Flexible Location, USA | September 8, 2020
About Clean Air Task Force
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a non-profit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. With nearly 25 years of nationally and internationally recognized expertise on clean air policy and regulations and a fierce commitment to fully exploring all potential solutions, CATF is an environmental advocacy group with the bold ideas needed today to solve the climate crisis.
At Clean Air Task Force, we are practical climate problem solvers. Our goal is to explore any plausible solution that offers promise, even if it is not in the environmental or philanthropic mainstream. We are a 25-year-old organization with a startup mentality, bold ideas, and an honest perspective.
Push the change in technologies and policies needed to get to a zero-emissions, high-energy planet at an affordable cost.
Achieve zero-emissions energy, waste, agricultural, and forest management systems by 2050.
Meet the world’s rising energy demand in a way that is financially, socially and environmentally sustainable.
For more information about Clean Air Task Force, please visit: https://www.catf.us.
The Director of External Affairs Opportunity
CATF is seeking a dynamic, mission-driven Director of External Affairs who will be responsible for managing CATF’s organizational communications strategy and brand development. The Director will develop strategic communications plans at the organization level, at the programmatic level, and for fundraising efforts, and manage the implementation and execution of these plans. The communication plans would target several key audiences including government and business decision makers, donors and funders, stakeholders, and the general public, and would engage through many channels including social media, earned media, CATF’s website, and a variety of other sources. This position would work closely with CATF’s Communications Director, whose primary responsibility is to maximize the impact of earned media from traditional media sources. The Director of External Affairs will work with our organizational leadership team, Program Directors, and fundraising/development team to coordinate strategies, ensure cohesive branding and messaging, and to design and execute communication campaigns. This work would include overseeing external contractors such as writers and graphic designers. A strategic understanding of social media is an important requirement for this position.
The Director plays a critical leadership role in both day-to-day operations and setting long-term strategy development and implementation. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of External Affairs directly manages the overall communications and external affairs for CATF.
The Director of External Affairs will be accountable for, but not limited to, the following key responsibilities:
Organizational Communications Strategy:
- Work with leadership, fundraising, and program staff to establish goals and priorities, identify key audiences, and develop a comprehensive communication strategy and implementation plan. Manage the implementation and execution of this strategy with staff as well as external consultants and contractors.
- Establish and report on metrics for success/progress in key channels and with key audiences.
- Lead a cross-program communications team to coordinate alignment with overall strategy and maintain consistent messaging.
- Develop CATF’s social media playbook with new strategies to increase reach and expand audience and manage CATF’s social media channels.
- Manage CATF’s website to ensure there is consistently fresh and engaging content.
Advocacy Communications, Content and Strategy for Programs:
- Work with Program Directors to establish a communication strategy for programmatic efforts/campaigns.
- Work with Program Directors, staff, and consultants on the execution and implementation of this strategy.
- Work cross-functionally to develop fresh/new content and insights to support program efforts and fundraising needs.
CATF Marketing and Brand Management:
- Refine and promote CATF’s brand and vision.
- Develop content strategies and manage content pipeline to promote CATF’s impact and thought leadership.
- Develop key messages and positioning to differentiate CATF from other organizations via engaging, informative, and innovative content.
- Set and meet targets to achieve increased brand influence, reach, and visibility across all owned and earned channels.
- Donor Outreach and Marketing:
- Work with fundraising team to develop messaging and collateral for donor outreach.
- Develop new communications channels for engagement with key donor audiences that aim to retain and increase giving.
- Work with fundraising team and marketing consultants to develop, manage and execute giving campaigns and other outreach initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and attributes:
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Clean Air Task Force
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- 5-10+ years of experience in a communications, branding, and marketing management/leadership role (nonprofit a plus)
- Experience in building strategic communication plans and executing campaigns
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, competing deadlines, and managing multiple campaign elements
- Experience managing and measuring web and social media including content development and promotion
- Experience with various social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube), content management systems (e.g. WordPress), performance metric tracking tools (e.g. Google Analytics, SEO, Twitter Analytics), and automated marketing/communications solutions (e.g. Mailchimp, Hootsuite)
- Not required, but will help candidate succeed at CATF:
- Experience with issue advocacy or political campaigns
- Experience and knowledge in energy, climate, policy, or clean-tech space
- Experience planning and executing donor/funder communications and outreach campaigns
- Self-organized, self-directed, entrepreneurial
- Excellent collaborator, will have to work well across multiple teams with varying structures and management styles
- Able to synthesize and filter a lot of input
- Managing and prioritizing among competing goals/objectives
- Organizing teams around a coherent vision/brand
- Superb written communications skills and the ability to effectively communicate complex concepts in an engaging and accessible way
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. CATF’s central office is in Boston, MA, but the location for this position is flexible.
Clean Air Task Force has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. To express interest in this opportunity, please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms at Koya here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Clean Air Task Force is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. CATF does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation or other characteristic covered by law with regard to employment opportunities.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits and NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.