Who We Are:
FoodCorps believes every school should be a healthy school and every child – regardless of race, place or class – deserves to be well nourished and ready to learn. In underserved communities across the country, our AmeriCorps leaders teach students about healthy food through hands-on lessons, partner with farmers and food service workers to create nutritious and delicious school meals, and collaborate with communities to insure a long-term culture of health. Building on this foundation of direct impact, FoodCorps pursues systemic strategies that will benefit all of our nation’s 100,000 schools.
What We’re Looking For:
FoodCorps is seeking a highly motivated individual to manage FoodCorps program implementation in Arizona. Reporting to the Senior Director of National Programs, this position is responsible for managing the recruitment, training and ongoing support to a cohort of approximately 8-12 AmeriCorps service members serving across urban, rural and Native communities in Arizona. As FoodCorps’ sole and primary staff member in the state, this position will lead the program and liaise closely with the national program team. Through effective implementation of our Theory of Change and Healthy School Toolkit, the FoodCorps Arizona Program Manager will ensure that the schools we serve will continue to make incremental progress improving their healthy school food environments, with the eventual goal of school-wide programmatic sustainability. Additionally, this position will be responsible for building relationships with current and potential schools and districts and other key stakeholders that shape school food environments through their work and decisions.
This full-time position will be based in our Arizona office, and requires statewide travel and occasional travel to national program events. Special events may sometimes require weekend or evening work.
Who You Are:
You are motivated to address one of the biggest societal issues of our time: childhood health. You possess and are able to deploy the diverse skills of program delivery, relationship building, network management, and leadership development across a broad swath of projects and deliverables. You excel at translating national priorities to local contexts while also being adept at facilitating new program developments that meet the needs of communities served by FoodCorps. You are highly collaborative, with the ability to manage projects independently and remotely. You have a solid background in the theories and practices of FoodCorps’ three areas of service and are generally well informed regarding farm to school, school garden, nutrition education, healthy schools, and community organizing. You have experience managing teams and supporting new, pre-professional leaders. You are an effective communicator and are known for delivering high quality work products. You are flexible and able to function well within situations of high levels of ambiguity, and are adept at seeking and using feedback to shape your work. You have a commitment to diversity and inclusion with a desire to work for health equity and social and racial justice.
-Lead, manage and oversee FoodCorps Arizona program
- Ensure superior program quality and fidelity across service sites in partnership with national staff and existing FoodCorps networks
- Oversee and help evaluate the implementation of program priorities like the Healthy School Toolkit and Sprout Scouts
- Oversee program performance management and monitoring, including data collection, site observations and AmeriCorps compliance
- Selection and management of service sites
- AmeriCorps member recruitment, selection, training and management
-In partnership with FoodCorps national staff, support the development of a statewide strategy for future scale and systems change for FoodCorps programming in Arizona
- Identify high need school districts that are ripe for partnership with FoodCorps
- Identify, maintain and establish partnerships with high quality service sites for member placement
- Ensure FoodCorps’ financial health through collection and monitoring of school and/or service site partnership fees
-Serve as key contact for FoodCorps’ partnership with AmeriCorps
- Support national staff with AmeriCorps compliance reporting in Arizona
- Lead AmeriCorps site visits as requested
- Strong commitment to national service and supporting AmeriCorps members
-Develop and sustain professional relationships with key stakeholders across Arizona including, school district leaders, principals, peer organizations and tribal leadership
-Develop and Implement In-State Trainings
- Design and implement trainings for service members and site supervisors, including state orientation, site supervisor training, and other events.
Skills of the Ideal Candidate:
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing race, class, gender, place and other social justice barriers
- Minimum three years experience working in non-profit management in a related field, ideally in a school/education setting
- Experience working with Native/indigenous populations, preferably in an educational setting is highly desirable
- Strong local knowledge of Arizona networks for farm to school, child health, tribal communities, health equity, food security, and other related fields
- Strong internal drive and ability to manage and deliver on projects independently
- Entrepreneurial, with a creative drive to solve problems and identify and fill gaps
- Learning oriented, with a desire to seek and use feedback to shape your work
- Effective written and verbal communicator, comfortable communicating through phone, email, and video chat functions and speaking in front of large and small groups
- Experience working with school and school district administrators and school personnel
- Strong foundation in the unique needs of FoodCorps’ network of service members and site partners
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until our ideal candidate is identified. To be considered, submit your résumé, cover letter and salary requirements through our hiring site at http://foodcorps.hiringthing.com.
FoodCorps pays salaries that are competitive with nonprofits of our budget size and geographic location, and offers generous vacation and medical benefits, 401(k) matching, professional development funds and a sabbatical policy. This position is a manager-level role with a salary range beginning at $47,000.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. FoodCorps is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. FoodCorps is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions. FoodCorps provides reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees as required by law.
Applicants with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation at any point in the employment process.