About Forever Maryland
The Forever Maryland Foundation was founded to promote and advance land conservation statewide through education, advocacy, and outreach. The Forever Maryland Foundation brings together many organizations, land trusts and individuals to ensure that open spaces are permanently protected, benefiting our community, our environment, our economy and our children. With a statewide perspective, Forever Maryland encourages collaborative ventures intended to increase the organized capacity of conservation-focused entities and individuals to help sustain a high quality of life for those who live, work, and raise their families in Maryland. Forever Maryland’s helps ensure that Marylanders and those who visit Maryland will find a place where nature and natural resources are cherished for their aesthetic, economic, recreational, and health-related values. Forever Maryland encourages more people than ever to participate in conservation endeavors via a spectrum of outdoor activities – in urban, suburban, and rural settings.
It’s time to open wider and render more accessible opportunities for caring citizens and organizations to engage in conservation, expand outreach, forge new relationships, and ensure that Maryland’s natural resources will be protected and preserved for generations to come.
Forever Maryland forges networks of diverse collaborators to provide pathways for all generations to connect with and care for the beautiful and vitally important lands and waters of Maryland that sustain healthy, vibrant, and economically resilient communities.
Forever Maryland Foundation envisions a future where all Maryland’s lands and waters – mountain forests to ocean beaches, rural farms to city parks, sweeping rivers to tidal bays — are actively stewarded, appreciated, and enjoyed by all Marylanders.
Our Conservation Impact
The four specific Conservation Outcomes Envisioned by Forever Maryland:
Increase Land Under Protection
To double the amount of land in Maryland permanently safeguarded for the future, based on the 2015 baseline. These lands represent the full spectrum of places necessary to support a prosperous and vibrant future for Maryland – working farms and forests, cultural sites, playgrounds, parklands and all the places in our communities we seek to set aside for its ability to connect us to nature.
Increase the Connection Between People and the Land
To establish in every region of the state a highly visible network of Ambassadors Landscapes and people to showcase and demonstrate how people are experiencing, connecting, restoring, and productively using land in sustainable ways.
Shift the Stewardship Paradigm
To establish a self-sustaining network of citizen stewards to ensure that all protected lands are actively stewarded and advance the goal of engaging the next generation of land conservation professionals and advocates. Represented by landowners, local land trusts, jobs corps, volunteers, and diverse community partners, Forever Maryland Foundation will support, promote, and encourage networking and collaboration across regions of the state. With the land as teacher, the citizen stewards will have the capacity to inspire and engage the next generation of land stewards.
An Urban Renaissance Campaign
To support the emergence of a transformative Regional Conservation Partnership in Baltimore via a comprehensive plan for urban land conservation, stewardship, and park experiences. Baltimore is a city in crisis and faces several challenges, specifically: neighborhood abandonment, acres of vacant lands impervious to rainfall, and some of the worst poverty in America. In focusing its first urban initiative in Baltimore, Forever Maryland Foundation can serve as a missing catalyst to collaboratively contribute to a large network of partners all working together through community projects to rebuild and restore Baltimore’s community parks and open spaces. Using the healing power of land as a force for change, Forever Maryland will help foster unique public – private partnerships and provide technical assistance, conservation strategy, fundraising support, and planning. All these efforts can lead to the discovery of unique, new tools and partnerships that contribute to the realization of the City’s and Inner Suburb’s current green network plans. This initiative will serve as a proving ground for Forever Maryland’s work in other urban areas in the state.
For more information on Forever Maryland, please visit forevermaryland.org.
Forever Maryland seeks an inaugural CEO to build on the organization’s strong foundation and compelling vision. Strong candidates will be highly entrepreneurial, committed to Forever Maryland’s innovative approach, and inspired by the opportunity to be of service to all of the people and organizations working to protect and preserve Maryland’s natural resources.
The CEO will be responsible for the following:
Strategic Vision and Organizational Leadership
- Developing and implementing strategies that achieve Forever Maryland’s vision and mission
- Overseeing financial and operational management, including presiding over the annual development of the budget
- Conceptualizing the foundation for Forever Maryland and implementing an initial array of programs and services to advance its mission, vision, and top priorities
- Building an entity capable of growing its presence and impact in Maryland by identifying, engaging, enlisting, and retaining individuals to fill a variety of roles as Board members, advisors, volunteers, ambassadors, and members
Chief Fundraiser and Spokesperson
- Raising funds by identifying and cultivating new donors and sources of support
- Serving as an external spokesperson for Forever Maryland, building awareness of the mission and engagement from key stakeholders and partners
- Building a base of fiscal support for Forever Maryland by pursuing private sector philanthropic funding sources (individuals & families, the corporate and professional community, and foundations), public sector support (federal, state, local), and other creative sources of revenue for the organization
- Acting as a strong liaison between Forever Maryland and Maryland Environmental Trust to strengthen the relationship through trust, communication, operation and deliverables
- Implementing creative opportunities to enlist the support of local and regional communities across the state to advance Forever Maryland’s work
Commitment to the Mission and Values Alignment
- Fostering a shared commitment to the Forever Maryland’s mission amongst staff, Board, and external stakeholders
- Passionate commitment to the values and mission of Forever Maryland
- Inspiring the Conservancy’s visitors to value and protect our planet and the biodiversity that lives here, because the future of human health and well-being depends on it
- Attracting, retaining and managing a team of professional staff capable of implementing and advancing Forever Maryland’s mission and vision
Board Partnership and Communication
- Partnering closely with the Board, ensuring that there is alignment on goals and organizational strategy
- Spearheading the development of a pipeline of new potential directors
- Managing the Board agenda, helping to facilitate initiatives and productive Board committees
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in relevant roles, with a focus on strategy, fundraising, management, and overall operations oversight and fiscal stewardship
- Proven track record of achieving growth and accomplishing impactful outcomes in leadership roles in the nonprofit sector, particularly with new and entrepreneurial initiatives
- Knowledge of the land trust environment in Maryland highly beneficial, understanding of conservation/land trust landscapes regionally and/or national also helpful
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate staff, donors, community, corporate, and public sector leaders; volunteers; and, other supporters and friends of Forever Maryland
- A leadership style that is entrepreneurial, creative, and solutions-oriented; experience managing significant organizational growth is highly desirable
- Solid fiscal experience, including management of a budget, identifying revenue sources and streams, anticipating contingencies, and creating viable and sustainable long-range fiscal plans
- Possessing the highest level of personal and professional integrity, interpersonal skills, judgment, quality standards, a strong work ethic and a demonstrated ability to collaborate and build coalitions with a wide range of individuals and organizations at the local, regional, and national levels
- Strong service orientation, a desire to leverage skills to help advance organizations already working in the field
- Understanding technology and value of using technological tools to reach out to an array of audience via multi-platform strategies that optimize the use of technology and social media to supplement the use of print materials and personal engagement
- Detail oriented with the ability to see the big picture
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed to represent the organization; capable of the commitment to work on weekend and evening engagements
- Proven ability to work remotely as Forever Maryland is a virtual organization
- Passion for the environment and a demonstrated land conservation ethic, with a deep concern for preserving and protecting our natural resources
Compensation & Benefits
Forever Maryland offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and benefits. This is a flexible location role, the CEO may work in any of Maryland’s significant cities or Washington, D.C.
Koya Leadership Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan and Shelby Woods are leading this search. To make recommendations or to express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Forever Maryland is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+, and other underrepresented applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.