About Illustrative Mathematics:
Illustrative Mathematics was founded in 2011 by William McCallum, one of the lead writers of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics. We are a community of educators dedicated to the coherent learning of mathematics. We collaborate online, sharing carefully vetted resources for teachers. We provide expert guidance to states, districts, and organizations working to improve mathematics education.
Our guiding vision is to help create a world in which people know, use, and enjoy mathematics. We are working toward this goal by:
- Illustrating standards with impeccably crafted tasks, videos, lesson plans, and curriculum modules.
- Serving as the premier source of freely available online mathematics content for teachers, teacher leaders, assessment developers, curriculum writers, and teacher educators.
- Convening a discerning professional community that creates content and deploys expertise in multiple ways.
- Engaging individuals and small groups, with rare and needed expertise, who are currently isolated in pockets across the country.
- Providing a space for teachers to share across classrooms and help each other grow in teaching our children mathematics.
Illustrative Mathematics is funded by a range of sources, including grants from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, and the
Helmsley Charitable Trust, and revenue from products and services. Our strategic plan is to develop next generation curriculum in grades K–12, founded on sound mathematics, presented in coherent progressions, and supportive of teachers’ understanding of mathematics and how to teach it.
For more information on Illustrative Mathematics, please visit www.illustrativemathematics.org.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) role is a unique opportunity to work with a highly regarded, skilled, and committed team that is changing the way educators and students see mathematics and the teaching of mathematics, in order to improve student learning of mathematics. The CEO will lead the organization through a period of growth, ensuring that the senior leadership team has the resources and support required to advance its work and that an organizational development strategy is in place that reflects Illustrative Mathematics’ desired growth from a strategic, financial, and operational perspective.
The CEO’s key responsibilities are:
- Work closely with the President and Board of Directors to develop and implement a clear, measurable strategy for organizational growth
- Drive increased demand for Illustrative Mathematics materials and services
- Ensure that the organization has a strong business foundation for desired growth
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management for the organization
Additional responsibilities include:
- Serving as the organizational manager, overseeing all day-to-day activities, effectively managing organizational assets, and providing leadership to the staff
- With the Chief Financial Officer, overseeing financial and operational management, ensuring the organization’s financial health, and implementing processes that facilitate growth and efficiency
- Driving marketing and business development; drawing upon the extensive knowledge and expertise of staff and other supporters to create and implement effective strategies to broadly disseminate Illustrative Mathematics materials and services
- Collaborating with other key leaders in the education and mathematics community and working closely with the President to leverage his network and those of the Board to build support for Illustrative Mathematics’ vision
- Working closely with the President on engaging and stewarding funders
- Communicating effectively and with transparency to the Board of Directors and staff
- Other duties as necessary for the leadership of the organization or as directed by the President and Board of Directors
The CEO will be a seasoned leader and manager who is committed to the Illustrative Mathematics vision for K-12 mathematics teaching and learning. S/he will also have the following competencies and characteristics:
- Understanding of or ability to learn about the K–12 education and curriculum marketplace, including its political and policy landscape, and a track record that offers a sense of credibility to a wide range of stakeholders
- At least 10 years of increasingly senior-level experience managing a complex enterprise, including proven operational and team management expertise
- The ability to develop and implement effective business plans with clear, measurable milestones and outcomes
- A demonstrated track record of success in partnership cultivation, business development, and/or fundraising
- Experience developing and implementing successful marketing and communications strategies that support business development
- A strong, entrepreneurial spirit and track record of high impact growth
- A highly collaborative and inclusive approach to strategic development and management, including the ability to listen to and incorporate multiple points of view into strategic plans
- A team-based approach to leadership and a deep respect for the expertise and experience that colleagues bring to the table
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to authentically connect with a wide range of stakeholders, from researchers to school district administrators to curriculum developers
- Exceptional relationship building skills, both internally, with staff, and externally, with a range of potential partners, supporters, and consumers
Molly Brennan and Sam Simmons of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Illustrative Mathematics is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.