Washington, DC | October 11, 2021
About the Black Wealth Data Center
The Black Wealth Data Center (BWDC) is a startup organization with a mission to elevate data, tools, and insights for a Black Wealth Data Platform. This platform aims to provide best-in-class research and resources to the private and public sector to work towards achieving racial wealth equity. The main goals of the BWDC are to:
- Increase access to data around Black wealth.
- Foster engagement amongst those who are working to address issues related to Black wealth.
- Promote research and materials with information related to Black wealth.
- Enable the better design, implementation, and impact measurement of interventions that aim to increase Black wealth.
To start, the BWDC is being supported by a global foundation with an initial $20M investment.
The BWDC seeks an entrepreneurial and strategic leader with the tenacity to build and implement the BWDC’s mission and vision. With an eye towards innovation, the Executive Director (ED) will create a foundation of work that will last for decades to come. They will be an organization builder, a persuasive champion and ambassador of work, and an inspiring leader committed to closing the racial wealth gap.
With a strong understanding of data science and technology, the ED will be in tune with best practices of the sector. The ED will have the ability to translate research and data to a variety of different audiences and accurately convey the importance of this work in mitigating the challenges to studying the racial wealth gap. The BWDC is building a best-in-class platform that supports the sharing of knowledge across different networks and audiences. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to reimagine the role that data can play in achieving racial wealth equity in Black communities.
In addition, the ED will be an exceptional communicator, collaborator, and results-driven individual. They will be committed to racial and social justice and understand how to build a culture that is inclusive and one where people can show up as their authentic selves. As a new organization, the ED will be comfortable operating in ambiguous and complex environments, with multiple priorities.
The Executive Director will be a dynamic and innovative thinker with the ability to manage well-executed, highly impactful, and scalable initiatives.
While no single candidate will have all these professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics, the ideal candidate will possess the following:
Passion for the Mission:
- Embodiment of the values and mission of the BWDC to inspire and motivate others to action.
- A strong belief in data to address and improve the racial wealth gap.
- Vision for a bold future of possibilities for increased impact and continued growth.
- A strategic and enterprising mindset to lead with diversity, equity, and inclusion values.
- A commitment to racial wealth equity and a holistic understanding of issues that impact it.
- Proven ability to set the strategic vision of the organization and to develop and promote the strategies needed to advance the work.
- Ability to lead through change and growth in the evolving landscape of data and racial equity.
- Track record of inspiring and empowering an exceptionally talented staff.
- Strength in analysis of trends and the design of data agendas, with an emphasis on the intersections between issues, systems, industries, and sectors.
Strong Ambassador and Partnership Orientation:
- Expertise in fundraising and relationship building with a history of generating new revenue streams.
- History of exceptional partnerships with practitioners, policymakers, and key constituents both internally and externally.
- The ability to serve as a thought leader and ambassador, comfortable representing the BWDC in the field to enhance the organization’s impact and advance its mission and strategic priorities.
- Enthusiasm for seeking opportunities to highlight and amplify the impact of the organization in the community and identify ways for the BWDC to advance the field.
Business and Financial Acumen:
- Efficient operational and financial administration skills and the ability to set strategy, prioritize, and manage new products and initiatives.
- Understanding of how to build and launch digital products and/or how to leverage resources and tools to create an effective platform.
- Experience overseeing the formation of the annual budget and the ability to review and adjust as needed.
- An understanding of data and metrics and the ability to translate complex information to different audiences.
- Proven ability to plan project scope and details, budget preparation and management, and to set priorities and guide investments in people and systems.
In addition, strong candidates will offer:
- An innovative and creative solutions-driven focus.
- Ability to successfully administer and manage projects, budgets, and grants with exceptional quality and project follow-through.
- Collegial, team-oriented, and can-do working style.
- Keen organizational skills, including strong capacity to manage and coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize among multiple tasks within a fast-paced organization.
- Ability to be both strategic and involved in the day-to-day.
- A minimum of 15+ years of progressive experience.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Black Wealth Data Center strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.