About the University of Chicago Urban Education Institute (UEI) and UChicago Impact:
The mission of the University of Chicago Urban Education Institute (UEI) is to create knowledge to produce reliably excellent urban schooling. UEI conducts applied research, prepares classroom teachers, operates multiple school campuses, and creates and disseminates tools and solutions that are research-based and practice-proven. No other institution in the country joins these domains of work and depth of expertise under a single roof. This whole creates a powerful mechanism to improve student outcomes nationwide—UEI is uniquely positioned to make lasting and significant changes to the quality of American education.
The University of Chicago Urban Education Institute established UChicago Impact to share research-based, practice-proven tools and training to schools nationwide. Its mission is to transform the quality of schooling through the use of rigorous evidence to drive improvement in educational practice nationally. UChicago Impact achieves this mission by providing individual schools, school systems, charter management organizations (CMOs), and states with the highest quality research-based diagnostic tools and training designed to produce excellent school outcomes. UChicago Impact tools and trainings are derived from knowledge drawn from across UEI and are specifically designed to improve literacy, instruction, leadership, school organization, and college readiness.
UChicago Impact currently works in hundreds of cities and in 33 states – including some of the highest performing schools systems and CMOs nationwide (including KIPP, Achievement First, Uncommon Schools and Rocketship Education, among others). Now in its fourth year of operation, this successful social enterprise has grown from a staff of one in 2012 to annual revenues of $10M and is expected to continue on a steep growth trajectory in the coming years.
UChicago Impact is one of four units at the UEI, which also includes the Urban Teacher Education Program (UChicago UTEP), the University of Chicago Charter School (UChicago Charter), and the Consortium on School Research (UChicago Consortium). UChicago Impact is a not-for-profit LLC, wholly owned by the University of Chicago.
UChicago Impact is seeking a highly entrepreneurial, proven leader to serve as its next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and scale the organization nationally. The ideal candidate will be an innovative, results-driven, and progressive leader with the ability to build on UChicago Impact’s strong early success, leverage the strength and credibility of UEI, and harness the talents of an exceptionally dedicated staff of forty to improve the quality of schooling nationwide. This is an exciting opportunity for a growth-oriented candidate to provide leadership to a successful social enterprise and by extension, impact students and schools nationwide.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will serve as a member of the Board of Directors and will report directly to Sara Ray Stoelinga, Board Chair and Sara Liston Spurlark, Director of the Urban Education Institute.
The CEO’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Providing strategic leadership for all aspects of UChicago Impact
- Creating a national profile and successful growth trajectory, ensuring long term financial viability through careful expansion into new and existing markets
- Oversight of all day-to-day operations of the organization, including management, supervision, and support of staff and other decisions essential to UChicago Impact’s operations (including but not limited to business expansions, research and development priorities, strategic partnerships, and contractual agreements)
- Promoting a culture that reflects UChicago Impact’s values, encourages exceptional performance, and rewards excellence
- Communicating UChicago Impact’s goals and mission to internal and external audiences; building and maintaining sound relationships with clients and stakeholders
- Establishing relationships with new and existing investors to support ongoing growth and research and development
- Collaborating with colleagues at UEI and working with a deeply engaged board
- Supporting the board of directors, fostering its ongoing development, and keeping it informed about internal conditions and important external developments
- Oversight and responsibility for UChicago Impact’s financial position and outlook
- Ensuring timely submission of grant applications and progress reports for funders
- Overseeing the organizational operations and managing compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
The ideal candidate will possess the following personal competencies and characteristics:
- An excellent record of achieving and exceeding goals for organizational growth
- A substantial interest in and/or successful experience working with public schools and/or school systems to improve educational outcomes for children
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute with precision, build and strengthen infrastructure, and inspire partners and staff
- Executive management experience, with an excellent record of achieving and exceeding goals for organizational growth
- Superb interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders
- A persuasive track record managing people including hiring, rewarding, and motivating talented staff
- Experience in both the education and business sector
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Master’s degree or doctorate degree in business, education, or both
UChicago Impact has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
UChicago Impact is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.