The Mission of Boston Plan for Excellence (BPE) is to drive exceptional outcomes for all students by developing great teachers and great schools. For three decades, BPE has devised solutions to the toughest challenges faced by Boston’s students and teachers by weaving together expertise in teacher and school development. We believe ambitious teaching requires not only effective teachers, but also systems that support great teaching and methods for continuous improvement. We have prepared over 600 teachers for Boston’s public schools through the nationally recognized and replicated Boston Teacher Residency (BTR) program and we have pioneered scalable, cutting edge data tools and whole school improvement strategies. BPE also created the Dudley Promise Corps (DPC) to leverage the power of national service to expand learning time, engage families, and provide extra support to students in the Dudley neighborhood.
Today, BPE is redesigning schooling for students and teachers by creating neighborhood-based Teaching Academies: a PreK-12 pathway of schools providing a world-class education for all students while preparing outstanding new teachers for the Boston Public Schools. In 2012, BPE launched its first Teaching Academy, the Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (Grades PreK-5), and in 2015 began operating a second Teaching Academy, the Dearborn STEM Academy (Grades 6-12).
The Chief Finance and Administrative Officer is a full-time position located in Boston, MA. For more information on BPE, please visit www.bpe.org.
BPE is seeking a dynamic individual with strong strategic, management, and interpersonal skills for a senior level position as the Chief Finance and Administrative Officer (CFAO). The CFAO is responsible for the strategy, financial health, and operations of this $7M organization, and has oversight of the finances of its two teaching academies, Dudley Street Neighborhood Charter School (DSNCS) and the Dearborn STEM Academy (DSA), including compliance with all internal financial controls and external regulations and reporting requirements.
In addition, this position will oversee operations for the organization, including human resources, information technology, and office management. The CFAO will report to the Executive Director and is a member of the Senior Leadership Team. As a strategic leader for the organization, this role also serves as the liaison between the BPE Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, and Senior Leadership Team.
The responsibilities of the CFAO include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provides strategic direction for the organization as a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
- In partnership with the SLT, provides leadership to the strategic planning process and implementation for the next strategic plan
- Provides leadership and direction to the organization and participates in organization-wide problem-solving and decision-making
- Develops the agendas for and manages all bi-weekly SLT meetings
- Ensures accountability and follow-up for SLT members to ensure the organization is following through on SLT-level commitments, including decision-making and strategic direction
Leads and manages finance for BPE, including the 2-3 member finance team
- Manages the external audits, including the A-133 audit, of BPE and DSNCS and the relationship with the audit firm
- Oversees the funder and grant reporting to ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets and manages the financial relationships with BPE’s Federal program officers and sub-recipient(s)
- Oversees the budget formation and monitoring of budget versus actual expenditures for BPE, DSNCS, and DSA
- Oversees the monthly close process and financial reporting for BPE and DSNCS, reporting to the Senior Leadership Team
- Reviews and presents quarterly financial statements for the Finance Committee and BPE Board
- Ensures proper maintenance of the accounting records in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Ensures internal financial controls are followed throughout the organization
- Ensures that the organization complies with all tax and regulatory requirements
- Brings a forward-looking and proactive stance to managing BPE’s finances
- Provides a financial lens to strategic decision-making
- Manages relationships with the third party administrator, federal grant sub-recipients, Investment Advisor, outside counsel, third-party administrator, Federal grant program officers
Leads and manages operations for BPE
- Oversees BPE’s outsourced information technology vendor, ensuring consistent, reliable, and high-quality information technology services for BPE internal staff and the staffs of DSNCS and DSA
- Oversees BPE’s outsourced human resources vendor, ensuring that staff are receiving accurate and timely payroll and benefits, the organization complies with all state and federal HR regulations, and the organization is receiving the right level of HR support based on its needs
- Leads the integration of operational activities to best support all departments within the organization
- Takes responsibility for and oversight of risk management for the organization
- Leads all capital improvements and functions of the physical office space
- Negotiates and manages related vendors and contractors
- Provides supervision and support to direct reports that results in their professional growth while meeting or exceeding goals
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of BPE;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance, CPA a plus;
- A minimum of ten years’ progressive work experience at a senior level in a non-profit fund accounting setting;
- Experience managing year-end audit processes, financial reporting, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll;
- Experience in grants management including compliance and reporting for government, corporate and foundation grants, including A-133 audits;
- Commitment to working as a hands-on member of a hands-on team;
- Working knowledge of and willingness to learn more about information technology, including managing service providers regarding tier one technology support in a Mac/PC environment and server and network administration;
- Working knowledge of and willingness to learn more about human resources, including managing service providers regarding HR compliance, benefits administration, payroll processes, and onboarding;
- Excellent computer skills and aptitude for software, particularly Excel and Abila/MIP;
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a flexible, entrepreneurial and opportunistic environment;
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically;
- Demonstrated success with large-scale initiatives, change management and culture shifts;
- Demonstrated experience directing and implementing new systems, processes and technology to enhance internal operations and organizational effectiveness;
- Strong organizational and management skills;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities;
- Verbal and written communication skills are essential;
- Ability to thrive in a culturally diverse environment;
- Passion for BPE’s mission and/or experience in public education a plus; and
- Adaptive flexibility and a sense of humor!
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package, including group health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and vacation allowance.
Boston Plan for Excellence has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Trisha Sutrisno and Shavon Bell here.
Boston Plan for Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.