New York, NY or Remote | April 14, 2020
About World Education Services
World Education Services (WES) is a premier social enterprise organization that advances the global mobility and integration of people into academic and professional settings. This is done by evaluating and advocating for the recognition of international educational qualifications and enabling individuals to fully utilize their education.
WES believes in a future where barriers to the understanding or acceptance of academic qualifications no longer exists, and internationally educated individuals are empowered to fully contribute their education and talents to their new communities.
For more information on World Education Services, please visit website.
At this pivotal time in its history, WES seeks an outstanding financial leader to be their Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The successful CFO will be accountable for the administrative, financial, investment, and risk management operations of this $100m organization. Responsibilities include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). The CFO will provide effective assistance and counsel to the CEO, the Senior Leadership, and the Board of Trustees. Additionally, the CFO will manage the Finance and Accounting Team of 11 staff members.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Work with the CEO to develop and execute the five-year Strategic Plan and Financial Plan
- Serve as a strategic business partner to all SLT members and department heads
- Develop the financial and tax strategies
- Build the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) capacity and align with organizational data analytics
- Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support the company’s strategic direction
- Develop the annual budget alongside the annual operating plan and oversee the execution of the budget and any variances
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team
- Oversee the Finance organization and all financial activities
- Oversee the management of the Canada Finance Department and budget
- Oversee the financial operations of subsidiary companies and foreign operations
- Oversee all financial transactions and processing systems
- Implement operational best practices
- Supervise possible acquisition due diligence and negotiations
- Develop pricing approaches and conduct periodic pricing studies
- Negotiate and execute major contracts
- Maintain and oversee the issuance of financial information
- Review and approve all financial statements and tax filings
- Present all financial reports to the Board and Board Finance, Audit & Investment Committee
- Work with the Finance, Audit & Investment Committee to establish broad guidelines for WES’s investment portfolio linked to return and risk
- Monitor the progress of the investment portfolio based on accountability standards
- Manage investment activity, supervise investment activity, and review investment reports for investment policy compliance
- Develop investment policies, procedures, and controls in conjunction with the Finance, Audit & Investment Committee; adjust investment practices as needed to reflect changing investment markets, economic conditions, and portfolio size
- Provide investment reports to the Board and senior management
- Understanding of Mergers and Acquisitions
- Oversee the investment advisory firm(s)
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues affecting the industry
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Determine the appropriate level of insurance and manage the risk of the organization
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
- Work with the Technology Department to manage cyber and technology risks
- Report risk issues to the Finance, Audit & Investment Committee of the Board of Directors
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Arrange for debt financing, if needed
- Oversee pension fund investment options
- Manage the WES Fund and core investments as well as oversee the external investment firm
Vendor Management/Third Parties
- Maintain banking and auditing relationships
- Maintain relationship with major vendors
- Represent the company with investment bankers
- Oversee relationships with the legal counsel in the U.S. and Canada
- Oversee real estate leases in U.S. and Canada
- Maintain all of WES trademarks
- Strong Finance Leadership Track-Record
- Mastery of Follow-Through
- Strategic Orientation
- Management Depth
- Outstanding Planner
- Innovative and Forward-Thinking Approach
- Well Honed Emotional Intelligence Skills
- Decisive yet Diplomatic
- Collaborative Style
- Exceptional Communicator; both Written and Oral Skills
- Community Orientation and Global Outlook
- Values Driven
- Warm Sense of Humor
- Operates with Respect
- Engenders Immediate Trust
- A bachelor’s degree and commensurate experience that demonstrates exemplary strategic and financial acumen.
- A master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration (MBA), and/or equivalent business experience would be attractive.
- Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations considered highly desirable.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in Finance with a mid-sized company or a division of a large corporation. Multi-national experience is attractive.
- Experience partnering with an executive team and knowledge of working with a Board.
World Education Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, World Education Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Maureen Alphonse-Charles is leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please email Maureen Alphonse-Charles at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nadine Coleman at email@example.com. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
World Education Services is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.