About Bottom Line:
Bottom Line is dedicated to helping first-generation students from low-income backgrounds get into college, graduate from college, and go far in life. Our vision is to dramatically transform urban communities by producing thousands of new career-ready college graduates.
As one of the first college support organizations to focus on college completion, Bottom Line now produces best-in-class college graduation rates that eliminate the significant gap between first-generation students from low-income backgrounds and their wealthier peers. We operate regional programs in Massachusetts, where we were founded in 1997, New York City and Chicago that collectively serve over 7,000 students. We plan to open two new sites in major urban areas and increase our footprint to over 10,000 students by 2020.
Bottom Line focuses on students who have the desire and potential to earn a degree, but lack the support structures necessary to navigate the college application process, make a responsible school choice, succeed in college, and prepare for a meaningful career.
Over the last 20 years, Bottom Line has developed a proven and proactive long-term, high-touch, high-impact model. Full-time, trained and specialized advisors leverage our DEAL model which addresses the four key areas that are most likely to lead to college success: Degree, Employability, Affordability, and Life. Our relationship and results focused approach helps our students change their lives by gaining economic mobility through college selection, graduation, and career-readiness.
When you join Bottom Line, you will find a rewarding, fast-paced, results-oriented environment. We build strong relationships with our students and with each other. We take our work seriously, and we know that a focus on data and metrics is integral to our continued success. Experts in our field we are driven by our mission and we are extremely proud of the work we do.
For more information, please visit www.bottomline.org.
Bottom Line seeks a driven, visionary, and entrepreneurial Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide strategic leadership for a growing, national nonprofit. This is a unique opportunity for a passionate, results-oriented leader to scale an organization with a proven program model and a high-fidelity approach to supporting low-income and first-generation students. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the CEO will serve as the organization’s external leader, setting bold and ambitious goals and executing against them with the support of the staff and Board, while actively leading the continued growth of the organization to additional cities.
A compelling public speaker, the CEO will serve as the chief communicator and ambassador for Bottom Line and will elevate the organization’s profile and reach. They will inspire, broaden and deepen support from donors, including foundations, high-net-worth individuals, and key stakeholders. The CEO will develop strong relationships at the highest levels, generating support to advance and strengthen the mission, vision, strategy, and brand of Bottom Line. The CEO will act as the organization’s lead executive, fundraiser, and advocate as Bottom Line continues its growth trajectory.
The CEO will oversee a passionate, mission-driven staff and will continue to build the culture and advance the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. They will lead the Executive Leadership Team and three regional Executive Directors who support a dynamic and growing team of more than 150 staff across the organization.
This is a full-time position located in Boston, MA.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Leadership and Governance
- Provide vision and direction to lead Bottom Line’s growth strategy and multi-city expansion; work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to establish and implement strategic priorities that further the mission and goals of Bottom Line
- In collaboration with the Board and senior leadership team, execute and continuously refine Bottom Line’s strategic plan and goals to operate a growing organization of $13.5M in FY18
- Help develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors, recruit new Board members and actively energize the Board of Directors so it can fulfill its oversight, fundraising and external relations responsibilities
- Serve as the external face of the organization, enhancing Bottom Line’s visibility, brand recognition, and credibility
- Serve as a thought leader and advocate in the field of college access and persistence, engaging with leading thinkers and contributing to the growth and success of the movement
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with key partners and build a broad base of support and a network of champions for Bottom Line’s work
- Set and achieve ambitious fundraising goals for the organization; ensure that systems and strategies are in place to raise the budget for the national office and each regional location
- Work with the Board of Directors to design and implement fundraising strategies that increase and diversify Bottom Line’s revenue streams
- Cultivate, solicit and steward key individuals, foundations, and corporate donors, and ensure ongoing engagement of existing donors in Bottom Line’s work
Organizational and People Management
- Lead and support senior leadership team, working with them to plan and manage organizational growth
- Create and champion effective internal processes that enhance collaboration and decision-making between national and regional teams, and ensure multi-directional communications and feedback loops across the organization
- Effectively manage Bottom Line’s annual budget, provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports, and work with the Board and senior staff to ensure that business practices and plans meet all financial goals
- Model and champion Bottom Line’s values, mission, and vision throughout the organization, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills, experiences, and characteristics:
- Strategic and Visionary Leader: The CEO will bring demonstrated success leading a growing and high-performing organization, ideally, one with a national/regional structure. They will have expanded the footprint of an organization in multiple geographies while maintaining strong performance in existing cities. They will bring an inspirational and entrepreneurial approach to growth and impact, including a demonstrated ability to build support for ambitious goals and drive measurable growth. They will understand how to work effectively in partnership with a Board of Directors, and be able to attract new members to support the next phase of the organization’s growth.
- Passionate Advocate: The CEO will be a deep and empathetic believer in Bottom Line’s core mission of ensuring that low income and first-generation students get into college, graduate from college, and go far in life. While experience in higher education and college access is not required, the CEO will understand and believe in the transformative power of education. The CEO’s passion will be infectious, motivating others to support the organization’s mission and work. They will also bring an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and bring the cultural competency to interact with a diverse set of stakeholders, including the students served by Bottom Line’s programs.
- Authentic and Inspiring Spokesperson: An exceptional communicator and relationship builder, the CEO will represent Bottom Line externally with a diverse set of stakeholders and partners. They will understand how to raise the visibility and profile of Bottom Line, and build a network of relationships and support that position the organization as a leader in the college access field.
- Proven Fundraiser: Determined and motivated, the CEO will bring demonstrated success meeting ambitious growth goals and securing large gifts from a range of funders, from institutions to individual donors, foundations, and corporations. Dynamic, energetic, and creative, they will inspire confidence in donors, partners, and other constituents.
- Seasoned Organizational Leader: The CEO will have the ability to effectively lead and manage a national organization, with the capacity to develop and execute a variety of activities ranging from the external and visible to the operational and day-to-day. A natural manager, they will be committed to developing senior leadership and will ensure that staff at all levels have opportunities for growth and learning. A creative problem solver, they will work collaboratively with the team and be able to listen and evaluate to make and build support for decisions.
- Cultural Champion: The CEO will build and unify a positive, highly engaged team and culture. They will be able to inspire a diverse and committed staff, including early career professionals working directly with students, and will bring a high level of emotional intelligence to each interaction and communication. They will bring leadership, competencies, experience, and skills in equity, diversity, and inclusion, demonstrated through programming, organizational development, and thought leadership. They will embrace and model Bottom Line’s core competencies of Talent Development, Agility, Strategic Planning, Results, Inclusiveness, Communication, and Relationships.
Molly Brennan and Alena Guerra of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Bottom Line is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.