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional ethical standards and BSR’s core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
BSR has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno at https://koya.refineapp.com/jobPosting/apply/912.
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. BSR is an EEOC employer.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.